Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:23 pm 

Well, to start with a contradiction.
There is no limit on price, but, every penny I save can be put to good use one something else.

I'm looking for a good tripod and ballhead for some time now. Up till now I used a not so cheap vanguard tripod, but it has proven that the tripod head is not steady enough. So the search is on. After reading quite a few internet reviews and bloggs telling me to go for the right ting the first time, and not lingering around in cheaper area's. Choosing the upgrade after upgrade route. I'm puzzled.
Basicly I got three contenders Manfrotto, Gitzo and RSS (reallt right stuff).

Manfrotto 468MGRC2: I already own a monopod head with a manfrotto quick release system, and in store the first look build quality did not appear to be very different from the gitso.

Gitzo GH2780QR: Heard al lot of good stories about their products. But their ballhead didn't lock rock solid, and therefore I compare it to the manfrotto one.

RSS HB-40: First off, I think that the HB-55 is overkill. In reviews on the net it is said that this thing locks rock solid. But what is rock solid? not being able to try it out in the store it might be as rock solid as the gitso or the manfrotto. Big downside are the expensive product specific plates.

As said I prefer cheaper if more expensive ain't better. Max lens used on this thing will be a 400mm (a 200mm af-d with a 2x extension tube, that I maybe someday will buy). So given the weight, I don't there is a problem with the given ballheads, only with the extension tube. RSS advises a 55 above 200mm but I think that is more about the weight of a real 400mm lens and not a 200 with an extension tube.

So have any of you experience with the given ballheads, do you got some advise. Is RSS really that much better than the rest.

Have a nice Christmas.