Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:42 am 
So I've decided to get a tripod for meself.

Read Thom Hogan's take on them like Bob has recommended many a time. Quite agree with the logic. Hence going for the most expensive, sturdiest one I can afford.

Choices boil down to:
1. Induro AX213---- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... ifications

2. Giottos MTL9360B---- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... ifications

3. Cullmann Magnesit 528---- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... ifications

4. Manfrotto 055XPROB---- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... ifications

-- All of these are around the 170$ mark, while Cullmann is 109$.
-- Induro & Giottos have tilting & horizontal column, Manfrotto has horizontal column, Cullmann only vertical
-- In order of weight -> Induro(5.6lbs/2.6kg), Manfrotto(5.3lbs/2.4kg), Cullmann(4.4lbs/2kg), Giottos(4lbs/1.8kg)

Main uses will be general purpose shooting, longer exposures, landscape. I go on hikes so I want to carry the tripod with me for the landscape stuff. What do you guys think is the maximum weight you would be comfortable carrying as far as tripod goes?

So for the above mentioned, which of these do you think is the better choice?

Note: I have added all these models so that others who are looking for tripods in the popular Price/Performance category can consider these for their individual needs. I have done extensive searching (there really aren't many reviews on tripods as people would like to see) and these were the ones it boiled down to in this price point, so I hope it will be useful.
{Note again: A true upgrade from these models, i think would be Carbon fiber, so these be considered by folks who cannot break the bank to go carbon}

ALSO for the BALLHEAD--- I have decided on the Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm head-- very solid at a very good price- I think a real winner if you cant spend upwards of 300$ for one.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... ifications

Thank you all,
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:05 am 
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7063

This was the review of the Manfrotto that sealed the deal for me.

I have had mine for about 3 months, and am very happy with it. I was never very comfortable with putting my camera on my old tripod (its was very cheep, and it did break while my camera was on it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:44 pm 
Thanks Mike,
Yes I have seen that review. I was just wondering how portable the Manfrotto is, can it be carried around for a long time on hikes?

I would really like some opinions on the Giottos,Cullmann and Induro models. One reviewer mentioned that the Induro was more stable than the manfrotto and giottos. What experiences do you guys have?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:39 pm 
Also, does using the horizontal arm have any disadvantages in terms of stability or vibration?

Can I make do with a non-horizontal arm model if I want to do macro?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:34 pm 
Sorry, but I have no experience with the Giottos, Cullmann or Induro models.

I have attached my camera strap to the tripod, and carry it on my shoulder, it is a little head heavy, so while not uncomfortable, it is a little awkward. Two of the legs have foam grips at the top which makes makes carrying it a little easier.

I have taken mine out on a photography field trip, it lasted about 3 hours, but we were only waking for about 30 mins of this. I would not like to take it on a hours hike.

If I was looking to take it on a long hike(and with my physique anything more than 40 mins, and more than 100m in altitude is a hike), I would probably invest in a backpack that I could strap it to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:46 pm 
. . . and in regards to the centre arm. . . .

It not so much using it in the horizontal position, but using it fully extended.

When fully extended either vertical or horizontal, you will get some vibration through it. My 16s exposures are blurry with it fully extended, but not when its in its lowest position.

My one real gripe about my tripod/head/batter-grip combination, is with the legs fully extended, and the centre arm in its lowest position, the cameras' eye piece is just above my eye level. I either stand on my toes, with my heal's a few inches from the ground, or only extend 2 sections of the legs, and then extend the centre arm to my eye height. This is not an issue with the tripod/head itself, but a level of incompatibility with my height. With the second option of only 2 legs section extended and the centre arm set to around 75-80% of its total height, I do need to watch for camera-shake-induced-blur.

Hope this helps, sorry I cant make mention of the other tripods. I will say though, I don't think my photography has improved with the tripod. Most of my photography is event, candid and portraiture. The need for a tripod is some where near nill for this type of photography. Of the few thousand photos I have, if I were to pick my favourite 10, 100 or 1000, they would most likely be all hand-held. My 2c.