Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:58 am 

My Nikon AF-S VR Micro Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8 G ED lens arrived yesterday and was waiting to be unwrapped when I got home. I patiently unwrapped it, taking photos as I went. Here's the lens:

I then took a few snaps with it in the fading evening light. I hand held the camera, a good test for the VR of the lens. I've done some post-processing in Lightroom to fix the white balance, exposure, add an s-shape to the curve and add some vibrance, saturation and sharpening.

First up here are some closeups of my most recent watch purchase.

The Unitas movement shot using natural light (1/60, f/7.1, ISO640)

The movement again, this time using the onboard flash of my D80 (1/125, f/3.2, ISO200)

A closeup of the blued swan's neck regulator using the onboard flash (1/100, f/4.0, ISO200)

I then took a few flower shots (I guess this is a traditional macro subject). The first two are of an orchid my wife bought recently. The final one is of a flower in our garden.

1/60, f/8, ISO200

1/60, f/2, ISO200

1/60, f/10, ISO200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:05 pm 
my 'things to buy' list just got longer :x hahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:34 pm 
Nice shots.

Like your watch :)
Like the lens even more :lol:

As Jay put it - my wish list also got longer ! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:23 pm 

My first impressions with the lens are very good. The only problem I had was that it was hunting for focus a lot. I put that down to the bad light. I'm really pleased with the post-processed photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:43 pm 

Welcome to the "best-macro"-user-club! But you're rigth: the lens is hunting near and far.
When I do macro work, I mostly rely on manual focus or continuous-AF: Without tripod the greatest challenge is to keep the right distance! Swaying back and forth is not compensated for by the VR-system. Which otherwise works very well even with large magnifications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:36 pm 
Congrats on your purchase Phil!!

Great shots there.

My wishlist also has just increased :lol:

Hope to see more of your photos soon!

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:16 am 
Hi Phil,
How are you getting on with your macro lens? I'm planning on getting one and wondered if you though it was worth paying the extra to go for the Nikkor and VR. At the moment I'm kind of set on the Tamron 90mm because of it's excellent reviews and price! I'd probably use manual focus anyway so I'm not too fussed about hunting, but if I really though the VR would make that much difference to handheld macro shots then I would go for the Nikkor.

Also, what do you use and recommend for lighting?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:52 pm 

Let me chime in here as I've also used the micro-Nikkor for real-life macro-shots.
The VR is invaluable shooting handheld! You cannot imagine how much amplification your shake gets when magnification increases towards 1:1 :shock:

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:29 pm 
Thanks Thomas, I thought that would be the case. Can I just ask you a question about lighting? You have the SB800. I understand that the difference between the SB600 and the SB800 is that with the SB800 you can take it off the camera and it works by wireless...is that right? If you're shooting handheld, how do you also hold the flash at the same time?....or do you prop it up somewhere in the direction you want it to flash?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:04 pm 

Mark, the SB600 can also be used as slave triggered by the onboard flash!
As to what do I do with the remote flash? There is a nice stand where you can prop up the slave with and set it up anywhere (not sure whether the plate is incl. with the SB600).
but I have many times shot with the slave just in my left hand holding it some 45° up and to the left. Beautiful light!
Only thing you have to whatch out for: don't cover the remote sonsor with your hand :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:35 pm 
Thanks Thomas, I didn't realise the 600 could be used as a slave. Oh well, more decisions to make...more money to spend :lol:

I wonder if anyone has ever said, "I have all the photographic equipment I need and there's really nothing left I'd like to buy!".......I doubt it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:38 pm 

Well, after buying the D3, the 12-24, the 24-70, the 80-400...
I think, I'm done :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:38 pm 
Nice shopping list Thomas!!! We can but dream... :lol: