Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Gin, I can vouch for the stores on our affiliate page here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Affil ... ping.shtml

Otherwise run the name through www.resellerratings.com to see what others are saying, and if the price is much cheaper than those on our affiliate stores, BEWARE!

Post subject: ordered ZS3
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:48 am 
Thanks again, Gordon.

I finally did it. I placed my order for my ZS3 thru your link with Amazon. It was from a third party dealer called Vann's. They have a good rating on the reseller link you gave me. That made me feel alot better. It is a bit unsettling to spend $400 on something I've never seen in person. I'm not a risk taker.

However, I read so many reviews, (yours being the one that led me to this camera) I feel like I already know it pretty well. I'm really excited to get it and start playing with all of the great features. Things have changed alot since my last camera.

I am coming from a Canon PS SD500, which was fine till it was dropped and the lense jammed. I was tempted to throw it on the floor again to unjam it when I found out it would cost $130 to fix it. It's sad to just give up on it, but a comparable camera costs about that much NEW! :cry:

Anyway, I can't wait to get my new camera. Thanks for your detailed reviews and this helpful forum. :D

Best wishes.
Gin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:31 am 
Hi Gin, I have also found that camera repair isn't worth doing after the threads on my Canon A640 got brittle and crumbled away. Turns out the thread is part of the battery compartment, which ahs to come out, send the camera in, yadda yadda etc, the repair estimate was almost what you'd pay for a new one at the end of the day, so I didn't repair - instead, started looking around for a replacement - which is how I found CameraLabs, through Youtube :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:35 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi PP, welcome on-board...

I remember reviewing those Sony Mavicas! Very popular in schools apparently because there was no memory card to nick. But yes, they were basically battery-operated floppy disk drives with a built-in lens and sensor!

The brown TZ7 / ZS3 doesn't appear to be on sale in the USA. It may be a European model only. Sorry!

Mavica's lol AWESOME, used to sell those back in the day - low res but they could work with sod all light ! My selling point was to snapshot someones eye and put it on the screen so they could see their iris - used to have em flying off the shelves lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:59 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Gin, let us know when it arrives and what you think. Don't forget to enter our monthly assignment too - and that goes for everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:03 am 
Assignment ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:56 pm 
HI ! I am new here. Ive wondering over internet in search for information regarding Panasonic tz7 , and after 2 weeks I found right place ;) Im very interestin in this camera , however , I have few doubts..
first..Im from Europe , Croatia to be exact . Here , as in all Europe , we have PAL tv-standard . I am thinking of buying this camera over ebay or b&h foto video. all items I see are not panasonic TZ7 but ZS3. I read this whole topic , as you all said , there are two(or one) major difference ; ZS3 has unlimited video time , and , more important ;: american version (zs3) is producing NTSC clips , which might not be playable on TVs in PAL standard ,. Am I right? Maybe difference in number of FPs ?

my question is , If I go with ebay/online sale and got this ZS3 , will I have any problems?
I am not very interesting in editing video material , but , sometimes I do that , like add another sound to do clip .
Thats funny , I have Panasonic tx37x10 plasma , 37 inch plasma which has that VIERA link , as I read , it should be compatable with all Panasonic cameras.

another question ... you mentioned sister model , TZ6 . Here in my country , TZ6 is approx. 100 euros/150 USD cheaper than tz7 .
Is tz7 worth 150 USD more than tz6?
I know it doesnt record Hd videos , I can live with that.Is image quality poorer?in the end , I buy new digi cam for taking pictures , and I see that Hd video got lot of attention of reviewers all over the world, but at the nd of the day , I look at pictures , video rarely .

now about tz7....here in one store its showed like ina showcase , I mean , you can play with it . feels like a king of compact cameras , hard , stiff . In short , I feels like it was made by germans :D
If I will have choice , Ill defenitly fo with black . Silver looks .. I dont know , cheap.
somebody mentioned that dial on the top .. in time I played with it , dial was good enough.Its not best dial Ive seen , but its ok . Zoom seems like a bigger potential problem , its so..its moves to easily.But that wont be problem for me I dont zoom that much . Which I like on Pany tz7 is that it has fewer buttons than most compact cameras . its more conveniant to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:20 am 
Site Admin

I can't answer all your questions, but yes, the ZS3 will produce 30fps clips, but if you have an HDTV and are connecting with HDMI, it should work fine - I can't offer any guarentees though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:20 am 
Hi all

I'm at the breakpoint of buying a new compact camera and the TZ7 looks like the ideal camera.
Now my problem is that I don't know if I should wait for the successor of this camera ?

Greetings
Locutus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Well there's always going to be a new model coming out, so it depends if you want to wait, or if you want to start taking photos now! Also, if the TZ7 / ZS3 already does everything you want, then there's no point waiting.

We can't predict future releases, but the TZ6 and TZ7 / ZS3 were both announced in January, so there's a chance the next one may only be a couple of months from being announced, although it may not be on sale until around March.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:33 pm 
Gordon - thanks for the answer .

To be honest , now Iam more confused than before . I found out that FZ35/8 is just a little more expensive than tz7 . I really dont need zoom - but dimensions could be problem for me . However , Ill deal with that , if FZ38 is that better than tz7 . is it?
I read both reviews , no need to say that . I uderstand they both use similar "processor" . My ultimate question is : will FZ38 make significantly better photos than tz7 ? size of fz38 taken in observation ...

If somebody had used both of cameras , it´ll nice thing to compare them to me . thank you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

I always try and take the same photos for the gallery pages, so you can compare the image quality there on both reviews!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:17 pm 
Yes , I took a look on that . But in general - is it worth it extra money?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:42 am 
I did a research on both the items, and though verdict was to go with the FZ35/38, I finally went with the ZS3 as my wife got shocked that the everyday use camera was gonna be chunk sized FZ35!!!!

While they look similar in paper the FZ35 lens is of a much higher quality than the ZS3 so it works better specially in low light. The additional manual controls also assist to take better photos in low light, and for action photography. And remember you had the auto mode just like the ZS3 in case you don't want to use the manual controls.

The ZS3 fairs rather poorly in low light as it has a lot of noise, and the flash is also on the weaker side. The flash is rather inadequate for group photos, specially with its very wide angle and you will have the corners getting dark and rather murky. The FZ will do better in such situations.

The FZ also can take filters, which means you can block the light under harsh condition to get some nice photos specially in strong light conditions.

The FZ also has manual controls for video, so you can actually focus on a particular object while the rest are blurred, which can be nice :)

The FZ also has a much better battery capacity, so more shooting with a single charge.

In good light though both will give similar outputs, and the slightly wider ZS3 may give you a larger view here!

So if you want better low light, more control over your shots the FZ is the better choice. So assuming its not your daily use camera which should be pocket friendly, the FZ is a better choice (and the extra zoom is useful too).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:56 am 
hi everyone, i'm new here!

Firstly- great site! I love the detailed reviews so thank you! Also, sorry if this is not the right place to ask this - please let me know if I should start a new thread.

I am in the market for a new camera, as I am travelling to South America for 4 months in Feb and I havent upgraded my camera in a Lonnng time (prob about 6 years!).

So, I had decided on the TZ7 (i'm Australian, its TZ7 here) but I have since had it suggested to me that I may be better off with a waterproof/dustproof model due to some of the things I will be doing (like a stay in the Amazon Jungle, hiking the Inca Trail in the Andes, Rio Carnival, volunteering at an animal clinic in Boliva etc). If i were to go with a water proof model, I like the look of the Lumix FT1/TS1.

Could anyone please help me make this decision? Do I really need a waterproof camera, or will the TZ7 cope ok with high humidity at times and some rugged conditions? The photo quality from the TS1 looks great, and I know I would enjoy not having to worry about it get damaged regardless of what I did with it, but I think I will regret only having 4.7 optical zoom and not the 12X optical zoom offered on the TZ7.

As an aside, I had also considered the Fuji Finepix F70EXR if anyone thinks this might be a better choice for my needs?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next