Bob Andersson wrote:
Maybe Bjorn van Sinttruije
can offer some suggestions as he is based in the Netherlands?
Yes, I live in Holland, but I have never been in Amsterdam. I've heard a lot about it, of course, but I can't give you any tips where you should go. I think just about any tourist visits the Red Light District (or 'De wallen' in Dutch), but this may not be your kind of thing. I've heard that many tourist just walk there and 'enjoy the architecture'.
I looked up a travelling guide, to give you some suggestions:
- You might want to visit the zoo (Artis), I did that a long, long time ago, so I don't remember it (I was probably 4 years old, I guess).
- The 'Scheepvaartmuseum' (Nautical museum) has some impressive ships.
- I believe NEMO is close to the Nautical museum, it's a science centre, with all kinds of funny experiments, mainly for children.
- You should probably skip the house of Anne Frank (WW2 victim), because there are too many tourists.
- The VVV is the place for tourists, tours, maps, everything you'll need is available there.
- The travelling guide recommends the 'Bloemenmarkt' (Flower Market), it's opened every day (ask the VVV for the location).
That's pretty much all I can tell, because I haven't been in A'dam myself. I hope you'll still read this. If so: have a nice holiday!
Groeten uit Nederland (Greetings from the Netherlands),
- Bjorn -