Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Camera Case/Holster
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:18 am 

Hi everyone,

I am looking to take my camera on hikes, where I will be carrying my regular backpack. I am looking for a case/holster which will fit Canon 500D with lens attached, which I can just throw into my backpack.

What case will be best for this? It does not need to have the thickest padding etc. It just needs to be big enough to fit the body with a 55-250mm lens attached. It is better if the case is small so that it will not take too much room in my backpack.

Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:50 am 

Pelican makes cases of all sizes and for just about everything.

http://www.pelican.ca/

With one of these the case could be attached to the outside of your pack if you wanted and afford relatively easy fast access to your camera.
Waterproof,dustproof,crushproof almost bulletproof..lockable, floats.
Choose a size that will fit the body and your largest lens,purchase extra foam for other lenses later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:09 pm 

Well, they certainly look safe if not anything else. But I don'y know if I want to add the extra bulk of a hardcase when I am on the trail.

My backpack is already gonna be pretty full with sleeping bags and tents. That is the reason I was looking at something small I can put into my backpack and either have it at my chest or waist when I am shooting. thanks for the suggestion again.
Any other ideas??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:40 pm 

What about Canon's own case?

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:53 pm 

I wondered about that but they come in alot of sizes.
Myself I could stand to be a bit less warm on a hike than have my gear busted up but thats just me...lol
My cam is stored in my alot when not in use.
That Canon's own case looks good but would it handle the 250mm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:56 am 

I doubt it would hold the 250mm. I am just having a look at the pelicans, but some people say it is too cumbersome to carry and use. Is that true? Does it provide you with quick access in practical use? How heavy are they? These are the things I am really looking into because I don't want to buy them and finally just use them as camera storage in my cupboard if its not easy to carry around or use. Your thoughts on that?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:23 am 

Santhosh,

If it was a case for one lens with the body attached it may not be too bad for a backpack.

You can calculate the proper size for your camera here...

http://www.pelican.ca/calculator.php

For 1 body and a lens the size of my 200mm I'm not thinking the case would be all that large.
It IS however a SOLID case.
Not sure how comfy it would be against your back hence attaching it to the outside of the pack.

My case is a 1550 more like a small suitcase to allow for my 500mm and a few other lenses.

http://www.pelican.ca/cases_detail.php?Case=1550

Definately too big for your purpose but still has room for an extra body with another lens attached. :D
Pictured is my K100 body with 300mm attached in the 500mm slot and a 50mm with hood attached set in vertically in it's spot.
My cams frequent wet/fast open boats and saltwater alot, as well strapped down on the front rack of a four wheeler for day trips through all sorts of "stuff" :twisted:
Never a worry for me.

It's a GUESS but a case to fit one body and lens...I would say about the same if not less than the wieght of your cam
Accessibility = 2 latches, flip them open open lid and viola,cam at hand as pictured above.
When the lid is closed camera is completely/snugly encased in at least 1" of foam all around.
The foam in the case is precut into squares that you remove to customize to whatever you want.
Relatively easy process no tools required....measure TWICE-cut ONCE :wink:

If you happen to know anyone in law enforcement or paramedics/search and rescue/fire dept.
I'm sure they could show you a case similar before making a purchase.
If you didn't I'm sure if approached they would willingly oblige a look anyway.

Hope this helps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:13 am 

Definitely helps, thanks for the picture too. Will try to look for one small enough to fit in or outside a backpack. Thanks