Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lumix TZ3 and FX33/55
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:10 am 
I currently own a Panasonic Lumix FZ1 and love the pictures that it takes. I have rarely been disappointed with the shots I've taken, besides the blurry pics once in a while (end up taking every shot on burst mode to be safe because of that)! Even action shots come out fairly well if I have everything lined up and ready. I'm in the market for a new camera though because as much I like my camera, it is a major annoyance to bring around with me. I rarely use my camera because of it's size, so I'm looking for something a little more compact.

Right now I'm having a hard time deciding between the TZ3 and the FX33 or 55. I've read multiple reviews on both (most in-depth on here, and the video walk though was the clincher for me), but I haven't been able to really spot the major differences between either ones. I'm leaning towards the TZ3 because of the zoom (current FZ1 is 12x optical, 3x digital), but the FX33/55 have me caught with the size since they will fit into my pants pocket a lot easier with very little buldge. Are there any major differences between these models, and if so - how important are these differences?

My other question has to deal with picture quality. I borrowed my fathers DMC LZ3 the other night since it is very similar to the TZ3, and I have to say I am disappointed in the pictures. Indoors, it kept wanting to put the flash on - and with the flash off the pictures came out way too dark. I decided to take a quick pic tonight for comparison with my current camera. Both cam's were set at Vivid, Auto ISO, Normal picture mode, and using tungsten balance since these were taken at night and indoor.

LZ3

FZ1

I will be taking pictures in a variety of settings, but I will say that a decent amount will be indoors and not always the most ideal shooting conditions. As you can see, the FZ1 has a slightly brighter picture.

I'm just curious if this is something I might have to worry about with the TZ3, especially because I took the LZ3 out last night to a party and the only pic that came out decent was with a flash, and that made everything way too bright. Does the fx33 or 55 have such issues as well?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:30 am 
Site Admin

Hi Ardvics, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

It all depends on how small you want the camera to be and how much you want a 10x zoom - the TZ3 is like a chunky compact and the FX33 / 55 are definitely slimmer, but they don't have the 10x zoom of the TZ3. So is the TZ3 small enough? Only you can decide!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:36 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi Ardvics, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

It all depends on how small you want the camera to be and how much you want a 10x zoom - the TZ3 is like a chunky compact and the FX33 / 55 are definitely slimmer, but they don't have the 10x zoom of the TZ3. So is the TZ3 small enough? Only you can decide!

Hey Gordon - thanks for the welcome! I guess I will just have to see if any of the local shops carry these models so I can compare the size in person to see which one fits best.

I am still curious on the differences between the two photo's taken. I checked the EXIF on each, and everything looks identical. Zooming in to 150%, the FZ1 is more pixelated, while the LZ3 looks more smooth yet a bit fuzzy and the colors are not as bright. It was mentioned in a previous thread that the persons image looked great on the LCD, but once the picture was snapped the results were much darker - which is exactly what I experienced. I'm just curious if this will be a problem when taking indoor shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:12 am 

I got the TZ3 for my girlfriend as a present. The smearing your talking about is because of the noise reduction, which does seem to be a bit excessive in my opinion on the TZ3 (should not be used over 200). When it comes to compacts it is what you have to deal with though. The pictures taken with iso below 200 look good, even inside. If you think that they are too dark you can always change the exposure compensation.

I don't think you can expect the TZ3 with its 10X zoom to perform as well as a large super zoom, but in my opinion, it performs just as well as smaller compacts. My girlfriend is certainly happy with it and becoming more happy as she is learning how to use it properly (ie not using iso above 200, not using auto iso).

Hope this helps

-John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:48 pm 
Bit delayed on this, but I wanted to give a quick update:

I went with the FX-33 and it's a great little camera. It took me a while to get used to some of the settings, and although I don't always get an amazing picture, I still have been able to take amazing shots!

Only disappointment is the zoom - I wish it was a tad bit stronger, but besides that the size is perfect to fit into a pair of jeans w/o feeling too bulky, and everyone who has seen it is amazed at all the features and quality of the pictures. The self-portrait mode is the one that seems to get everyone the most since it's a great way to take pics w/ friends w/o having to find someone to take the shot for you.

Is it just me, or are other photography enthusiasts iffy about other people taking pictures with their camera? Not in fear of them breaking it, but that they'll take a bad picture b/c the right setting might not have been used, too much flash, etc... ?