Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: -1 EV?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:39 am 

robackja wrote:
If the polarizer is going lessen the light by 1-2 stops, why do you recommend setting a -2/3 or -1 EV? Isn't that going to just make the exposure even darker?

cheers

Maybe this is not for DSLR's, but if I set my compact to -2 EV the image becomes brighter.

But this shouldn't matter. The exposure is measured through the lens, which means the filter is already calculated in by the camera?

Post subject: polarizers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:32 pm 
i have tiffen cpf and am happy with the results

terry

olympus e510 18-180 f3.5 50mm macro 2.0 50-500 sigma big mama 2x tele

Post subject: polarizing filter
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:38 pm 
hi there i have a B&W 77mm glass polarizing filter bought from Vistek for $249 and i've never used it. I don't think it fits in to my style of photography so am selling it. If any one is interested please feel free to e-mail me mlclark08@hotmail.com

It's only 2 months old and never been used. If you want any photos or have any questions feel free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:28 pm 
Hi, I have Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ35. I want to buy Hoya PRO1 Super HMC UV Filter. But FZ35 thread size is 46mm. It required the DMW-LA3 lens adapter. Since above type of filters are not available in 46mm size. But they are available in 52mm size. But I doubt wheather this will fitt into the camera or not?
Please advice wheather 52mm filters can be use with FZ35 using DMW-LA3 lens adapter direcly or using step up ring?
If so will this give any problem while operating or image quality?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:36 pm 
Quote:
Maybe this is not for DSLR's, but if I set my compact to -2 EV the image becomes brighter.

I think I heard that this is none of those weird differences between Nikon and Canon. On my Canon SX10 -2 EV means a darker image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:06 am 
nileshlambole - if you get a 52mm - you will need to remove your filter before powering down your FZ-35. I would suggest buying a Marumi DHG slim 5mm Circular-Polarizer from http://www.2filter.com/marumi/marumicirpolarizers.html - they make one in your size - 46mm. I looked around for Marumi reviews and it looks like they are good product.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:37 pm 
Thanks for the great tutorials - as a DSLR novice I appreciate all the help I can get.

Quick one - I have a Nikon D40 and just bought a polarising filter - am I right in thinking that the filter will only really work on the manual setting as otherwise the camera will compensate for it (ie in auto mode will self correct)?

Also re the D40 - with only 6MP - will pictures look pixelated if I blow up to A4 size?

Thanks on both counts!

Post subject: Need help testing my CPL
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:26 pm 
Hi all
I bought a new Sigma 10-20 lens with both UV and CPL. They are both from Kenko. I need help testing out both my lens and my CPL. The issues I have so far are:-

1. The sigma seems to have a small circle in the middle of the viewfinder which makes the scene lighter. Like a small 'whiter' circle. I need some help explaining if this is normal or if there is a problem.
2. There are dark corners on my CPL that appears mostly on the upper corners. They changed a bit when i twisted the filter but its still there. The dark corners appear at F3 10mm (widest i could make this lens).

Please reply asap as my 10day retail warranty is nearly up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:01 pm 

Please tell me you are not stacking the polarizer on top of the UV filter ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:52 am 
Not stacking both UV and CPL. dark corners only appear with the CPL on only. I strongly suspect it is because of the thickness of the CPL. However the sales argues that no one has complained his recommandations before so I guess I need a hard evidence and tests that I could perform to show the sales person to exchange a better CPL.

I'm still not sure about the circle in the middle of the viewfinder. It doesnt seem to appear or affect the final image taken. Only seen on the viewfinder which is really odd to me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:12 am 
Hi,

I have recently brought a Nikon D5000 with its kit lens and was looking to buy a Polarising Filter for Nikon 5000. could someone tell me if the HOYA HMC filter is avaliable in Dubai, UAE.

Or, could someone tell me an Hoya HMC equalivent Polarising Filter for the Nikon D5000 18-55mm VR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:20 pm 
Is CPL an ideal filter for hiking, with all the scenery shots/ waterfall shots?

Is it a filter that could be left on the camera all the time for shooting other things that don't need 'polarizing?'?

Or is it a good idea to switch back to a UV filter when not needed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:28 pm 
Quote:
Is CPL an ideal filter for hiking, with all the scenery shots/ waterfall shots?

In a word, yes. (In a big way)

Quote:
Is it a filter that could be left on the camera all the time for shooting other things that don't need 'polarizing?'?
Or is it a good idea to switch back to a UV filter when not needed?

You mention hiking. When Im hiking I normally replace my UV filter with my CPL, this way its marginally less weight, but more importantly something else that isnt going to break, putting it on and off in less than perfect conditions. Only downside is you cant just snap away, you need to align it before EVERY shot, which can get annoying.

For every day use though I put it on and off as desired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:50 am 
Did I get ripped off??

"This product is licesedby Hoya"

The filter I picked up on Ebay says Genuine, the rest of the packaging and the filter seem very genuine. The build quality is very very good. I'm not sure what to think right now..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:26 am 
That's a genuine Hoya filter. Just checked on the website of the biggest photo store in my country. They are more expensive than normal Hoya filters,so this is good news.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next