Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:10 pm 

Hi folks,

As we all know, the lack of body language in forum communications means it's easy to get all aerated (I think that's the word my dear departed Grannie would have used) when there's no need. This thread is in the User Review section so if we can't talk about the camera then maybe it should be locked. :evil:

In the meantime, back on-topic please. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:19 pm 
podgeorge wrote:
This afternoon, i was lucky enough to get to play with a Nikon D700 for 20 Mins or so. So i just thought i'd give you a run down in comparison to my 40D.

Ergonomics
As soon as i picked the D700 up, i instantly noticed how much heavier it was than my 40D, also how out of balance it was with it's 18-35mm lens on. I persaonlly thought the Grip was really awkward and horrible, and really hated the indent, i just couldn't seem to get the right grip, which was comfortable.
I instantly love the top LCD, as in comparison it is much bigger and nicer to look at, than on my 40D. Then i looked through the viewfinder :shock: , it's enourmous, also really nice to look through, although because it was so big, the shooting info almost got lost in the bigness of the viewfinder. The screen is just brilliant, and it's so easy to see if something is sharp or not. There were also so really cool gadgets on the camera like the 'Virtual Horizon', and the AF in LV was pretty cool.
In my opinion there were FAR TO MANY AF POINTS, i got confused by looking through the viewfinder, as it was obstructed by all the these things, and my eye was drawn to the AF points not to the subject.
I found the speed, slow in comparison to my 40D, when changing settings, although i am sure i would get quicker with practice.

So i am still a firm believer that the 40D/50D has the best ergonomics, of any DSLR around, and yet to be proved otherwise.

BTW, unfortunately i didn't have time to grab any test shots, or anything else.

Interesting findings. From my experience with Canon cameras, the ergonomics, handling and control layout was the first and main reason I had to dismiss the idea of purchasing a Canon. I just found, and still do find, Nikon cameras light years ahead of the Canon as far as handling goes.

I started off with a D70 and have eventually upgraded over the years to a D700. The layout is essentially the same and nothing has really changed, other than a few extra buttons. I found the D70 just "felt" right when I picked it up. It was solid and just felt well made in comparison with the plasticy feeling 350D (at the time). I've since picked up and used 40Ds, 450Ds and 400Ds. My opinion hasn't changed. They still feel cheap to me and not at all well constructed.

Horses for courses, of course, and each to their own.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:02 pm 
Welly wrote:
podgeorge wrote:
This afternoon, i was lucky enough to get to play with a Nikon D700 for 20 Mins or so. So i just thought i'd give you a run down in comparison to my 40D.

Ergonomics
As soon as i picked the D700 up, i instantly noticed how much heavier it was than my 40D, also how out of balance it was with it's 18-35mm lens on. I persaonlly thought the Grip was really awkward and horrible, and really hated the indent, i just couldn't seem to get the right grip, which was comfortable.
I instantly love the top LCD, as in comparison it is much bigger and nicer to look at, than on my 40D. Then i looked through the viewfinder :shock: , it's enourmous, also really nice to look through, although because it was so big, the shooting info almost got lost in the bigness of the viewfinder. The screen is just brilliant, and it's so easy to see if something is sharp or not. There were also so really cool gadgets on the camera like the 'Virtual Horizon', and the AF in LV was pretty cool.
In my opinion there were FAR TO MANY AF POINTS, i got confused by looking through the viewfinder, as it was obstructed by all the these things, and my eye was drawn to the AF points not to the subject.
I found the speed, slow in comparison to my 40D, when changing settings, although i am sure i would get quicker with practice.

So i am still a firm believer that the 40D/50D has the best ergonomics, of any DSLR around, and yet to be proved otherwise.

BTW, unfortunately i didn't have time to grab any test shots, or anything else.

Interesting findings. From my experience with Canon cameras, the ergonomics, handling and control layout was the first and main reason I had to dismiss the idea of purchasing a Canon. I just found, and still do find, Nikon cameras light years ahead of the Canon as far as handling goes.

I started off with a D70 and have eventually upgraded over the years to a D700. The layout is essentially the same and nothing has really changed, other than a few extra buttons. I found the D70 just "felt" right when I picked it up. It was solid and just felt well made in comparison with the plasticy feeling 350D (at the time). I've since picked up and used 40Ds, 450Ds and 400Ds. My opinion hasn't changed. They still feel cheap to me and not at all well constructed.

Horses for courses, of course, and each to their own.

aaaand...here come the canon boys to say 'but no they do not feel the way you say, they feel great to meeeee me me me me meeee' etc. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:14 pm 
I think i need to spend more time to use the D700, and i think i will probably get to like it more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:28 pm 
podgeorge wrote:
I think i need to spend more time to use the D700, and i think i will probably get to like it more.

No offence George, but if you don't plan on buying one, then why would you want to use it more to get to like it more? LOL. Use it where? Have a friend who has one? Or do you mean popping into the camera shop xD I use my boss's 5D every time I assist for him at the wedding afterparty, and I still hate the AF system. I don't HATE the grip, but I do prefer the D700's grip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:57 pm 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
podgeorge wrote:

if you don't plan on buying one, then why would you want to use it more to get to like it more? LOL. Use it where? Have a friend who has one?

Well, it might be worth a look, as it's a possible FF option for me, secondly i have got a friend who has got one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:36 pm 
podgeorge wrote:
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
podgeorge wrote:

if you don't plan on buying one, then why would you want to use it more to get to like it more? LOL. Use it where? Have a friend who has one?

Well, it might be worth a look, as it's a possible FF option for me, secondly i have got a friend who has got one!

Ah fair enough. I thought you just bought a Sigma 70-200 for canon mount? My boss told me I should get a Canon so we could use the same system, and I said no. I only had the 18-70 DX, 70-300VR and 35mm F2D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:40 am 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
podgeorge wrote:
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
podgeorge wrote:

Ah fair enough. I thought you just bought a Sigma 70-200 for canon mount? My boss told me I should get a Canon so we could use the same system, and I said no. I only had the 18-70 DX, 70-300VR and 35mm F2D.

I have, but i still want to keep it as an option, as the D700's spec seems to be geared to my shooting style than the 5D2!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:24 pm 
I don't find any conclution in this topic , and it take 4 pages :-( , what a junk , a nikon slave like gregory always be offense to canon , and from my opinion related to this topic , there is no impress at all about nikon d700 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:50 pm 
liauwsiauwlong wrote:
I don't find any conclution in this topic , and it take 4 pages :-( , what a junk , a nikon slave like gregory always be offense to canon , and from my opinion related to this topic , there is no impress at all about nikon d700 .

Nice going there, I think it's generally regarded as bad manners to slag off a well established member of these forums, especially if you've just signed up. Gregory regularly makes fun of Canon and we Canon people regularly make fun of Nikon. Keep it civil, ok?

And welcome to the forums ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:44 am 
Just thought I'd post this link of some sound files I made comparing the AF of the D80 and D700 using the 180 f2.8 AF-D IF ED.

Here's the link to a zipped folder with the sound of the AF on the D80 and D700. The AF on the D700 sounds mechanical, the D80 sounds a lot more like a screw drive motor than the D80 does. To make the sound even more obvious I've done it with the lens cap on, so that the focus can rack from infinity and back. So no, you want have anywhere near that much focus noise for regular shooting.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/S1VDSkhjNnlZY1JMWEE9PQ