Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:54 am 
i think non canon-nikon-sony is very conservative in their production. They prioritize on proftis rather than market share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:58 am 

Hi folks,

There's a brief "hands on" of the E-P2 here at the Online Photographer. Now, if Olympus would just incorporate that EVF into the camera body with the eyepiece at the top left as you look through it... 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:49 pm 
Gordon, you'll be happy to know that I'm still contributing to Cameralabs.com by buying stuff through Cameralabs.com's "partner" links. I just spent an arm and TWO legs getting the EP2, the 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter, and a 12-60!!! Also bought a Kindle the other day. I'm trying to help the economy turn around here in the US (even though all this stuff is made in Japan or China). I'd rather stimulate the economy by buying stuff than paying more taxes!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Oh yeah, I'll let y'all know how the EP2 works out. Woohoo!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:19 pm 
Armanius wrote:
I just spent an arm and TWO legs getting the EP2, the 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter, and a 12-60!!!

Lucky you. :) Make sure to post a photo of that combo.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:38 am 
Armanius wrote:
Gordon, you'll be happy to know that I'm still contributing to Cameralabs.com by buying stuff through Cameralabs.com's "partner" links. I just spent an arm and TWO legs getting the EP2, the 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter, and a 12-60!!! Also bought a Kindle the other day. I'm trying to help the economy turn around here in the US (even though all this stuff is made in Japan or China). I'd rather stimulate the economy by buying stuff than paying more taxes!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Oh yeah, I'll let y'all know how the EP2 works out. Woohoo!!!

great news! can't wait to hear how it works out for you. you should check out Kirk Tuck's work that he's been doing the E-P2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:07 am 
Yes, I've actually exchanged a couple of messages with Kirk. He wrote a nice review of the EP2 on Amazon. He sounds pretty knowledgeable. A Nikon to Oly convert! I'm looking forward to the weaker AA filter on the EP2. I miss the sharpness of the E510. I think I'll probably try to sell the E620 at some point (need some $$$), and then wait for the E3 successor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:17 pm 
Just received the EP2, MMF1 adapter and the 12-60. Haven't done much with it yet, b/c I'm at work. First impressions:

(1) The EVF is amazing (at least in decent light conditions). If I had not know that the gizmo was an EVF, I'd swear that I was looking through an OVF. Only difference is that the view is HUGE and bright compared to the OVF of the E620! I can actually manually focus with the EVF!

(2) The EP2 is hefty. It's also not very egornomic. Still trying to figure how to hold it. With such small lenses, it is hard to the typical hold under the barrel of the lens.

(3) Button layout seemed illogical. Forces user to do just about everything with the right hand. Definitely don't like the feel of the control dial that's on the top right of the backside of the EP2. The rotary dial that's on top of the four way jogger (bottom right of the camera) can be accidentally turned (just like in the Canon S90). So you can accidentally change settings very easily.

(4) The AF is not as slow as I thought it would be (on the kit 14-42 m4/3 lens). It's clearly slower than the AF in a Panasonic G1 that I tried before. But the AF is definitely faster than the live view on the E620, and at least as fast as the AF in my Canon S90.

(5) The MMF1 adapter (4/3 to m4/3) is hefty and big too. I used the 25/2.8 pancake on it, and the total length of the lens w/ adapter is about the same as the kit m4/3 14-42 when retracted. Except the 14-42 is lighter. The AF is also slower when using the MMF1/25 pancake combo. However, the images (as seen through the LCD of the EP2) were pretty sharp using the 25 pancake. Will use it with othe 4/3 lenses when I get home.

(6) Did I say the EVF is amazing??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:12 am 
Totally impressed with the IQ of the EP2 so far. Here's a photo using the 40-150 lens via the MMF1 adapter. Shot under dim indoor lighting in my kitchen at ISO1600, noise reduction set to low. No PP other than shrinking to 1024x768.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:33 am 
iso1600 you say? definitely looks like a great result!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:35 am 
Hi Armanius,

congrats on your new acquisition! I've been very attracted to the PENs for quite some time - frankly I'm tired of hauling around DSLRs.

Do you feel that this is a camera you could bring with you always...I mean everywhere you go, every day? Is it small/light enough for you to consider it as an everyday companion...?

Hope to seem more shots from you..

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:37 am 

LahLahSr wrote:
... Is it small/light enough for you to consider it as an everyday companion...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TYCzC7LLhg

If that's not small enough then how about http://www.vimeo.com/7457703

Not sure about the camera, though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:48 am 
Nice video there Bob! I felt way too distracted by the actress though. I didn't focus on the camera very much! ;)

@ LahLahSr:

The body size of the EP2 is definitely smaller than your typical SLR, although not much smaller or lighter than the Oly E410/420. However, one needs to consider the size of the lens as well. Even with the 17mm pancake lens on the EP2, the size is still larger and heavier than a G11. So it's definitely not pocketable, unless one is wearing some HUGE cargo pants. With the collapsable 14-42 kit lens, I definitely cannot carry the EP2 in any of my pants' pockets (or even coat pocket).

Is the EP2 an everyday companion, bring everywhere you go camera? In my opinion, it is not. That being said, it is much easier having the EP2 hanging around my neck than an E520 or even E620. I think the EP2 makes a great travel camera, if not everyday camera. I'm spending my holidays out of town, and I'm only carrying the EP2 with me. I'm carrying it either around my neck, just holding it in my hands (with a wrist strap), or in my messenger bag. Didn't even bring a point and shoot with me this time around.

My everyday camera nowadays is the Canon S90. I always have that with me (but not on this trip). The EP2 beats the living daylights out of the S90 in terms of image quality though.

Because you also mentioned replacing a SLR, keep in mind that the AF in the EP2 is way too slow to handle non-static subjects such as children and sports. However, if one is not shooting moving subjects, the EP2 can be a SLR replacement. The AF on the Panny GF1 is much faster than the EP2. But probably still not fast enough for sports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:53 am 
A few more shots with the EP2, all with the collapsible kit 14-42 lens (some PP work done with Oly Master):

ISO 200

ISO 1600

ISO 1600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:11 am 
Armanius,

I got a chance to hold an E-P2 today at a local camera shop. I was very impressed with the EVF. Focusing speeds in the shop weren't really slow. It was pretty exciting, I wasn't expecting to find one so close by. Can't afford it right now though.

Post subject: EP2 with Zuiko 9-18
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:13 pm 

I for one am giddy about getting an EP2 / 9-18 combo. ..alas Santa wasnt quite that good to me this year. I remember using a Contax G2 range finder years ago and was awed with the wide angle performance that a short lens to sensor (film in those days) provided.

I have no concern shooting anything faster than ISO 400 and was happy for years using 50 ASA film.

Has anyone tried the 9-18 on the EP2?
are there any comparisons between other Oly DSLRs using the 9-18 vs the EP2?

Japhy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next