Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sigma with Nikon D5000
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:49 am 
How do I read the Sigma lens descriptions to know if they will work with my Nikon D5000?

I'm looking at possibliy getting a 70-200 F/2.8, but would like auto-focus. I'm also entertaining the possibility of getting it used through eBay, so I want to know what I need to ask or look for to make sure I'm getting what has been recommended to me!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:58 pm 
you would need to get a D-80 or D-90 to use auto focus on most 3rd party lenses the D5000 does not has a mechanical motor built in, as for ebay you should still be able to find a new D-80 kicking around i purchased one fom Cameta camera back in june .

http://www.cameta.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:23 pm 
Look for Sigma lenses with the designation 'HSM' (Hypersonic Motor) in the name.

HSM for Sigma is equivalent to Nikon's SWM (the S in AF-S).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:55 pm 

Indeed, the 70-200 EX DG HSM should focus just fine on a D5000 since the motor is built into the lens. I have it but I use a D90 so I can't comment on autofocus on the D5000. Be sure to check out my review on the lens though, it's in the user reviews section :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:19 pm 
Citruspers wrote:
Indeed, the 70-200 EX DG HSM should focus just fine on a D5000 since the motor is built into the lens. I have it but I use a D90 so I can't comment on autofocus on the D5000. Be sure to check out my review on the lens though, it's in the user reviews section :)

I did read your review which is why I'm looking to get the lens! However, I'm also trying to save money which is why I'm going through eBay, but that is where I'm getting confused with all the different type of Sigma lens! Obviously eBay has both the current model and lots of older models, so I'm just trying to make sure I bid on the right one!

Thanks for the responses!