Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:30 am 
Hi there!

I'm looking for a flash unit... but I don't know which brands are reliable. The only brand I've looked into more in depth is Alienbees. They seem good, but I also read some bad things about them. This will be my first flash unit.

Some info on what type of photography I do: Portraits and fashion. So I need something that works well in an indoor studio setting.

Of course, the more inexpensive the better, but I also like the idea of buying better equipment so they are useful to me in the long run.

Thanks for listening =)

*Perhaps I should have posted this in portrait photography forum! Couldn't find a lighting forum. Hehe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:00 pm 
dslrisfun wrote:
*Perhaps I should have posted this in portrait photography forum! Couldn't find a lighting forum. Hehe

Well you can now :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:38 am 

If you're only planning to use the flash units off-camera, which i can recommend, I can recommend you to get one or two cheap manual flashes (I've bought the Cactus manual flashes but am waiting for them to be delivered) They're cheap and only miss an auto function. What you want for off-camera flash is a flash that can be dialed down (i.e. 1/2 1/4 1/16)
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:08 pm 

Falcon eyes has some very cheap sets that supposedly are pretty good. You'll probably need a trigger though, many forum members recommend the (equally cheap) Cactus V4 triggers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:25 am 
Thank you guys! Will look into your recommendations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:54 pm 
I your looking to get some good quality studio flash units you have to take a look at Bowens and Calumet lighting equipment, they ahve really good quality kits on offer and loads of accesories. Also check out http://www.youtube.com/user/prophotolife and http://www.youtube.com/user/snapfactory for some advice on equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:48 am 
I can recommend Elemental Studio equipment but they are UK based.

But it's all down to budget and what you want to do. I'm in the process of researching kit and I'm pretty well settled on Elemental, hence the above, now it's just a case of getting the finances together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:43 am 
I own two alienbees and I love em! What have you heard bad about them? I have the vagabond II battery system with them as well and it really opens the doors to the whole world. I would recommend a wireless trigger/receiver system. I didn't think it was necessary when I first bought them but now I feel very limited by my PC sync cord :( My favorite things about the alien bees are 1) price and 2) the large amount of accessories available. I high recommend them.