Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:10 pm 
Hello all,
I am thinking about picking up a macro lens for my Nikon D40.
My budget is up to 400$ (hopefully less)
MONEY IS AN OBJECT (my job closed...circuit city)

All suggestions for what you think might suit a D40 and under 400$ would be nice.

I am going to post a similar topic in the Nikon thread. If you have suggestions for a Nikon lens go there!
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106961

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:29 am 
I dont own one, saying just based on what ive read
there is the 50mm 2.8 for U$300, but if you wanna use tubes and go beyond 1:1 you'd need a bigger focal lenght like the 105mm, this one goes for almost U$500

other alternative is reversing a MF lens, its cheap, gives good quality and you can use the rest of the money on a external flash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:49 pm 
Hi Connorita,

You could also consider the Raynox DCR-150 and DCR-250. They will turn any of your lenses into macro lenses and are both inexpensive and easy to operate.

They will fit a wide range of lens-diameters.

I personally find the quality really good and the versatility, portability and budget conscious price-point (about 45-50$ a piece) really makes them ideal for me.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:14 pm 
I picked up a Pentax mount Sigma 105 f2.8 EX DG Macro for 325$ off ebay wed. I'm sure if you look you can find one in Nikon mount. It's a perfect range and excellent IQ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:43 pm 
LahLahSr wrote:
Hi Connorita,

You could also consider the Raynox DCR-150 and DCR-250. They will turn any of your lenses into macro lenses and are both inexpensive and easy to operate.

They will fit a wide range of lens-diameters.

I personally find the quality really good and the versatility, portability and budget conscious price-point (about 45-50$ a piece) really makes them ideal for me.

Cheers :-)

Can you explain what these are. They are adapters that you can put on any lens to make it macro?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:43 pm 
i just noticed your post on my macro thread.

i suggest picking it up.

its tack sharp.

only problem is it's significantly short reach.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:33 pm 
Connorita wrote:
Hello all,
I am thinking about picking up a macro lens for my Nikon D40.
My budget is up to 400$ (hopefully less)
MONEY IS AN OBJECT (my job closed...circuit city)

All suggestions for what you think might suit a D40 and under 400$ would be nice.

I am going to post a similar topic in the Nikon thread. If you have suggestions for a Nikon lens go there!
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106961

As you have a Nikon DSLR I would get a Micro Nikkor...The 200mm f4 IF AIS is excellent...I use it on my Sigma SD10 and SD14 DSLR's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:17 pm 

Slick3358 wrote:
Can you explain what these are. They are adapters that you can put on any lens to make it macro?

have a look at the thread How to calculate magnification with close-up lenses
Just buy the close-up filter with the right filter-thread that fits to your lens.
Oh, btw.: the Canon 500D close-up lens is one of the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:58 pm 
Thomas wrote:
Just buy the close-up filter with the right filter-thread that fits to your lens.
Oh, btw.: the Canon 500D close-up lens is one of the best

I totally agree...I use either a single 52mm 500D or two 52mm 500D's together on my Micro-Nikkor 200mm f4 IF AIS and the image quality remains virtually indistinguishable to what it is without them fitted.
With one fitted I'm getting over 1:1 to 2:1 macros and with two fitted I'm getting over 3:1 to 4:1 macros, and thats with a comparatively huge working distance of at least 6"!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:01 pm 

i just got a sigma 50mm f2.8 today. i wanted the 105 but did not have the budget for it. but on a positive note i have sold my nikon 50mm 1.8 and got some money back, and space in my kit bag! the sigma is just as sharp as the nikon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:14 pm 

The best Sigma macro is the 150/2.8.
Never seen a sharper lens, yet :shock: