Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:11 pm 

if you really want the OSX operating system but cant afford a macbook then a good pc running windows 7 will do the job. Windows 7 has a secrete dual boot coding installed called "training camp" that allows of the shelf OSX operating system to be installed and used as a partitioned boot os.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:41 am 
Orsan Kart wrote:
if you really want the OSX operating system but cant afford a macbook then a good pc running windows 7 will do the job. Windows 7 has a secrete dual boot coding installed called "training camp" that allows of the shelf OSX operating system to be installed and used as a partitioned boot os.

Serious? :shock:

How does it handle the EFI? Cos that would be really neat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:43 am 

Orsan Kart wrote:

I doubt OSX comes with the correct drivers for hardware found in anything other than Mac computers. Bad idea, unless the guys at Apple decided to put a ton of drivers they would never need in OSX...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:34 am 
OSX runs fine on many but not all hardware. Check you can check the list of hackintosh compatible components if you want a better idea of what will work. I'm not sure why so many parts work but they do. For example, OSX will run on GPUs other than the ones Apple includes in their models.

I think it's a great idea on Microsoft's part because it stops people from buying Apple's hardware. Unless Microsoft put a ton of resources into developing this, it shouldn't affect them negatively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:16 pm 

Hmm, that is strange. I don't see why Apple would do that lol. It seems like they want people to buy their hardware when they buy OSX.

Edit: Looks like everything on my pc is compatible except for my sound card. :( I'm not a huge fan of OSX but I might have tried it if that worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:38 pm 

The hackingtosh road is not one you really want to go down. One upgrade and you can mess up your whole install, not to mention the amount of work to get it to boot in the first place. Then there's the drivers....

Nah, not worth it if you ask me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:42 pm 

Ugh, yeah. I wasn't seriously considering it. Just an idea I had for about 5 minutes before I go "nevermind!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:16 am 
Citruspers wrote:
The hackingtosh road is not one you really want to go down. One upgrade and you can mess up your whole install, not to mention the amount of work to get it to boot in the first place. Then there's the drivers....

Nah, not worth it if you ask me.

This is a problem when you run a modified version of OSX. The EFI-X module plugs into a USB header on the motherboard and emulates the EFI, in short it runs without issue as long as your hardware is compatible. Legal fine print aside, it isn't much different from an actual mac if you can ignore the lack of chrome and glass.

If Microsoft's bootloader can emulate the EFI the way the EFI-X does, then it should run equally smoothly. Maybe they've figured out a different way, I'm curious to see how it pans out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:27 am 

Arn't you supposed to be looking at the screen using the computer not the case :P

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:59 am 

DD_nVidia wrote:
Arn't you supposed to be looking at the screen using the computer not the case :P

Yeah but then I can't look all smug down at the local Starbucks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:18 am 

hmmm... true.

I dont like starbucks; coffee, hot chocolate or any other of the weird and apparently over priced drinks/snacks they sell :lol: Heck I only just ordered a subway for the first time couple weeks ago, it wasnt even for me haha!

I'd rather geek it out with an IBM thinkpad, no nonsense 8)

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:15 am 

Hah, I completely agree. I actually was thinking about an IBM notebook when I was writing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:02 am 

Clipping from http://techrepublic.com.com

4. Dual-boot software to run Mac OS X, known as ‘Training Camp’

Apple opened the door to more users - especially IT pros - in recent years by buildingBoot Camp into its Macintosh computers to allow them to run Windows along side Mac OS X in a dual-boot configuration. Not to be outdone, Microsoft as a secret dual-boot loader in Windows 7 that allows it to emulate Mac hardware and configure Mac OS X as an alternative boot option using the standard off-the-shelf Mac boot discs. In a fit of cleverness, Microsoft has decided to name it “Training Camp,” which I found out when I uncovered the Help file. However, I’m not sure what it is training for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:44 pm 

I cant find that story on the site mate... and I doubt that since your not allowed to run the Apple OS X OS (any version) on a non Apple branded machine.

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:19 pm 

DD_nVidia wrote:
I cant find that story on the site mate... and I doubt that since your not allowed to run the Apple OS X OS (any version) on a non Apple branded machine.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=3120

its a great site, use it for my studies etc!