Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:30 am 

K... I have no intention on going pro as I have never been one for deadlines and I find when I have them I loose my passion for the subject very quickly... that being said I am selling more and more of my wildlife pics, 7 in November, and I am curious as to how things break down...

Now.. without getting into specific prices as that would change based on country you are in, how large, or small, the company is you are selling it to or what their circulation is and all sorts of other factors including of course what you feel the pic as well as your time is worth and in my case how rare the animal is or hard it was to gt the pic of the subject.

What I am curious about is if anyone charges based on what size the pic will be if it is going into some sort of publication or the importance of the pic as it pertains what it is being used in... in my mind if it is a full page pic compared to a 1/4 page pic they obviously find it more important so as such does one ask for more for that or if it is the pic which headlines an article or finally if it would be a cover pic.... or do you just sell the pic and that is it? The last is what I have been doing to date.

Also... has anyone ever been asked by an artist if they could use your pic for a guide for a painting or other form of art piece and if so do/would you charge for that?

thanks in advance for your ideas on this.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Wolfsong, I edited your subject heading to make it a bit clearer what you were asking, although feel free to edit it...

I know some of the bigger libraries would charge a client differently depending on the usage - for example a quarter page versus a cover or a billboard. Some effectively do the same by charging more for a higher resolution version, assuming you won't want to blow up a lower res image too large.

As for selling photos to painters as guides, you may want to talk to patti about this as I believe a painter used some of her photos before - albeit without payment as I recall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:26 am 

thanks gordon... love the idea of usng resolution to limit usage based on price.

I've done the same for artists so far as 2 pretty famous canadian wildlife/nature artists live within 1 hour of where I live. For me it was an honor to think one wanted to use one of my photos as a guide but always thinking ahead as I do and as they will in the end hopefully make money off it I'm leaning towards some fee at least... mind you its hard to say no to ppl you admire so much :)

I have sold a pic for a 1/2 billboard before and was amazed at the price they offered. Shocked me as it was not of a rare species and could easiliy have been a picture taken by anyone who had a weekend to spare driving and hiking close to where I live. But I guess its up to the buyer and what they see in the pic cause for me it's a pic I could capture at any time during the summer. (it was of a hawk)

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr