Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:40 pm 

Hi folks,

The folks over at Trusted Reviews have just published this review of the Pentax K7. While the review isn't as thorough as the CameraLabs reviews the verdict is worth quoting:
    The Pentax K-7 is a superb camera, and really puts the cat among the pigeons at the top of the APS-C DSLR market. It has rugged weatherproof build quality, superb handling and offers every creative feature you could possibly want and more besides. Performance and image quality are a match for anything else in its class. It's a tempting package for any keen amateur or semi-pro.
Looks good. I've no idea if or when Gordon will get his hands on one but I hope it's soon. 8)

Bob.

EDIT: I've changed the thread title

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:06 pm 

I hope Gordon can test one soon as well.

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:57 am 

Thanks for posting this link, Bob. It's nice to see a review of the K7 based on an actual production model as opposed to a preview using pre-finalized firmware. I was interested to see that the reviewer thought the K7 on-par with or better than the Canon 50D in terms of both IQ and noise at high ISO:

Quote:
Also improved over the K20D's already impressive performance is the image quality. The benchmark for IQ in this class is the Canon EOS 50D, and in my opinion the Pentax K-7 matches or surpasses it in every criterion. It produces roughly the same levels of high-ISO image noise, i.e. not much, and has superior dynamic range and colour depth. The overall level of detail is excellent, and exposure, colour reproduction and focusing were reliably accurate even in extremely awkward lighting conditions. All in all, a very solid performance from a camera that has proved to be one of the highlights of the year, and arguably the best APS-C camera currently available.

I was extraordinarily impressed with the in-camera HDR result of the stained glass window in the church- really fantastic and very natural.

I, too, am anxiously waiting for Gordon's review. Let's keep our fingers crossed that he gets hold of one soon. If Gordon finds a similar sort of quality in his review, this may very well an upcoming upgrade for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:17 am 

Bonjour Gordon,

I hope Pentax would be kind enough to supply you with a K-7 for a full review. There are so many features to test :!:

Best regards from France :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:08 pm 

Yes a really good review and every review I have read on the K7 has gotten great marks, I also have the K7 and find it a fantastic camera much better than my K20D the noise is the same but looks better on the K7, also dpreview should have a review out very soon;)

Canon 5D II, EF 24-105 f4 L IS, EF 16-35 2.8 L, EF 100 2.8 L IS Macro, EF 70-200 2.8 IS L II, Canon S90, Canon speedLight 580 EX II LowePro Sling Bag 302 AW, Photoshop CS5 Extended, Paint Shop Pro X3.

http://www.pbase.com/spartanwarrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:30 pm 

SpartanWarrior wrote:
Yes a really good review and every review I have read on the K7 has gotten great marks, I also have the K7 and find it a fantastic camera much better than my K20D the noise is the same but looks better on the K7, also dpreview should have a review out very soon;)

Haha. Are you the same Spartan warrior from PF?

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:44 am 

GLXLR wrote:
SpartanWarrior wrote:

Haha. Are you the same Spartan warrior from PF?
Pentax Forum, Yes I am;)

Canon 5D II, EF 24-105 f4 L IS, EF 16-35 2.8 L, EF 100 2.8 L IS Macro, EF 70-200 2.8 IS L II, Canon S90, Canon speedLight 580 EX II LowePro Sling Bag 302 AW, Photoshop CS5 Extended, Paint Shop Pro X3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:21 am 
I have to say - this is the most attractive PENTAX model yet in my opinion.
I mean aesthetically as well as the features.
As soon as the price becomes just as attractive, I think I'm in ;)

Post subject: The dpRiview is in
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:59 pm 
Just FYI, the dpReview is in, and they, too, had some good thing to say about the K-7D: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/

Gordon: Any news on when our most trusted reviewer will get his hands on one of these babies :?:

-David

Post subject: Re: The dpRiview is in
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:11 pm 

djp_music wrote:
Just FYI, the dpReview is in, and they, too, had some good thing to say about the K-7D: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/

Gordon: Any news on when our most trusted reviewer will get his hands on one of these babies :?:

-David
A very good review, but they had lots of good things to say;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi djp_music, don't forget dpreview blocks links to cameralabs, so in the spirit of fairness, I'd prefer we didn't promote them here.

As for a review of the K7, I'm afraid I've no idea. Pentax has gone very quiet of late and doesn't seem interested in sending products to test. So if they don't send them, I can't test them. Remember I live in a remote part of the world where supplies can be slow or tight. And if they do come, but too late, commercially there's no point in reviewing them. At this rate I won't be doing the K7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:05 pm 
there is a $100 rebate in US. the K7 price now is around $1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:09 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi djp_music, don't forget dpreview blocks links to cameralabs .

Why? That's pathetic.

Gordon Laing wrote:
As for a review of the K7, I'm afraid I've no idea. Pentax has gone very quiet of late and doesn't seem interested in sending products to test. So if they don't send them, I can't test them. Remember I live in a remote part of the world where supplies can be slow or tight. And if they do come, but too late, commercially there's no point in reviewing them. At this rate I won't be doing the K7.

Well, I hope someone ASKS Pentax to send Gordon K7, so we can see a review :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:32 pm 

Hello VAnand, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
"Why? That's pathetic." Well yes, they are fighting by all means to preserve their click-rates. No diversion to other sites allowed :roll:
But let's not take this thread OT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:01 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi djp_music, don't forget dpreview blocks links to cameralabs, so in the spirit of fairness, I'd prefer we didn't promote them here.

Sorry. I had no idea. I will avoid doing so in the future.

Quote:

:( That's disappointing, but if there's nothing you can do, then there's nothing you can do. Shame on Pentax! :x

Cheers!

David