Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:46 am 

As some of you might have read, I'm going to Iceland with my wife and a mutual friend in Feburary. So, just to be safe, I thought I'd better check the 520's operating temp. And it says 0 degree C. So, how can I use in Iceland (where the temp. will most likely be bellow 0)?

To come:
Tripod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:56 pm 

Difficult question to answer.

I do know lenses perform differently from each other. If you've only got the kit lenses, I think you're pushing your luck at sub-zero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:49 pm 

Masked Avenger wrote:
Difficult question to answer.

I do know lenses perform differently from each other. If you've only got the kit lenses, I think you're pushing your luck at sub-zero.

I only have the kit lenses. What will happen i I use them in minus degrees

To come:
Tripod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:54 pm 

Well, I am also in Denmark so I am not sure what happens in sub-zero temperatures with Olympus consumer gear. It's too warm over here. :lol:

But I've seen videos of the E3 (and the pro lenses) in freezing rain and tales of people shooting in Antartica with that camera so I know the Olympus pro gear can cope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:54 pm 
I've taken my E-500 out with the kit lens in below freezing temps. Not for very long, but certainly a significant amount of time. Was ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:14 pm 
Also, the camera will probably be fine for sure, if the lens gets ruined though, its not a very expensive piece of equipment and will be a good excuse for you to upgrade!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:38 pm 
Just make sure that you got an extra (warm) battery ready, if out on a long hike in subzero temp, they have tendency run out a bit faster in subzero temp.
And use common sense... but I don't think you need to worry too much. My ED 70-300 have been out in heavy rain and made it without any problems at all.

Uffe //upn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:54 am 

It's regularly -10 in the winters here, and nearby in Japan (where pretty much everyone's camera originates from) it is similarly chilly in winter. If you go to Japan or Korea on a cold -10 winter's day, you will see lots of folk wandering around with DSLRs around their necks. If the cold posed a serious problem, I think I would have heard lots of stories, but I haven't.

I just think performance is perhaps compromised at low temps (particularly battery life) and the camera will shut itself down in higher temps, apparently.

In the past, if it's too painfully cold for me to shoot without gloves, then I don't really want to use my camera anyway.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:26 pm 
I imagine the lenses would fog up in the beginning. but only one way too truly test the e520 at this temp. So make sure you keep us updated. Unless you get stuck out there and freeze to death or caught in an avalanche then dont worry about it.