Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:01 pm 
I am looking to upgrade my budget tripod which also has an incorrect size release plate... I've got around 300USD and is looking for something to last me for a while. I'll most probably will be carrying it out for walks rather than drive. I've got a modest range of kits D70 and an assortment of medium size lenses and a cheap/light 70-300 as telephoto...

I m looking to upgrade to maybe a D300/700 range body in about a year and possible gun for the 70-200 VR 2.8 too...

The tripod i've narrowed down is

1)Slik Pro 814 II CF (ard 280USD for just the legs and maybe a triopo ball head for 80 USD) = over budget.. (rated at 5.5kgs)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Ball-head-B-2-f ... 3ca4e4d712

2) Triopo CF legs GX1228 similar to Gitzo?? 155 USD for legs (rated at 10kgs)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Photography-Tripod- ... 3ca25d00e4

3) Jusino TV-254C - a CF leg tripod with a ball head, only 145 USD for the lot (rated at 8 kilos)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Photography-TV- ... 4ce9832907

Just wondering if anyone has tried out the other brands other than the slik? Being chinese brands i m just a bit worried about the quality, although their specs say they can handle much heavier loads than the near 300USD slik..Or maybe i shud look for a better ball head? The chinese brands seems to be the Cheapest CF legs i've seen...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:32 pm 

I think we have 2 members here with Giotto tripods and they like them a lot. I myself am rooting for a Hama Omega III Carbon tripod as the ultimate price/quality combination, but that will put you over the budget I'm afraid at 300 bucks.

However, I think that tripod is perfect, and if you end up buying a new tripod in 2 years and I'm still using mine, you'll have spent more than me...

Decisions decisions....visit a camera store if you're not sure and want to test them out.

PS: a good budget option is the 190XB or XDB legs from manfrotto + a head of your choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:35 am 
Well, I was looking at the Giottos range but unfortunate from where I m from (Australia) the cheapest on ebay will require about 70-80 US dollars shipping...so that will definitely offset the price..Benro isnt too cheap from the other brands and there's been some bad reviews abt the quality..

The thing is I dont think the chinese brands are available instore... Although i like the Slik 714 that i saw here.. Your omega isnt veri suitable for me, as i m only 165cm, i wouldnt need the 202cm max height it can extend to! heheh

Thanks for your opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:26 am 

Hi tbong27,

I share your pain as it is very hard to find good information about tripods. I've linked to it before but I make no apology for doing so again - Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan. It probably won't help inform your choice above directly but there's good advice there, IMHO.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:10 pm 
Hi Bob,

I've actually read that article a few times by now. But being an inexperience tripod user, i can only say i wouldnt know much of a difference even if you give me a 700 and a 200 dollar tripod. Same with ball heads. Just something thats stable, fast to set up, and strong enough for that kit upgrade.

Being an enthusiast, at this point in time, definitely unjustifiable to get $700 legs and $400 ballheads. Prob i can try one out and give a review. Leaning towards the 155 dollar Triopo, "7 carbon fibre layers, with the outer layer being bullet proof", Marketing Hoo-Ha?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:23 pm 

Hi tbong27,

Quote:
"7 carbon fibre layers, with the outer layer being bullet proof"

It's been a while since I had the pleasure of visiting but I don't remember too many bullets flying around in down-town Brisbane. :lol:

I only occasionally use my tripod so I'm probably one of the least qualified members here insofar as advising is concerned. I opted for a lightweight and compact carbon fibre tripod as portability was my main issue. As a result I have to take care when using it and generally use a remote shutter release for best stability. One thing I'm pleased I did was to get the best ball-head I could for the size and budget. Having a smooth head which is easily adjusted and then locked into place makes initial framing of the shot a pleasure. But as an existing tripod owner you already knew that so I think I'd better shut up at this point and hand over to the experts... 8)

Good luck with your search.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.