Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:24 pm 
Just bought this lens the day before, so it was my first time shooting with it. Forgive me if my pics are not pro qualit, I'm not a pro.

Pictures taken with a Nikon D5000. Linked pictures are 15% of original. Click on the picture to see it at 30% of original.

35mm (52mm eqv), 1/100, f/4, ISO 800
metering - matrix, WB Auto, F/L JPEG, available lighting
as shot, no post-processing

35mm (52mm eqv), 1/80, f/3.5, ISO 2000
metering - center, WB Incandescent, F/L JPEG, available lighting
Not the most flattering picture, but really shows how much detail this lens captures, and with little noise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:24 pm 
35mm (52mm eqv), 1/60, f/8, ISO 100 (I believe, not in exif data)
metering - center weighted, WB Auto, F/L JPEG, bounce flash from below

100% Crop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:46 pm 
alanbreck wrote:
35mm (52mm eqv), 1/60, f/8, ISO 100 (I believe, not in exif data)
metering - center weighted, WB Auto, F/L JPEG, bounce flash from below

100% Crop

Any chance of some f1.8 samples?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:31 pm 
DSG wrote:
Any chance of some f1.8 samples?

I don't have any good f/1.8 examples, but here is an f/2.0, so pretty close

35mm (52mm eqv), 1/60, f/2, ISO 500, metering - center weighted, WB Tungsten, F/L JPEG, no flash, as shot no post-processing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:00 pm 

alanbreck wrote:
I don't have any good f/1.8 examples, but here is an f/2.0, so pretty close

Didn't try, or do you let the camera pick the aperture for you? ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:09 pm 
WoutK89 wrote:
Didn't try, or do you let the camera pick the aperture for you? ;-)

Didn't try, I shoot aperture priority 90% of the time. I'm being lazy so I don't feel like setting up a shot to demonstrate f/1.8 right now. I am actually selling this lens and have not used it for quite a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:10 pm 

Theres an example I took at 1.8. I think its unedited, not sure. But I know that basically direct from the camera. Notice how the bokeh gets elongated towards the end, which doesn't always happen but did in the picture. I love what this lens does to eyes! Its really a great portrait lens in proper lighting. Very sharp.

Post subject: Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm 1.8G
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:22 pm 
Hi guys, I just bought my Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm 1.8G yesterday. These are my first few shots with the lens. Im using Nikkon D90. Some post process are done with the photos. Pls feel free to comment. Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:29 am 

Jansen Goh wrote:
Some post process are done with the photos. Pls feel free to comment.

First. what settings did you use in your camera, second what kind of post processing did you do, besides tilting the picture?

Since the lens gallery is for show casing a lens, and not post processing skills, maybe you could as well show the unedited pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:44 am 
Dear WoutK89:

The 35mm lens is actually a lens that is classified in the middle focal range. Meaning that its not a wide angle lens (such as the 10mm-24mm) nor a prime lens (50mm or 85mm).

To me, its not very feasible to use a 35mm to take landscape shot nor a single object headshot. So, its best to use it for candid shots and advertorial shots for food and beverages.

Such photo shots requires post process to bring out its best. Im not sure i did good but it indeed looks descent to me.

This is a column to showcase lens and their images, meaning that its actuall for those who have not bought the lens and also for those who bought the lens and want to know wat the lens can do other than boring headshots.

So, my job here is to show people wat this lens can do and promote the lens. Do u think people will buy the lens if its just some normal shots without any post process? Am i right to say that my photos have encouraged some individuals to purchase the lens? If the answer is yes, then my photos should stay right here in this very thread or topic.

So, dear Woutk89 (i assume u are a young man and born in 1989), next time pls savour your thoughts in your brain and digest them before u posted your thoughts. Newbies needs encouragements, not unreasonable discouragements. Pls don take it personally, as im representing all newbies in this reply post. Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:58 pm 

I am sorry, but this thread is actually NOT for showing post processing skills, but for showing what just camera and lens can bring out!!! You also tell me it's not a prime lens, wrong again, it actually is a prime lens..., prime just means that it is not a zoom lens and has nothing to do with focal length.

Please save me your "I am good" post return, you said comments are welcome, and so I told you my mine, and you attack me like I dont know anything. I have over 550 posts here, so I hope you understand I know what I am talking about ;-)

Age DOES NOT matter, brains do :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:08 pm 

WoutK89 wrote:
I am sorry, but this thread is actually NOT for showing post processing skills, but for showing what just camera and lens can bring out!!!

+1. When you see edited pictures, you get no idea whatsoever of how the lens performs, therefore you should refrain from showing heavily processed images in the "Sample Images" section.

AF-S 85mm f/1.8G
2 x Speedlight SB-600
Yongnuo RF-603 and other accessories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:55 pm 
Dear Woutk 89:

I apologised for my harsh manner. Maybe I misunderstood your intentions. Pardon me for my ignorance. Anyway i still think my post deserved to be here. Im not trying to show that im good. Im just hoping that the photos can do the thread good. I really don see my photos to go anyhere but stay in this thread.
Ya, i know age is not an issue. But U see young man, u still have this problem. U still think that having 500+ posts will prove u have better brains than someone who have less than 20 post. This alone illustrates the mentality of a 20 year old boy. U might have the brains, but mentality wise u are still a young man's thoughts. This doesnt just apply in forums but also in our daily lives.

Okay, enuff said. Let's just stop the discussion here shall we? I will not post anymore reply in this thread. Cheers Woutk 89 :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:31 pm 
Jansen,

Would you still be able to post the non-processed pictures? It would be useful for people looking to buy the lens as it shows what the lens can do on its own.

Thanks
(ps what camera are you using)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:37 pm 

Jansen Goh wrote:
Maybe I misunderstood your intentions. Pardon me for my ignorance.
Ya, i know age is not an issue. But U see young man, u still have this problem. U still think that having 500+ posts will prove u have better brains than someone who have less than 20 post. This alone illustrates the mentality of a 20 year old boy. U might have the brains, but mentality wise u are still a young man's thoughts. This doesnt just apply in forums but also in our daily lives.

Sorry still not enough said, you keep saying my age does matter, because I have this mentality. I only pointed at my posts that you should realize I know my way around this forum. You are new around here, and I didn't insult you. Still you keep taking the personal approach. AGE IS NOT A WAY TO MEASURE HERE, NOR POSTS, REPLIES DO MATTER AND I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING WRONG ;-) Thanks for listening, and I hope no hard feelings here.

Please like Jeremy asks now too (like I did before) just post the settings used and the UNEDITED pictures in this thread!