Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:50 am 
Hi all,

I've got two extra HDs that I've got lying around simply because I cannot find the right enclosure for them. I've got 2 other HDs, in 2 separate WD MyBook Studios that I would be able to extract from their current enclosure and put in this new enclosure if I can find one.

The problem is that my macbook does not have e-sata and this is what most multi-bay enclosures seem to use. I have chosen not to use e-sata via express card for various reasons. USB 2.0 is not fast enough so I want FW800. I've looked around and most seem to be very expensive as they all have RAID or NAS built in which I don't need hence my request for a JBOD box. RAID would be nice to have if I can get it but not important. NAS is of no use to me whatsoever.

Right now, it seems that all the models I've looked at cost more than buying a new MyBook studio with a bigger drive than what I have already in it. I could pretty much buy 4 MyBooks for the price of one empty enclosure. If anybody has any suggestions for less money, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:34 pm 
This Addonics mini storage tower has quite a few options (although no FW800 I believe) and is quite reasonably priced.

Would that be a suitable option?

P.S.
I don't know about the price of this one But it does support firewire.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:42 pm 
http://www.datoptic.com/cgi-bin/web.cgi ... detail=yes

Found it after some quick googling. Can't vouch for the company, but at $200 US I don't know if you'll find a better deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:53 am 
Thanks Cam-I-Am and Stig for the suggestions.

Cam-I-Am, the first one is not suitable because of the lack of FW800 but the second one seems alright. Stig, that one looks good too and the price is reasonable. Now I just have to see if I can find these models locally, thanks again to the both of you!