Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Search optimization
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:30 am 
How do i get my site to show up on google in the first few results with out paying google? I want to be in the first few results when you google my name and then my goal is to eventually have my name show up when you google photographer and my area of operation. What are the tricks to boosting your site to the top of the list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tomis, your best bet is to make sure your page titles and the actual file names themselves have some unique words in them - unique to you anyway! Include your name, location, profession and expertise. Basically, use the words you want people to find you with - such as searching for 'Utah wedding photographer'.

It's hard for us because we do digital camera reviews and so do loads of other sites, but for an individual, it's much easier.

So your front page title should not say 'home' or 'index'. It should say 'Tomis xxx photography - wedding, portrait, landscape photography in xx Utah'

Use as many key words like these as possible in your page titles.

Then also use them in the file name thmselves. That's why you see

'Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II_review.htm' rather than 'page1.htm'

Obviously your home page will still be index.htm, but your contact page should be 'contact_tomis_xx_utah_wedding_photographer.htm'. Likewise, use good names for your portfolio.

You should also insert your keywords into the keywords section in the page, but I've found the page title and the actual file name have the biggest influence.

After that it's simpoly a case of waiting. It can take weeks to be indexed when you're new. If you have unique titles and names, then you'll have a high ranking automatically becuase you're the only one with those key words. But if your key words are the same as lots of other sites (like ours), then you have to rely on lots of visitors and external links before you have a high ranking. That's why unique wording is essential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:38 pm 

In addition to what Gordon says, organic search results rely heavily on relevance. Your website will get a higher search position if your site is being refered to by other websites. The value of a reference depends on the 'relevance' (google calls this Page Rank) of the refering site. Getting your site linked on (subject related) portals is a good start.

To use keywords in a stylish way you can use a tagcloud (though I personally do not find them useful as a visitor).

Another minor thing to consider is labeling your images with keywords (the title attribute of the IMG tag). Adding titles to your hyperlinks may also help.

Don't try to fool a searchengine by adding hidden / transparent keywords though! Spiders are able to detect these trics to some extent and you may get a penalty (lower page rank or even exclusion from the index).

Last but not least: get yourself a visitor monitor which statistically displays the reference of your visitor. Find the popular keywords your visitors are using to get to your website and improve your site accordingly.