Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:42 pm 
hello
so in my computar in my room i have a 40 gig harddrive in
and 2 spares hard drives in my room should i put another one it (also 40 gig) just for photos? or just keep the one i have now in? i am expecting to take atleast 10-15 pictures aday of family friends and aggressive skating and other things, and i have alot of music on my comp

how big is a average picture? [kb]

also should i get a copy of photoshop (my mate has got it and said i could borrow) or should i just use GIMP (some might of heard of it its like photoshop but free and im sure not as good)

many thanks Patrick
:) sorry for spelling the spell check on fire fox isnt working

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:59 pm 
I have a 230gb hard drive and there is easily over 1000 pics on it and i've only had it for a few months.. i think it has like 220gb of free space left.. i take alot of bmx pictures and i will upload 200+ pictures a day quite often.. so i would definatly recommend getting a seperate hard drive just for photos and i would go as big as possible..

Oh and get photoshop.. its the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:59 pm 

Put another one in, Patrick.
40GB will take 10.000 photos in jpeg (at 4MB each).
If you shoot RAW+jpeg that melts down to 3000 photos per 40 GB :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:33 am 

I have 89GB of images. There's no such thing as too much memory or storage space.

For a more detailed appraisal of your needs you'll need to say what camera you're using and what OS you're currently running. A full system spec wouldn't go amiss either.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:17 pm 
HDDs are so cheap now; you are better off purchasing a new one for your photos, song collection, images and backups of other critical data, say 300GB SATA II from Seagate and come with a 5-year guarantee for about £60.

Bare in mind that a HDD will fail in time so backup your data using DVD-Rs, otherwise you will lose the lot. Use two HDDs ideally and backup across them – duplicate the data on each. That’s what I do. I don’t bother with RAID, I use 3 SCSI HDDs and 4 300GB HDD.

In total I have a replicate everything on each HDD (across the 3 SCSI HDDs and one SATA HDD, e.g., critical data, on a separate volume. Then I DVD DL-R the lot.

Depending on your system PS will be very heavy on it so if you need a hardware upgrade, upgrade your memory. The more PS plug-ins installed the harder it will be to start up in a timely fashion. Another latest HDD would be ideal for your OS and PS too.

You need to supply your machines spec for specific help in this regard. Don’t bother upgrading memory if it is the old types as it is not very cost effective or of any real benefit.