Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:08 am 
The web galleries I make using Lightroom 1.2 display on some machines - but not on mine! It's sending me crazy.

Under Windows XP and with IE7 or Firefox I get a blank screen. The galleries must be OK because they work perfectly well when I open them on the web from elsewhere. I have scripting enabled and Flash 9 installed. Turning off my Internet Security program (Kaspersky 7) makes no difference. Anybody have an idea what I might tweak to solve this problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:00 pm 
Try LR V1.3. See if that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:50 pm 
G wrote:
Try LR V1.3. See if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I had already tried 1.3 with the same result as before :(

In the meantime I have also tested Opera and checked on more IE browsers of friends and relatives. They all work. I think the problem on my machine has something to do with the Active X settings - but I don't know what. THey are all set to dangerously permissive levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:37 pm 
There are so many variables and imponderables that not all software will work on all systems.

LR is now at V1.3.1

Has KAV quarantined any important file or blocked an important files use.

Instead of just turning KAV off, disable its service. You may have to do this in Safe Mode as this is a security feature against malware attacks turning it off in normal mode.

All systems slowly break in time so I wouldn’t be surprised if it worked from a clean install.

Take an image of your system using Acronis True Image or Ghost.

Now install Windows clean and then install LR and see if it works. If it does then it is a system problem.

Now restore your image (verify it on its creation and verify it on it restoration) and then you will know that it is problem with your current setup.

Also backup any critical data as images do corrupt even if they are verified as sound.

Post subject: Radical cure !
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:18 pm 
Thanks again for taking your time to help. I'm very grateful.

Your recommendations are fairly 'root and branch' but I guess that's the way to go now. I regularly backup with Acronis so that is all in place. It will take some time but I'll let you know the outcome when I'm done.

Regards
Nick

G wrote:
There are so many variables and imponderables that not all software will work on all systems.

LR is now at V1.3.1

Has KAV quarantined any important file or blocked an important files use.

Instead of just turning KAV off, disable its service. You may have to do this in Safe Mode as this is a security feature against malware attacks turning it off in normal mode.

All systems slowly break in time so I wouldn’t be surprised if it worked from a clean install.

Take an image of your system using Acronis True Image or Ghost.

Now install Windows clean and then install LR and see if it works. If it does then it is a system problem.

Now restore your image (verify it on its creation and verify it on it restoration) and then you will know that it is problem with your current setup.

Also backup any critical data as images do corrupt even if they are verified as sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:58 am 
I think that's the only way to be sure now.

The system is probably breaking down like mine is.

I need to rebuild myself, just don't have the time yet.

I will do, ready for post production of images from the Canon 40D though after Christmas.

Post subject: Web Galleries now work.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:23 am 
A clean install of Windows XP did the trick. LR web galleries now display with my IE7 browser. I made an image of the hard disc using Acronis True Image and then reinstalled Windows XP using the 'repair' option. This saved almost all my settings and debugged whatever it was that was blocking the LR flash application from starting.

Many thanks G for your suggestion - I would never have thought of completely overhauling the operating system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:12 am 
Great :)

Any time you need any Windows etc help PM me your posts everyone.

I'm an IT engineer and software tester etc, so this is my field.

Camera, I'm a newbie learning fast :)