Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon EOS 350D
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:05 pm 
I am considering buying one of these cameras. Is it worth paying extra for a USM 18-55mm lense from Jessops or is the standard suitable? Is there a noticable working differncen between them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Hi there, welcome to the forums. That's an interesting question... Just before Christmas I checked out the 18-55mm EF-S USM version and the AF is only slightly faster and quieter than the standard model. The front element still rotates and it's optically identical.

Personally speaking, I'd be happy to pay, say, 20 to 30 quid more for it over the non-USM version, but no more, as there's not much difference in practice. You should check it out in Jessops though to see if the difference is worth more to you personally though. If they're doing a good deal, it's a nice bonus, but nothing to be overly concerned or swayed by.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:47 am 
i have a question that's bugging me for a while.

the EOS 350D has a steel chassis but the mirror chamber is made out of high-strength 'engineering plastic'. the lenst mount is on the mirror chamber, right? so my question is: how long does the lens mount will be parallel with the sensor plane? because it's plastic and it will deform (i think). a lens mount wich isn't parallel with the sensor plane most likely will mean that the picture wouldn't reproduce corectly on the sensor, am i correct?

Vlad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Vlad / Noji, yes, the sensor plane has to be perfectly parallel with the lens mount to ensure the optical field isn't compromised.

As to how well Canon's engineering plastic maintains this, I can't say. What I can say is I've been shooting with the 350D for 18 months, and the 300D for 18 months before that, and haven't experienced any problems in this respect.

There's inevitably some build quality compromises with entry-level, light cameras though. If you demand something tougher, you'll need to pay more and put up with a heavier body.

If you believe your own 350D isn't 100% though and its within its warranty, you may wish to return it or evaluate another to see if it's any better.

Gordon