Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Vote for your favourite!
Poll ended at Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:42 am
WestCoast 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
mikeroch 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
joebaynham 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
daisy 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Tomis 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
workscooper 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Slick3358 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
kimchi 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
murdockcrc 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
leonid_82 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
patti 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
keystrokesuk 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
logic_nguyen 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Snozzberry 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
VICTORzg 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
statseng 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
thestig2010 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paul SC 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
lost2212x 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
SolarSanction 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
naniani 54%  54%  [ 35 ]
Thiyagu 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Bjorn van Sinttruije 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
popo 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
chadpope 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
DP-PARIS 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
joseluissc 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
zazu 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Defiance 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 65
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:01 am 

MIDNIGHT GMT 21 DECEMBER

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Congratulations to Camera Labs' regular Naniani (Sue) for our most decisive win yet, with no less than 53% of the total votes! In second place was Thiyagu, followed by WestCoast, joebaynham and popo in joint third place. As always the winner gets to choose the theme for the next assignment, so Naniani, it's over to you - let us know in the November Comments and Questions thread...

Gordon

MIDNIGHT 30 NOVEMBER - SUBMISSIONS CLOSED!

VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE!

POLLS CLOSE MIDNIGHT GMT 21 DECEMBER.

Hi everyone! Welcome to November's Assignment!

The theme for this month is "History", as suggested by zazu who won the September 2009 competition. Be sure to read the whole post for the rules.

In zazu's own words:

Hello everyone :)

I taught about something for the theme for the November Assignment! I would like to make some History! Everyone in the world have a great History in our countries. I think it will be great to hear about different Histories! In photographic term I mean shots of monuments old churches old museums etc!!! It will also be nice to write a few lines about that place, church etc...

Good Luck To All
    Zazu

The rules!

1: You can only submit one image and it has to be taken during Novemeber 2009. Photos taken earlier will be disqualified!

2: All images submitted must be no more than 500 pixels on their longest side, although you can include a link to a full resolution version if you like. Flickr users must link back to the original version to comply with its latest rules.

As always, please exercise good judgement on what is suitable for the forum. See the Forum Rules for guides.

Please include a sentence or two with your photo describing what you were trying to achieve and if there were any particular challenges in doing so like, for example, any special exposure or lighting setup.

We're all enthusiasts here, so it's also great to see what equipment you used and the settings too. So please also include the following:

Camera Model:
Lens and focal length:
Aperture:
Shutter Speed:
Sensitivity:
Post processing:

Submissions will close at midnight GMT on 30th November 2009. The final poll will follow.

Please remember this thread is for submissions only. If you'd like to comment on any of the submissions or ask any questions, please do so in the November 2009 Comments and Questions thread!

Thanks and good luck!

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:00 am 

Vancouver BC is know as the City of Glass, but here and there you can still get a glimpse of the Iconic Grand Buildings that once dotted the City landscape.
NO PP

Full size
http://www.flickr.com/photos/westcoast_ ... 4/sizes/l/

Post subject: it's GRIM up North!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:09 am 

On the shores of Loch Assynt in the wild North West of Scotland ARDVRECK CASTLE sits on a small promontory projecting into the Loch. The times were rough, dangerous and lawless back in the 16th Century with inter-clan warfare, livestock stealing and land-grabbing common. Built in 1590 as the power-base of Clan Macleod, the castle served them well until 1672 when Clan Mackenzie (from 30 miles south near Ullapool) attacked and destroyed it, driving out the MacLeods.

Ardvreck's main claim to fame is that it's spectacular position makes it ideal for use as a filming location. The battle scene from 'Highlander' was shot there.

A more complete history can be read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardvreck_Castle
Larger image http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2577/4077669536_8ca33fc5a9_b.jpg
PANORAMA http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2684/4082967013_2d84a176be_b.jpg

Post processing in PS: The original image was very ‘busy’ with lots of texture distracting they eye from the castle itself. Working in layers, the image was duplicated and that layer given the ‘cutout’ filter treatment to render the surrounding detail as simplified blocks of colour. A hole was then erased through that modified layer to expose the unmodified image of the castle behind. Flattened, saved as JPEG, contrast enhanced, reduced to 500 pix.

Camera: Pentax K20D Pentax 55-300mm lens set to 105mm. ISO 400 1/250 @ f.5.6

Last edited by mikeroch on Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: "Man's Jungle"
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:35 pm 

Camera: Nikon D90
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture: f/4.2
Focal Length: 32 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: No Flash

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:01 am 

I WANT A TIME MACHINE!
The Orkney Islands lie just off the North East tip of mainland Scotland and are crammed with stone-age sites. On a narrow isthmus dividing several lochs stands the RING OF BRODGAR, a Neolithic henge monument 104m diameter originally having 60 huge megaliths (27 still standing). Built over 4000 years ago, the society that created it must have been more sophisticated and organised than perhaps we imagine or give them credit for. I wish I could fly back in time to witness what happened there.

Canon EOS 350D 18-55mm kit lens ISO200 1/125 f.8 PP: Crop, desaturate, 'fresco' filter, sepia tint, resize.

Last edited by daisy on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Dutch Cottage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:28 pm 

Hi all,
The Canvey Dutch Cottage museum dating back to 1618. When draining Canvey Island during the 17th century to make it habitable, Dutch workers built octagonal cottages to live in. The building has been restored to its original glory.
1/100sec, f5, 14mm, iso100
John :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:28 am 

I am history

This was a self portrait. I couldn't think of anyway to take a picture of an old building and make it something special. So I was thinking of different interpretations of history and this idea popped into my head and, I though hey why not!

Camera Model: Canon 40D
Camera Mode: Manual
Lens and focal length: Canon 50mm f/1.8
Aperture: f/1.8
Shutter Speed: 1/50th
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Post processing: two exposures merged into one - adobe photoshop cs4
Flash: Alien Bees B800 full power, camera left
White Balance: Tungsten Light

Edit- Fixed a broken photo link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:22 pm 

Went to the O2 arena in Greenwich, London, last night and had a look round the National Maritime Museum this morning. Lots of history there including the jacket Admiral Lord Nelson was wearing when he was fatally wounded at the Battle of Trafalgar.

This is a shot of the Old Naval College, now the University of Greenwich. It lies just metres away from the Prime Meridian of the World – Longitude 0º. Every place on Earth is measured in terms of its distance east or west from the Greenwich Meridan. The line itself divides the eastern and western hemispheres of the Earth, just as the Equator divides the northern and southern hemispheres.

So... historical buildings taken in a historical setting with the comparatively new Canary Wharf buildings in the background. Greenwich also holds some sentimental value as my grandparents and their family can be traced back here to around 1850.

LARGER HERE -> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/O6h4xH3m0FOOEajW1LGoPw?feat=directlink

Camera Model: Canon EOS 1000d
Lens and focal length: 18-55mm Canon Kit lens
Aperture: f13
Shutter Speed: 1/100
Sensitivity: ISO 100
Post processing: Very slight saturation increase using Picasa3

Good luck to everyone else

Clive :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:11 pm 

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2547/4109176237_3a1a63d97b_o.jpg

I was on a boat tour of the Detroit river when I spotted this old building. I had a really hard time steadying the camera as the boat was rocking quite a bit so I steadied my camera on my elbow by grabbing my shoulder. I'm sure most of you know this technique. I loved this old buildings peak at the top. They don't build them like this anymore.

Camera : Pentax K200D
Lens used: Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6
Mode: Aperture priority set at F/11
Shutter speed : 1/10 second
Sensitivity : ISO 100
Post Processing: Added sepia tone & adjusted Horizon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:56 am 

historic harvest

Daehwan Gwon is 82 years old and was born on this plot of land on the slopes of Jiri Mountain in South Korea. His great great grandfather built the rice terraces you can see next to his house, and his father built the house you see now after the original was burned down by the Japanese during their occupation. He rebuilt his father's house himself after it was occupied by North Korean troops during the war in which his wife was killed before they had any children.

These are the remains of the last harvest of rice and chili peppers grown here by his family for many generations after the land was bought by the mining company you can see across the river, centre-left.

Olympus E520
14-42 kit @ 14mm f/8, 1/500s
ISO 100
PP: slight crop, slightly increased saturation, lightened shadows

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:50 pm 
Bern Altstadt

The city of Bern is the de facto capital of Switzerland. This picture was taken from the Bärenpark, looking under the Bärengraben bridge into the Aare river and part of the structures that form the Old City of Bern. Taken into the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1983, the organization justified its decision on the following reasons:

"Bern represents a positive example, of how a city can conserve its middle-age structures and at the same time, satisfy the ever-growing needs of a city of a modern state." The Old City of Bern, founded in the 12th century, is a must-see of Bern, and a place full of architecture and history.

Camera Model: Canon 500D
Lens and focal length: Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM @ 78mm
Aperture: f/4.0
Shutter Speed: 1/100
Sensitivity: 500
Post processing: Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.0 for Mac. Since the sky was totally cloudy, light conditions were low and it was hazy. Used a Hoya circular polarizing filter to cut through the haze, and PSE to enhance just a little bit the vibrance and saturation.

Click here for the full properties of the picture

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:54 pm 

A small History lesson:-
Friedrich Hölderlin wrote poems about it, and so did Gottfried Keller. Countless painters have also immortalized it in their works: the Old Bridge, whose real name is the Carl Theodor Bridge after the man who had it built. The bridge’s nine red sandstone arches span the Neckar River and blend harmoniously into their surroundings, framed by the river and mountains.

The Old Bridge is actually relatively young, and was preceded by many older bridges made of wood. The first bridge was recorded at this site in 1284. But like all of the wooden bridges that followed, it eventually fell prey to high water and ice. This finally prompted Prince Elector Carl Theodor – after a major flood with ice had destroyed the last wooden bridge in 1784 – to construct the first stone bridge in 1786-88. Raised bents in its middle allowed water to drain off quickly when the river flooded.

On March 29, 1945, one of the very last days of the War, German soldiers used explosives to render all of Heidelberg’s Neckar bridges impassable, including the Old Bridge. But thanks to a drive to collect donations that was enthusiastically supported by the town’s residents, work to rebuild it began as soon as March 14, 1946. It was inaugurated on July 26, 1947. In 2001 the Old Bridge was added to the World Monuments Fund, a list of the world’s most endangered monuments.

Well this is all copy and paste :wink:

Camera Model: Nikon D5000
Lens and focal length: Tamron 10-24 @ 10mm
Aperture: f/3.5
Shutter Speed: 1/8 (Hand-held)
ISO Sensitivity: 1600
Post processing: Tweaked some exposure in Nikon Capture NX, increased little saturation. Cropped from top and bottom to give more wide angle impact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:28 am 

f/ 3.2
ISO 320
shutter: 1/40
lens: canon 24-70L 2.8

This one is for Roy, with an apology. I am so sorry that the Queen is stuffed into the harbor, in Long Beach, with a rude, noxious submarine, shoving up against her, right in the front, crowding her-trying to steal the limelight.
I was not thrilled..feel she deserves a place, all her own..Here she is, Roy. And here is a menu front, from days gone by..just a little history.

This menu image is not in the running for the contest..just thought it was cool, too see how folks used to dine, and cruise..and wanted to include it.
Made the trip, because Roy says he wants the boat back. I had to make sure she was still there.
She is.

love,
patti

Last edited by patti on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:41 pm 

Full size image is here http://www.keystrokesukimages.com/photo ... W-X3-1.jpg

D90 with kit 18-105 lens
f/7.1, shutter 1/40s, lens at 105mm, ISO 400

One of the benches in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh. All of the seats have plaques on them either dedicating the bench to a person or group and adding history to an already historical location.

More information on Princes Street Gardens here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princes_Street_Gardens

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Last edited by keystrokesuk on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:40 am 
Click to view at Flickr with the rest of infos and stories behind it.

History of Music, something we all listen to day to day.

Camera Model: Nikon D200
Lens and focal length: Sigma 28-105 @ 28mm
Aperture: f/5.0
Shutter Speed: 1/320
Sensitivity: ISO 560
Post processing: I only added the mic in. nothing else done to the picture.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next