Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: how to i post picture???
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:10 am 
i m a new user...plz let me know how do i post picture??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:37 am 
@ Matthew

A warm welcome to the forum!

You will find out how to post pictures here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3315

Post subject: hey
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:35 am 
thanks Q so much!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:15 pm 
:?: Hi Gordon,

I viewed several of the videos you've posted about taking pictures on different settings, but one question bugs me. How do I take pictures indoors where sometimes light is available and sometimes it is not, such as at a wedding or gala. i viewed your video about the church lighting, but my question I would think is opposite. I recently bought about 3 months ago a Canon SX10 IS camera and I love the way it takes pictures outside with no movement, in automatic mode but have not been able to harness how to take good pictures indoors with little lighting and people moving such as a wedding. i almost gave up on the camera thinking I would never be able to take a decent picture. Would I use similar settings to the video you feature of outdoor christmas lights at night? Any informtion would be appreciated. I am a novice but am willing to try what you advice.

Florinda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Florinda, the night photography tutorial will only work for subjects that are still, becuase the long exposures will cause blurring in anything that moves.

If you want to take pictures in low light AND not have blurring, you simply need to use higher ISO settings, and accept that the quality, especially with a non-DSLR will quickly deteriorate. Or increase the light in the room by either turning on lights or using the flash - neither of which may be practical options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:42 am 
Gordon.... love the site and your tutorials, ive learned alot about my camera watching them...the tutorial on night photography has helped alot. but, i am having problems with focus...i am trying to get pics of the northern lights, the moon and stars... i have taken auto focus off and use manual focus... but its always out of focus... using a Sony A330 with both the 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 and the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:04 am 

Welcome!

If the A330 has liveview, I highly recommend that to focus, it's a great assistance! If not, keep altering your focus until you have a clear image. The end of the focus ring is often not the perfect point of focus for infinity (like the moon/stars).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:30 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Yes, a smaller aperture will mean a smaller DOF, but since most city skylines are distant, this won't be an issue.

But if you need a bigger DOF, then by all means, close the aperture down to a bigger f-number and increase the exposure until you get the result you want.

If you close down a lot though, you may need more than 30 seconds, which would necessitate a cable release as most DSLRs only offer programmable shutters up to 30 secs.

Thanks for the great post Gordon. very informative. One hint that may help is that if you don't have a cable release, you can set your camera to a small delay before it takes the shot. At least this way, you can move your hand off the camera before the shutter opens. Not sure if this is useful or somebody has already mentioned it but I thought it was worth mentioning. Keep up the great job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:23 am 
Hi All,

I have been experimenting with night photography for a while. I do it mostly by trial and error without any courses. However I have found out some of my pictures have some light flaring (lens flare and multiple lens flare from numerous lamposts) The flaring caused the pictures to look abit flat? Any tips to improve what I have taken? Maybe filters? Post processing? I know lens flare couldnt be helped

EXIF 0.6s F4.0 Iso 200 @ 18mm.

Thanks

Post subject: Standard kit lens
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:10 am 
If I am using a standard kit lens do I zoom all the way out or do I zoom all the way in or it depends on the situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:27 am 
?? You have two Nikon bodies and you are asking this question??!

It depends on what your trying to compose...Then set your zoom range, moving your perspective from different angles helps too....in composition....Or if you meaning sharpness or distortion of lenses at different focal length you'd have to check Gordon's review on the lenses or other sources...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hi tfkdjk, if you can't see stars to focus-on through the viewfinder or on the screen, try focusing on a distant streetlamp, or a light in a building if there's one in the distance. If it's far enough away, it'll effectively be at infinity as far as a normal lens will be concerned, and share the same focus as a star.

But yes, focusing on stars is one of the trickiest things to achieve in astrophotography and requires a lot of patience and practice - not to mention getting to know your equipment very well. You'll get it in time, but it could take a while...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:30 am 
Don't some of the newer dslrs (1000d, etc) automatically hold the mirror up through an entire exposure in bulb setting, making mlu un-needed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:44 pm 

Since this is my first Christmas and New Year with a DSLR I'm really eager to get some good fireworks pics.
After what I've read in this thread, taking pics of fireworks is about small aperture and long exposure, right?
So I guess I don't need a quick lens for this. But what other stuff do I need to worry about? Which lens should I use? Is my Canon 18-200mm suited?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:48 pm 

901skennon wrote:
Don't some of the newer dslrs (1000d, etc) automatically hold the mirror up through an entire exposure in bulb setting, making mlu un-needed?

Mirror lockup is about minimizing vibrations before firing the shutter, but that doesn't mean anything once you get past 1 or 2 seconds of exposure time.

Also, mirror lockup is still needed for cleaning, you don't want to do that in bulb mode ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next