Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:17 am 
Hi,
If I buy a camera that is compatible with SDHC cards, would it be better to buy one 4gb card or two 2gb cards?

I ask because looking at some old posts, people have 2 x 2gb and I wondered why they wouldn't just buy 1 x 4gb. Do they buy 2 just in case something goes wrong?

Also, are Sandisk Ultra the best SDHC cards to buy?

Thanks,
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Hi Mark, I personally prefer to use smaller cards - around 1GB - because if one gets corrupted, lost or stolen, I won't lose all the photos from a trip.

But then I guess by carrying multiple cards, you're increasing the risk of losing one!

Gordon

PS - I use SanDisk Ultra II cards for a lot of my shots - not the fastest, but good value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:15 am 

Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi Mark, I personally prefer to use smaller cards - around 1GB - because if one gets corrupted, lost or stolen, I won't lose all the photos from a trip.

But then I guess by carrying multiple cards, you're increasing the risk of losing one!

Gordon

PS - I use SanDisk Ultra II cards for a lot of my shots - not the fastest, but good value.

Same methodology here. Same cards also, uncannily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:01 pm 

I'll buy the biggest card available, not to fiddle around with those tiny chips. But only when the premium over 2x half capacity is not too high.

I bought class 2 SDHC, but it shows after 3-5 continuous shots.
Sandisk is pretty good, in Germany there is also Transcend which I bought from. No probs so far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:31 pm 

I have 2 x 2Gb Sandisk Extreme SD, a 4Gb Transcend SD and a 4Gb Transcend Class 6 SDHC for my D80.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:36 am 
If for me, i will choose two 2GB selection. A 2GB card is richly fullfill my ordinary photo shooting, the other one i woule prefer to use as my portable storage card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:49 am 

I prefer a few small cards for the same reasons everyone else has already stated. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:28 am 
I agree with Gordon and Zorro. I prefer several smaller cards to one massive card. A friend of mine who went travelling a few years ago was in the situation where he gave his memory card into a photo development place and when they put the card in their machine, it corrupted losing all his photos. It's enough to convince me to carry several smaller cards and not put all my eggs in one basket.

Personally, I've got 1GB and 2GB Sandisk Ultra II cards. Their speed/£ ratio is unrivaled in my opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:00 pm 
The advantage of smaller cards is that if data loss occurs you only lose a small portion of your data.

The disadvantage is puling small cards in and out of the CF camera inference. Wear and tear on the CF door and may be an electrical discharge issue too. The less you do changeovers the less likely any adverse effects will occur.

Personally, I would prefer a high-quality high GB card. I have the SanDisk Ultra IV 8GB. I’II get another for my holiday in April. That should be enough.

As long as you are careful, you should not lose data. You also only have to worry about where one CF card is as opposed to many.

Now it has been reported on the forum that someone lost his or her data once it went in to be processed.

Therefore, the answer is, bring enough large CF cards etc with you, and process them at home instead. That is what I would do. As an IT technician, no one touches my data.