Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:28 am 

Gordon, you can get D300-like noise grain if you set the 50D's noise reduction to "low" instead of "standard". Why Canon defaults to the ridiculously smudged "standard" is anybody's guess.

While I understand that you're trying to review cameras based on the factory defaults, I don't think that's a very realistic usage scenario. Would it be possible to add an addendum to reviews with user contributed "best settings"? That would be a more realistic usage scenario, as us users would have had time to play with our cameras and customize it to produce better images. I don't know anybody who shoots using the factory settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi pgtips, that's the big problem which faces camera reviewers - which settings do you use. I normally get complaints for using JPEGs, which is why I went for RAW here for these higher-end models, but even then you can't please everyone!

But yes, it's a great idea to include tips from owners of the cameras once they've had a chance to try different settings. It would work best in the forum - perhaps we could make the 'official launch' threads for current models sticky, and people could add their tips to them?

PS - as for the 50D's noise reduction, I agree it's too high by default, but even if you lower it, I still think it looks more electronic than the Nikon. It's the rectangular artefacts and chroma effects that are the big problem. Not sure if you saw it, but I did a page showing the different settings in my 50D review here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... tion.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:08 am 

Hi Gordon,

Perhaps the noise comparisons between different cameras could be done with the NR turned completely off? That in addition to the samples of the different NR options that you linked to would provide enough information for most I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:04 am 

Hi Gordon,

Any chance of a head-to-head image quality comparison of the D300 to D300s?

Thanks!

Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi everyone, ahead of my D300s review, I

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon ... oise.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:22 am 

Gordon Laing wrote:
PS - as for the 50D's noise reduction, I agree it's too high by default, but even if you lower it, I still think it looks more electronic than the Nikon. It's the rectangular artefacts and chroma effects that are the big problem. Not sure if you saw it, but I did a page showing the different settings in my 50D review here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... tion.shtml

I agree that the 50D's noise looks digital and that it still looks digital even at the "low" setting. That said, at the "low" setting it just removes chroma noise and leaves luminance noise alone which I think looks and prints much better than the smudged "standard" noise reduction.

Of course we could shoot RAW and use something like DXO ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:26 am 

capital wrote:
Hi Gordon,

Any chance of a head-to-head image quality comparison of the D300 to D300s?

Thanks!

I suppose we'll see that one in the official review? :-) Or is that too late for most of the people here, trying to decide?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

I won't be doing a head to head of the D300 against the D300s in terms of image quality, but I will of course be comparing the feature-set and continuous shooting performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm 

semi- offtopic, seems as though most of the jellyness has been resolved- definitely gonna be a Christmas or Birthday present to me, from me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUggZ46SYCw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:15 am 

That's a pretty cool video, and the camera was underwater a couple of times!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:16 am 

Robert Bösch is definitely using a beefy tripod with a good video head. For the handheld scenes he is trying to avoid the jello with fast panning/zooming. That's why there is (almost) no shake. Same goes for Ami Vitale's video, although I think all her scenes were taken with a tripod since they are quite static.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

There is s till jsome jello for handheld work, especially if you shake a bit like me and attempt a zoom. Don't forget I have a sample you can download at

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon ... oise.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:39 am 

Ernie wrote:
Robert Bösch is definitely using a beefy tripod with a good video head. For the handheld scenes he is trying to avoid the jello with fast panning/zooming. That's why there is (almost) no shake. Same goes for Ami Vitale's video, although I think all her scenes were taken with a tripod since they are quite static.

theres gonna be some jello. but if you know exactly what to look for and what creates the most jello effect, you'll see what I mean.

I mean, hell- look at the bike scenes. On a d90 it would look awful for those guys on mtbs, even mounted on a bike-- barely any jello.

you cant expect the cmos rolling shutter to be perfect, but it's a massive improvement. now if only there were some manual controls. but then again... you cant have everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:58 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I've just published my full review of the D300s which also includes an HD video tour!

(note anyone accessing this right now will see a placeholder for the HD video with the Sony A230 / A330 / A380 video while Youtube processes the new file. In the meantime, Vimeo has completed its version though, so click on the low bandwidth page to watch it if you can't wait!)

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D300s/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:44 pm 

As always a great review. Thanks Gordon!
There is a typo on the design page flash section. It should be D300s flash instead of D700 flash ;)

Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi everyone, I've just published my full review of the D300s which also includes an HD video tour!

(note anyone accessing this right now will see a placeholder for the HD video with the Sony A230 / A330 / A380 video while Youtube processes the new file. In the meantime, Vimeo has completed its version though, so click on the low bandwidth page to watch it if you can't wait!)

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D300s/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:50 pm 

Thinking of uping my budget and getting one of these, but want to read the Canon 7D review first

So at the moment its between a Canon 7D or the Nikon D300s

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next