Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon 17-85mm is lens.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:06 am 
Hi gordon,

I have a 17-85mm lens for my 350d and have found it a good replacement for the kit lens however,
it has managed to get a tiny hair on the inside of the front lens and the barrel keeps opening up to the 85mm end every time it is slightly tilted towards the ground which can be frustrating.
The lens is only about 2 months old and I haven't used it that much, do you know of anyone else having these problems or might I just have a bad lens??? :roll:

Great site as always, keep up the good work. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Colalowe, all zoom lens barrels loosen over time (and there's also variations between samples), but I don't recall the 17-85mm samples I've tested being particularly loose. That said, the photos I take of the lens barrels fully extended in the design pages can occassionally be tricky as the barrels sometimes fall back slightly through gravity! This can be a problem with all but the stiffest lens mechanics.

The big question is of course whether yours is worse than average in this respect. For reassurance you might want to try one in a store and see how it compares to yours. Also if anyone else has a Canon 17-85mm, please let us know how yours performs in this respect.

As for the hair, that's certainly annoying. Luckily as your lens is less than 12 months old, it's still under complete warranty, so if you decide the hair or loose barrel aren't right, then you should be able to have Canon take a look at it.

Let us know how you get on,

Gordon

Post subject: Canon 17-85mm Lens
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:16 am 
I have this Lens and it does not creep up or down with gravity though to be fair the lens at this moment is only 2 weeks old so will come back to this topic in around a years time to report on it then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

I've actually just retested another EF-S 17-85mm that's been in regular use for 6 months and it didn't suffer from creep. You could feel that it was close to creeping, but never actually shifted without a bit of prodding.

To see an example of a lens which does suffer from quite obvious creeping, check out our Nikkor 18-200mm video tour here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... age7.shtml

We'll be updating our EF-S 17-85mm review with a video tour and further results in the near future...

Gordon

Post subject: 17-85mmIS
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:09 pm 
Hi again Gordon

My 17-85 was quite bad in the creeping department, in addition to the issues with it not sealing properly. Optically I felt it was a bit soft, but perhaps the 300D contributed? Not sure.

With the 400D I have switched to the Sigma 17-70 DC and apart from a bit of vignetting wide open at 17mm, I am really enjoying this lens. Quite light, very sharp and the hood is not too obtrusive (and included for the price of the lens).

Makes a great pair with my old 70-200L f4 (not the IS version).

Cheers

Bernard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Bernard, what's the focusing like on your Sigma? Is it as quick and quiet as the Canon 17-85mm's USM system?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:18 am 
Have just watched your video tour of this lens, as usual a very good tour of the product. I have as you know this lens attached to my 400D and I think it is as you say a very good lens to replace the kit lens (not an upgrade) which is now somewhere in the bottom of my bag and will probably stay there.
I also agree with you 100% about Canon being tight with not supplying a hood with this lens it means we the customer having to fork out another £20 + postage if bought mail order :evil: so if any persons from Canon read the posts on this forum do as Gordon says SORT IT OUT

Post subject: 17-85 IS USM lens
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:53 am 
Hi Gordon

Been away for a couple of days so soory for the delay in replying.

The Sigma does make a noise, sort of like a low whirring type noise, but if you hold it about 18 inches away fro you it is inaudible. When holding tot he face in use it is almost as though you feel it moving, as opposed to hearing it. I don't find it obtrusive at all and actually like the way the whirring stops as focus locks, rather than the clunk you get with some other lenses.

The Canon is quieter for sure, but I don't mind the noise of the Sigma.

On speed, I would say they are on a par. I am sure some tech specs will show a difference, but in use I find none.

One other point, perhaps a factor of the 400D over the 300D which I had with the 17-85, but I love the Sigma in low light. With the 400D it is nicely balanced combination.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Bernard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:21 pm 
Hi all,

Ive been away at sea for a while, good to see the comments and queries,

just a quick update on my lens, the tiny hair is still there but I just clone it out when needed in photoshop, I have also compared my lens to a friends and have noted that they both creep up to 50mm then stop, so it must be the way the lens is made.

Like Defiant I use is as a replacement for the kit lens and its hardly off the camera and overall I am pleased with how it performs.

As for the hair if I get time I might take it in and see what canon will do about it, if not I think I could live with it and photoshop.

Keep up the good work, love the site.

Cheers colin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi Colin, on another note, did you end up buying that 580 ex speedlite you mentioned on the forum a while back? I'd be interested to hear what you think... If you got it, please start a new thread and tell us all about it!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:19 am 
Hi Gordon,

I have bought the 580ex, it should have arrived yesterday but I was out.
:(
I am away next week but should have my hands on it next Monday, once i have the unit it will be a pleasure to let you know how I am getting on. :)

watch this space! :)