Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:07 am 

http://blog.tc.dk/?itemid=129

It's a comparison of various photobook website services made by scanning the printed pages at high-res and Blurb comes off quite badly. I''m not sure about the Dutch one the author cites as the best, but his runner-up, the Fuji one, comes from Fuji.de which has rolled-out a new service called 'Fujifilm Photobook Brilliant'. Rather than use half-tone digital offset printing they're producing books on photopaper but with the feel of a book. It's won a bunch of Awards, TIPA 2009, but for now is limited to delivery in Germany. I suppose if they have a physical shop it would be possible to arrange a courier to collect the book and deliver it to the U.K or wherever. I was considering Blurb but I've heard a lot of complaints, but since I'm in the U.K and the guy from Manchester swears by them then we probably will have the same print house and QC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:13 pm 

Hello markliens, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:31 pm 

Did you get your 2nd book issue sorted in the end?

I just ordered another two books from blurb which were exactly the same as the first one I did with them. One out of the two books had two pages with print defects on them. Almost as though the colour between the two pages had bleed together creating a blob of random colour on the page.

I got in contact with Blurb and they were quite quick to respond. Long and short of it is that they're sending me out another book free of charge with their quickest delivery for free. Can't complain at that really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:46 am 

OK, so Blurb has definitely taking a nose dive in quality. I've ordered 5 books now, and each was progressively and noticeably worse than the last.

The paper quality has fallen dramatically (even though I always pay for the premium paper) and the prints look "muddy" in quality.

I've done high end printing using HP professional printers, and even though it would be really unreasonable to expect Blurb to match this quality, Blurb's prints are significantly worse to the point where it is quite embarrassing to present it to clients.

I guess you get what you pay for, and maybe its time I started looking at some alternate sources. I might just decouple the album price from my package price and have people pay for that separately, since high end albums are uber expensive.

http://www.laroygreen.com (under construction)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:39 am 

I am wondering what Photobooks are good, and whether they're any better than photographic prints in an album.

Can any of you reccomend any decent photobook suppliers?

I have looked at Photobox so far, but I am aware that both Tesco and Jessops offer the service.

See My thread here