Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:41 pm 

I repeat (but emphazise differently): DVD/DluRay-decoding is not included in WMP12.
You have to install some codec and AFAIK there is no free Bluray codec (same with DVD) and the ones you get together with the Bluray drive are mostly crippled (and are priced into the package).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:32 am 
I understand Thomas, thank you for clearing that up. What do you suggest, i would think a blue ray drive would come with a soft that can playback it's device.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:27 am 

Hi lowliferider,

Unless you buy an OEM drive you may well get a player bundled but, as Thomas says, bundled software is often crippled. For example, I have a bundled copy of Total Media Theatre which plays BD but it doesn't qualify for regular upgrades so if I wanted the latest version of TMT I'd have to pay full price. But fortunately I don't rely on my Media PC to play Blu-ray content as a my standalone player does a far better job.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:00 pm 
Maybe that's why I'm getting a mac in december... I'm kinda tired of doing all this juggling junk for PC...

Thank you for correcting me.

I'm too naive concerning any sort of trust about the PC media world... I did reed articles in forums about blue ray for windows7... I thought it would be much better for media pleasure (hassle free, no waste of time, and no extra upgrades payable stuff) ...

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy to know this, what I can learn in this forum from photography to computers stuff... thanks to all.

It's a great cyber community. And very friendly
you're all to thank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 pm 
I've installed W7 Home Premium on my computer and I'm able to play DVDs using WMP. I have no other players installed so this much mean that a DVD codec is installed by default.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:45 pm 

As my quote regarding DVD+Bluray codecs was from mighty Microsoft itself I can only suspect two different reasons for your system behaviour , Philip: There was a DVD codec "smuggled" onto your system via e.g. another software like Nero or the premium edition comes with a codec (which I don't believe).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:51 pm 
Sorry Gordon, looks like no blue ray for you...
Get a PS3... I did... it's great, you can surf the net, watch movies, video chat with friends, and I heard you can play games with it. and no codec crap...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:16 pm 

Just done some extracting with winrar today... wow, good bit faster than under XP. I'm using the x64 multithreaded version.

Still running windows 7 with no restarts or shutdowns since I installed it. Not noticed any slow down at all. Everything is just as snappy.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:24 pm 
Been running 64 bit Professional for almost two weeks now. So far so good. Had an issue with my mobile broadband usb dongle. Eventually found out that you had to run it in Vista compatibility mode as well as administrator. Now works fine.

As far as my hardware goes, it's obviously miles ahead of what I had before (amd x2 4600), and obviously photoshop runs smoother, faster, as does auto gk. Now have i7 920 2.66 Quad Core, Asus P6T X58 motherboard, 6gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz ram (3 x 2gb tripple channel).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:55 pm 
lowliferider wrote:
Sorry Gordon, looks like no blue ray for you...
Get a PS3... I did... it's great, you can surf the net, watch movies, video chat with friends, and I heard you can play games with it. and no codec crap...

Actually, you're wrong about the "codec crap" as you put it, as Sony regularly releases updates for the PS3 which adds more functionality, such as support for more codecs due to customer demand. That's the great thing with a PC, you can add whatever you want to it. And by the by, Mac's require the same codecs to install for certain file formats to be playable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:34 pm 

Hi folks,

I've had the ultimate stress test today, courtesy of a Vista Ultimate x64 upgrade (not a fresh install) to Windows 7 Ultimate x64...

I'd spent a lot of time making sure the hardware drivers were Windows 7 compatible and I'd followed all of the advice of the W7 upgrade advisor so I wasn't expecting trouble. And it seemed that all that preparation had paid off as the W7 upgrade went smoothly, if so slowly at times that I wondered if it had hung, despite bits of flashing text and an ability to move the mouse pointer.

But that first attempt failed right towards the end, after two and a half hours, because a Kaspersky Internet Security file (klim6.sys) caused a BSOD. I'd paused protection as requested but that obviously wasn't enough. The W7 installer automatically rolled back to Vista after a reboot (I didn't even get the option of pressing a button other than Reset to exit the BSOD) and the roll back worked well.

Back in Vista I uninstalled Kaspersky (even though the version I had was specifically W7 compatible) and ran the W7 installer again. Now that I knew that it ran unattended after the first couple of minutes I was able to have some lunch, walk the dogs, have a chat with my hairdresser, stroke her dog, come back and catch up with some American Football and then mosey over to watch the last 30 minutes of the W7 installation.

It went fine except I was a little annoyed to find my nice Desktop picture had gone. By this time it was getting on for five o'clock so I reinstalled Kaspersky (without problem) and started up Firefox. That was the first hint of trouble as my Firefox profile had disappeared. I wasn't too worried about this because I have a rather non-standard setup here with most of my User Data files on the D: drive (de-stresses the SSD) so I went hunting. Five-thirty rolled by and I noticed that Super Flexible File Synchronizer (SFFS) had fired up and was adding and deleting files to synchronise my backup set on the NAS with the D: drive. 'Tick v.g.,' I thought. Actually I wasn't thinking at all as will be seen...

It gradually dawned on me that while a lot of my personal data files were present and correct I could add to the list of those missing not only the Firefox profile but my accounts software data and my Outlook "PST" file. I then realised that SFFS had been doing it's thing and I found that it had deleted over 4,000 files from my NAS backup. My fault, I guess, for setting it up like that but I like it to run unattended. And definitely my own very stupid fault for not disabling SFFS until I was happy with the upgrade but hindsight is a wonderful thing and I'd forgotten to do it.

'Bother,' I thought, or words to that effect. 'I know, I'll restore Vista from the "Complete PC Backup" that I did shortly before the upgrade.'

Wrong! My disk configuration here is pretty non-standard so while I've successfully used that aspect of the Vista installation disk software to restore a simple MediaPC with one hard drive I couldn't get the software to load the drivers in a way which convinced me it was seeing the SATA drive attached to my SAS controller as "Drive 0" (C: drive) and the other four drives connected as RAID 10 as "Drive 1" (D: drive). Maybe there's a way around this but with the potential of wiping out what little of my data remained I bottled it.

Just as well because it turned out that the W7 installer had secretly squirrelled a lot of the data away in the hidden folder "D:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Users" - not exactly obvious and 'Why!' The data I found seems to have allowed me to recover everything I thought I'd lost except for several weeks off my life and further hair loss. Nightmare!!!

The new W7 look and feel will take some getting used to but most of the changes can be customised so I'm pleased I upgraded. Too early to tell whether it will be a more civilised companion than Vista, of course. But I've still got some housework to do before I'm sure everything is working OK. I'll post again if I hit any snags.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:38 am 
A clean format/install is always the best way to go :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:38 am 

Well, that's easy to say but it may be a little simplistic when upgrading from Vista, though I would definitely agree that a fresh installation is the way to go if starting from Windows XP.

When I built the machine which now hosts W7 I did a fresh Vista installation and rebuilt my software environment. That took over a week to complete and, being retired, I'm not just talking about the odd hour or two every evening. I've done both OS upgrades and fresh installations going right back to Windows 2 (yes, I actually used it) and both approaches have pros and cons.

The glitch with "User" data appears to be the only one that might have caused grief and it may have been down to the fact that when I installed Vista, the precursor OS, I initially created the main admin account with the name "Bob Andersson". For reasons I needn't go into, fairly late in the day I renamed that account as "Bob". That worked fine, as it should as Windows specifically provides the option to rename, but the file names hanging off the User folder don't change. I'll have to do some more research but I think it's more than possible that the W7 upgrade installer got confused by this when handling the \AppData subfolders as all the other "User" data, such as the Desktop and much else, did get reinstated correctly

So, with that one caveat, I'd have to say that the upgrade went well, so far... ;)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:56 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Well, that's easy to say but it may be a little simplistic when upgrading from Vista, though I would definitely agree that a fresh installation is the way to go if starting from Windows XP.

When I built the machine which now hosts W7 I did a fresh Vista installation and rebuilt my software environment. That took over a week to complete and, being retired, I'm not just talking about the odd hour or two every evening. I've done both OS upgrades and fresh installations going right back to Windows 2 (yes, I actually used it) and both approaches have pros and cons.

The glitch with "User" data appears to be the only one that might have caused grief and it may have been down to the fact that when I installed Vista, the precursor OS, I initially created the main admin account with the name "Bob Andersson". For reasons I needn't go into, fairly late in the day I renamed that account as "Bob". That worked fine, as it should as Windows specifically provides the option to rename, but the file names hanging off the User folder don't change. I'll have to do some more research but I think it's more than possible that the W7 upgrade installer got confused by this when handling the \AppData subfolders as all the other "User" data, such as the Desktop and much else, did get reinstated correctly

So, with that one caveat, I'd have to say that the upgrade went well, so far... ;)

Bob.

Over a week? Jeez, what did you have to set up? I suppose my setup taking me less than a day is because I don't have to set up any networks etc, and just have the usual image editing programs, plus video conversion programs to set up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:19 pm 

Gregory.Rotter wrote:
Over a week? Jeez, what did you have to set up?...

The accumulated detritus of over fifteen years. :lol:

Seriously, big tasks include getting a number of programming and web design suites up and running as well as the usual office and media stuff. Life could go on without it all, of course, but I'd prefer it didn't, which is one of the reasons I'm pretty paranoid about keeping backups, my faux pas yesterday notwithstanding. :oops:

Bob.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next