Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:29 pm 
I used Nikon film cameras for years and still have a few lenses that I would like to keep when I make the switch to digital. Pentax seems to offer the most bang for the buck though and I am finding it hard to resist making the switch. For the money I save on a K20D instead of getting a D90 for example I can also get a macro lens.

The only reason I am hesitant is because of what I keep reading on the autofocus performance of the K20D. People say it is great for portraits and landscape photography, but does do well with keeping up with kids, sports, pets, etc...

As a proud father of 4 children and owner of 2 dogs this can be an issue. Are the stories true, or is it like so many other things on the internet, just blown out of proportion?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:39 pm 
Welcome to the forum!

Well yes,the Pentax AF system is a tad slower than others,but still neither the K20D or D90 are made for action photography. For that,you need a faster & more precise AF system,found in the Nikon D300 or the Canon 40D. Also,lenses with built-in motors help with the speed factor.
Nevertheless,you can obtain good shots with any of those cameras. You can always test a camera at a store,to see it's potential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:07 am 

The Pentax AF system is decently fast in available light. IN low light it hunts quite a bit. The K-7 fixed all of this though. Made low light focusing possible and made regular AF situations blazingly fast. i would know. Tried it myself. :D

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:38 am 
for kids running around. I think k20d still can cope with that.

Post subject: K20D autofocus
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:26 pm 
I have a Canon 10D and have tried both the 40 and 50D wich are great cameras.
Recently I had to buy a new camera with more resolution in order to provide more detailed photos for a particular client so I went for a ride to see what camera should I buy.
After much thought and several tests I opted for K20D. It lacks the rapid burst of Canon but for the price of 50D I bought K20D + 18-50 + 50-200mm
and had the battery grip thrown in.
Given the quality of the set I'm sure I had a terrific deal.
the auto-focus is marginally slower than Canon's but if go for 16-60 SDM instead the base kit I think you won't see any difference to Canon's speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:37 am 
do u mean 17-70mm sdm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:02 am 
I've used my friend's K10d for quite a bit and the AF seems to sacrifice accuracy for speed. In good lighting it is fast but in dim conditions not so good. I'm pretty sure all the Pentax camera's use the same AF system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:13 am 

grahamnp wrote:
I've used my friend's K10d for quite a bit and the AF seems to sacrifice accuracy for speed. In good lighting it is fast but in dim conditions not so good. I'm pretty sure all the Pentax camera's use the same AF system.

Not the K-7 or K-m (K-x uses K20D's old AF system)

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:12 am 
Thanks for the correction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:17 pm 
Enche Zein wrote:
do u mean 17-70mm sdm?

That's correct. Sorry for the mislead information.

Post subject: K20D autofocus
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:29 pm 
Hi to ya all
I know that we all like to have a subject to discuss and this one is as good as any.
It reminds me of similar discussions on motorcycle foruns about the advantages of particular bike over the alleged flaws of another...
I have a BMW GS wich is trail bike. It doesn't run so fast as many others, it may have not the luxurys of some others but in daily use none is more capable of givin full satisfaction to the user.
Let's make photos not "war";)