Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:08 pm 
I am considering the Olympus e-450 with the 25mm pancake lens. I like to take two types of photography , street and people shots during daylight and at night I take long exposure shots using tripod and the timer. I real like the size and portability of this, plus the fact that it is less intrusive as a camera combo when trying to take shots of the public in let us say a busy Borough Market.

My point is, considering the lack of IS on the e-450 for my photography style and the lens I am considering will it be an issue? Gordon seemed to imply that using the pancake lens with a fast shutter speed, means that lack of IS is not such a big deal.

Also I read that one of the new features of the Olympus e-450 is a digital stabilization mode, although this is never as good as optical stabilization, does anyone have any feedback on this or thoughts they can share.

Lastly if I do opt for this option (e-450 and 25mm pancake lens) and in the future I would like to purchase a different lens, are there any lenses that come with IS like on Canon available for the Olympus e-450 range?

Cheers - Mike !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:20 pm 

Hello Mike, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
I currently count 7 stabilized lenses, all from Panasonic/Lumix/Leica. Looky here.
Faster shutter speeds mean larger apertures (=smaller dof) and/or higher ISO (=more grain). And any "digital stabilization" works that way: higher ISO at larger aperture to get shorter exposures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:53 pm 
Thanks Thomas for the warm welcome, and I will certainly review the rules page.

Thanks for pointing out the lenses, looks like a nice selection of lenses available albeit not cheap.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:00 am 

The e420 is the same as the e450 but with a little less garnish, and a lot cheaper. Also, the e520 isn't much bigger, has IS, and are being practically given away at the moment.

Aside from extra portability, I don't really see the benefit of the pancake. I don't see how it's less obtrusive since you'd still have to get pretty close to someone in the street to get a decent shot at 50mm EFL. I don't think it offers much over the cheap kit lens in terms of quality either. OK, it's a little faster. Bit of a fetish lens if you ask me - but I'd still probably want one.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:46 am 
Thanks Kimchi for your comments. I am now tending to lean towards the e-620 but still have a few weeks before I make my decision. Having compared all three side by side, e-420, e-520 and e-620, the e-620 is nearer in size to the e-450 and the price difference at the moment is only about £80. There are some very good deals at the moment with the kit lens. Might do that and then buy the very appealing pancake lens a bit later on. My main reason for this is that I like to take a camera to work with me and fit it in my bag and take pictures in my luch break, so being compact is powerful.

The truth is I really like the compactness of the e-450 with the pancake lens, my real concern is that even with my experience of a Canon EOS450D with an IS lens my hands are not that steady and really wanted to see if the e-450 with the pancake and digital image stabilization would create decent pictures.

Cheers Mike