Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Questions about K-10D
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:19 pm 
I am getting ready to buy a new camera. I have owned a point and shoot Olympus since that camera was introduced. I also own a 35mm Pentax P3, and it is over 20 years old and works as good today as the day I got it. I am not completely abandoning my 35mm film camera, but digital will suit me better since you do not have to print everything and that = cheaper.
I am considering three cameras and the K-10 is one of those. I have two very important questions to those of you that already own a K-10. This is my two main concerns.
1. Are your JPEG images as sharp and colorful as standard when you change the setting on the camera? I know at default setting the camera lacks.

2. Has anyone had trouble with the LCD display on top of the camera? My old point and shoot had a display on top, and it went dark after about one year.

I appreciate any information that you can give to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:00 pm 

Bonsoir Bob,

Congratulations for considering the K10D :!:

I'm very happy with this camera and wrote a :arrow: Pentax K10D User Review.

Answering more specifically to your questions,
Quote:
1. Are your JPEG images as sharp and colorful as standard when you change the setting on the camera? I know at default setting the camera lacks.

Actually, I changed my *ist DL for a K10D because the *ist DL produced over-saturated colours.

With the K10D, I always use the standard mode. I don't like the bright mode which seems to punchy for me. Anyway, that's a matter of taste :!:

The best answer comes with shooting in RAW mode (or in combined JPEG + RAW mode): have look :arrow: here with full red pictures :)

You have also the possibility to use bracketing for saturation: you shoot once but the camera records three pictures with different saturation settings. Jsut amazing :)

Quote:
2. Has anyone had trouble with the LCD display on top of the camera? My old point and shoot had a display on top, and it went dark after about one year.

Personnaly, I've no problem with the LCD and my K10D is 9 months old now.

Which lenses do you consider :?:

Best regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:28 am 
Good Evening Rei Vilo,

Thanks for your reply. I am going to get the included lens - the Pentax DA 18-55mm. That is about all I can do right now, but once I get the hang of this camera I may get a better lens later. What do you think of the lens that comes with the camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:18 am 

Bonjour Bob,

The 18-55mm is a good lens to start with. However, I've complained about the vignetting at small f. Pentax has another lens with very close range, the 16-45mm, said to be better, but I' haven't tested it. If you could afford, go for the 50-200mm, which provides a clearly better image quality.

There's a thread about the :arrow: 18-55mm and 16-45mm lenses that could help you, with very interesting links.
Quote:
The K10D comes with multiple bundles with lens at very aggressive prices. For example, the body only is rated at USD 660 and the body + 18-55mm bundle has a price tag of USD 730, that is, USD 70 only for the lens!

Check also the special holidays season rebates, see :arrow: http://www.pentaximaging.com/purchase/rebates_offers/

The dSLR system brings the opportunity to start with one lens, play and learn with it, then purchase another lens, and so on :!:

Enjoy your K10D :)