Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:34 pm 
I'm new to posting in the forum, although I must have spent weeks poring over the reviews when I was going to DSLR last Christmas.

Fast forward almost a year, and I've screwed up the courage to finally start taking part in the challenges.

This one's great, and I really enjoyed the examples you posted Bjorn.

My original plan was to show three meals over the course of my weekday (breakfast and dinner with my wife and child, lunch at work with...work) but just couldn't get the results I wanted.

So when they started making cupcakes for Lily's 2nd birthday, inspiration struck!

Good luck, everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:35 am 
This great is a chance for me to put my skills to the test. I've only had my camera since October 13, and I've been studying all the tutorials and reviews on this website. I've honestly never been so inspired in my life. I'm getting many many ideas! I actually saw this thread last night and decided to take pictures today, but when I got home and looked over them, I realized that I wanted to do something extra with what I had. Now I have to go back for that last picture. :D

The only thing is that I might be out of my league since I FAIL horribly at any photo manipulating programs such as Photoshop. A bit discouraging, but I still want to try my very best! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:46 pm 

Hello SolarSanction, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
Nice that you plan to participate in the assignment!
As to your struggle with post processing let me tell you: I'm still at odds with Photoshop and prefer Adobe's Lightroom. There are also many people how prefer not to manipulate the outcome of a shot but use it "straight out of the camera".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:46 am 
Thomas wrote:
Hello SolarSanction, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
Nice that you plan to participate in the assignment!
As to your struggle with post processing let me tell you: I'm still at odds with Photoshop and prefer Adobe's Lightroom. There are also many people how prefer not to manipulate the outcome of a shot but use it "straight out of the camera".

Thanks so much for the welcome.
----
Edit: I've worked my best using many tutorials for photoshop. I'm glad to say that it came out quite well. The last picture was the most manipulated. Only borders were added to the first two. I hope you all enjoy my work. I was VERY inspired. :D 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:01 pm 

Solarsanction, what a great entry the set of photos and story content. I really like it. Nice work.
sue

sigma 18-200 os lens

All my photos are clickable
my flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27828538@N03/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:22 pm 
naniani wrote:
Solarsanction, what a great entry the set of photos and story content. I really like it. Nice work.
sue

Thank you so much! It's funny because I really thought I had everything planned out. My initial approach to this was a falling leaf, but I went up to our school library to catch up on some studying and I couldn't help but think about the theme for this month. I thought to myself "Series. Story. Books! And I just made the connection to my surroundings and I saw how attractive the lines in the library were. The thing I loved about it was not that I planned it, but I was inspired at that very moment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:14 am 

SolarSanction,

Very interesting commentary, generally I’m not a fan of B&W but have found some interesting shots on this forum including your set, great theme well done. Besides learning photography here, it also broadens one’s perspective on life and perhaps tunnel vision we may have but have not realised it. The forum has broadened my outlook and hopefully some of my tunnel vision.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:14 am 

Love these entries..still some time..eh? maybe something halloween inspired? LOVE the match set..good good good work!

love,
p

Post subject: Ditto
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:27 pm 
naniani wrote:
sue

I agree, the story won my vote. nice entry SolarSanction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:23 pm 
long time out / too busy

really a coincidence when I visited October's assignment, these series I shoot @ 10th matched Bjorn theme

working directly from fri/30 to sat/31 almost 24h, when stop for rest something was at time for my submission... hope all of you like

comments:

Geo: I like your 3th photograph a lot

Paul SC: can't see your images!

Alan: terrific! your set it's wonderful... best creative set

Bjorn: not sure if you can tell a story by only showing your set. I'd like to see more of Rotherdam, though.

Vintahah: good creativity / simplicity

naeno: second image very good...

SolarSanction: I found your set one of the best... only feel last of the set a bit "plastic" (sepia selection). thus a more natural look = stunning!

WestCoast: birds have these things... turn out to be the most life beauty to me... that couple (ducks?) are shining here.

mikeroch: I liked very much. not sure if you could explore more the 3th capture

my vote: Alan

bests for all,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:33 pm 

Thanks for the comment Jose! I sorta ran out of time, being so busy with university... so I opted for a series that didn't have a very powerful story. Hope some of you like the pictures though! :)

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:20 pm 
joseluissc wrote:
SolarSanction: I found your set one of the best... only feel last of the set a bit "plastic" (sepia selection). thus a more natural look = stunning!

I'd have to agree. When I took the original picture (color) I really loved the warm and cozy feeling to it. It made it look like the library was a place of comfort, but when I started to edit it in photoshop, it started to look more out of place against black and white. It was my first time using photoshop for that technique. I've learned my lesson, and if I do that again, I'll make sure to remember to capture its natural color.

Thanks to everyone for their support, compliments, and votes. It means a lot to me.

My favorite submission is dilbarmano's. Very powerful. Capturing images of old people in their daily lives is very compelling.

I also like Alan's, but I just thought the last picture threw it off a bit. Very nice submission though.

Post subject: carry on
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:06 pm 
Hello Patti,

I liked your idea, but came out too subjective, or difusse probably, for me.

I hope you can come up with another series under the same title, regardles if the challenge is over.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:19 pm 
Hi SolarSanction.

Your entry is excelent, Congrats!!!

However, from my point of view, I think it goes a little bit off the spirit of the challenge as I understood it... too many words.
If you could pack everythnig into a phase, then it would just be perfect.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:39 pm 
statseng wrote:
Hi SolarSanction.

Your entry is excelent, Congrats!!!

However, from my point of view, I think it goes a little bit off the spirit of the challenge as I understood it... too many words.
If you could pack everythnig into a phase, then it would just be perfect.

Cheers!
Hahaha. Thank you! You might be right about that... In that case you can just ignore everything BUT the last part!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next