Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:31 pm 

I'm wondering how persons used to holding a camera with 3 points of contact (2 hands, eyepiece) find shooting with the gf1 (or ep1 for that matter) at arms length. How do you keep the camera steady? Also, does the experience of holding the camera at arms length change the way you approach composition? Or is the evf a mandatory purchase ? :D

Thanks,
DR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Doug, shooting with the screen on the GF1 or EP-1 at arm's length is no different from using any other compact. It works fine for me, although having the viewfinder does, as you say, provide potentially greater stability - which can be useful for the GF1 and 20mm as they're an unstabilised combination. You may also find my comments on the design page of my GF1 review useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm 

Welcome Doug to the Camera Labs forum!

I sure would wonder how to hold the camera steady for somewhat longer exposures, because not only do I rely on three points of contact, my in-camera stabilization has often been useful too. Since using a DSLR, I haven't really liked shooting compact-style cameras, I just prefer a viewfinder. However, I think it's easy to adjust to a new set if gear, and you'll probably get used to the different way of shooting in not too long a while.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:18 pm 

Left ellbow on left lower rib.
Left hand supporting the camera body with your thumb and lens barrel with your fingertips as far to the front as possible.
This stretched support hand style that gently supports instead of gripping, between thumb to rear and fingertips to front hold, reduces the natural pivoting tendency at the center of gravity of the camera and steadies your shot regardless of how contorted a Houdini position you may end up in while shooting!
Body slightly to right with respect to subject.
Right arm extended with hand on trigger.
Breath.
Hold.
Release.
In reality you will never shoot fully extended, the screens are too small for that.
About 30cm to 50cm is all you need, and supporting the lens barrel with your left fingertips as far to the front as possible, you control shake quite well, whether stretched out for the screen or tucked in for the viewfinder :)

"Why is a big piece of glass for a camera called fast? I've never seen any of my lenses run away!"

K100d Super, K100d, lots of "fast" glassy stuff

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:26 am 

Thanks everyone for the replies. This weekend I'm going to try shooting with a friend's compact to see if I can warm up to an lcd only solution.

Gordon - I think the world of your reviews. Thanks much.