Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:56 am 
Edited to be more precise.

I need a camera bag for my new Nikon D90 as soon as possible to take it on a trip to Israel in October.

What I want to fit in the bag:
- Nikon D90 with 18-105 mm VR kit lens mounted
- 1 spare battery
- 1 lens hood
- 2 filters
- 1 spare SD card
- optionally: 1 charging cable

And like quite a number of people, I would not object if the bag did not shout "expensive camera gear inside" to the rest of the world. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:34 am 
Take a look at the lowepro flipside's, the zipper is up against your back making your gear very secure and the bags are all black so it doesn't broadcast "STEAL ME"

http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Camera,14.htm

Another word of advice, don't walk around with your camera in hand that is just asking to get it taken. Pull it out to use it then put it back. I would also suggest buying a bag that is bigger than you need because you will have more gear sooner or later. I am about to outgrow my first bag with what I have accumulated. Have a good trip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:25 am 

Quote:
don't walk around with your camera in hand that is just asking to get it taken
This for me is the dilemma of having a good camera, you need it in your hand to get any spontaneous shots, carrying it around in a bag means you miss things.

It is the same contradiction of the advice not to use a mobile phone in public as it makes you a target for thieves. It's a mobile phone, if you are not going to use it outside why even carry it?

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:55 pm 

The Lowepro fastpack is perfect. I've used it on hiking trips, carry on in flights, etc. You can get to your camera quickly, it doesn't shout camera bag (imo), and it has a ton of padding. It's just as secure as the flipside, too. Check it out, you won't regret it if you get it. Oh, and it's cheaper than a lot of those bags out there.

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Fastpack-250-Black/dp/B000YIYQ30/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255622211&sr=8-1

As long as you keep the neck strap on, nobody's going to steal it from you easily. If the area is really that infested with brave thieves, then get some camera insurance. Or a gun, or something. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:32 pm 

keystrokesuk wrote:
Quote:
don't walk around with your camera in hand that is just asking to get it taken
This for me is the dilemma of having a good camera, you need it in your hand to get any spontaneous shots, carrying it around in a bag means you miss things.

It is the same contradiction of the advice not to use a mobile phone in public as it makes you a target for thieves. It's a mobile phone, if you are not going to use it outside why even carry it?

Wrap the strap around your wrist 3 times and then hold it by the grip. Always do this and you're a lot safer :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:09 am 
i recommend

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/ ... r-bag.aspx

it is very high quality and versatile, fits what you describe perfectly with extra room for small lens or accessories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:20 pm 
I looked at the slingshot and for me (and hopefully my future D90) it is perfect. I am only not sure of mu choice because it doesn't seem to have the option to attach a tripod to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:01 pm 

I use a crumpler 6MDH and could not be happier. It fits my 50D with 18-200 attached and spare 50mm plus ipod, sunglasses, phone and various other essentials. There is even room for another zoom too.
It doesnt scream "Camera Bag" and is still small enough to carry everywhere.
As a satchel it is also very easy to open quickly and get your camera out for a shot.
If you don't have that much kit/stuff then go for the 4 or maybe even the 5 Million Dollar Homes.

430EX speedlight
Photoshop CS4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:31 pm 
In the end, I settled for a camera bag of National Geographic's Walkabout line. It fits my Nikon D90 and 18-105 kit lens as well as a spare battery, two filters, USB cable, several memory cards and the kit's lens hood and then some smaller items.

I chose this bag because it could be carried on its strap over my shouder as well as carried around in my bigger backpack.

Downsides: I think the padding could be a bit thicker. After about one year of extensive use, the floor padding is sagging a bit, so I'm extra careful when putting the back down on the ground.