Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:09 am 

Hi folks,

There are three cracking videos about street photography over at Vimeo. Not only do we see a number of street photographers in action but there are also many wonderful stills interspersed in the video. While at times the narrative sounds like an advertorial for rangefinder cameras the ultimate irony that the video showing how the unobtrusiveness of a rangefinder works in that context was actually shot on an EOS 5D MkII won't be lost on the CameraLabs community. ;) Here are the links:

Enjoy. 8)

Bob.

P.S. If you watch the credits at the end of the last video there's a full list of all the kit used during filming.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:35 am 
Very nice to discover the other side of the camera.
Thanks Bob

Spiritual exercise (great reflexion)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:46 pm 

Very interesting to watch. I agree with a lot of his opinions, though I get the feeling he is trying to sell Leica a lot... I must admit watching it does make me want to buy one, as I have a street project coming up I need to work on which would be great with M9. However, no matter how much I think about the uses of such a camera, I just cannot justify the price (nor afford it)..

Perhaps I will buy one extra lottery ticket this Friday:)

Thanks for posting the links.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:28 pm 

I'm in a similar situation regarding justifying the price, actually more so since it would just be used to indulge a hobby. There are cheaper options if you are happy to shoot film. The Voigtländer/BESSA rangefinders are much more affordable but there's still a nagging suspicion that a good used Leica film M camera might be the better long term investment and a better way to begin a collection of Leica glass.

But hey, it was nice to see the cameras in action and it's nice to dream. Maybe I ought to buy two lottery tickets a year instead of my usual one. :roll:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:47 am 

The lottery numbers I chose say no to this camera....I have decided definitely not even to consider this any more, as the price is just too high. If the price was with a kit lens, then perhaps it would be a go, but considering you need spend another xk to get a good lens, no chance.

Your suggestion to use a film camera may be the way to go, plus if I started to shoot film, I would take more care setting up a shot as now I just set things to what I think is right and fire away, making adjustments if needed. not able to do that with a film...

Next 2 items on the shopping list are the 7D and the TS-E 17mm. In that order unfortunately as I need the second body for a wedding....

Last edited by DP-PARIS on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:06 am 
Nice videos, very inspiring, and I'll be out shooting "street" tomorrow.

There are some things that strike me as a contradiction though, especially when he effectively said that digital altering of files don't belong in street photography. I don't believe in these canvas statements, and I don't think anyone should feel bad because they like the process of being creative with a digital tool such as photoshop. If that adds to your experience and makes you want to go out and shoot more, then it can't be a bad thing.

Funny enough, 90% of the shots are B&W film ... which is by nature, unnatural and in fact, completely impossible to achieve in real life. Shallow depth of field? Not achievable with the human eye in the way an 85mm f1.4 can achieve it. These are all very basic forms of photo manipulation, and some fail to see that.

I just think they need to descend from the clouds and stop thinking of themselves as having superior skills compared to everyone else just because they don't particularly like digital manipulation, i.e. not because you don't like it in your work, doesn't mean someone else cant use it in theirs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:54 am 

Thanks Bob! Very inspiring

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:53 pm 
Felt inspired, went out to shoot early this morning at the local market. Not really "street" shooting, more like "market" shooting :D .

I chose to go B&W because I really like it for my personal work. Most of the picks where shot specifically with BW conversion in mind, in fact I set my camera LCD to show a BW preview. I also favoured high contrast, shadowy areas (for no particular reason other than I like it!), and the files below show this accordingly.

These are my favourite picks from this morning, and I actually learned something about how "grain" and "contrast" really help to bring a BW picture to life, especially if you're planning on printing.

All in all, was a good exercise and certainly worth doing again! Maybe this evening?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:46 pm 
Thanks for sharing. It's very nice to see more interesting things in street photography

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:49 pm 

No 3 I like. What is number 5?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:54 pm 
No. 5 is crabs, wrapped in coconut leaves to restrain them. In retrospect, I think maybe I should have taken a different angle, or go easy on the BW conversion and then maybe the crabs being bound in leaves would have looked more obvious...Well, live and learn, and there are always crabs in the market, so not too hard to retry until I get it right (which is probably the point of the whole exercise)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:18 pm 

I find I keep checking the price for the M9 and trying to think of which lens I would buy if I were to buy only 1. not sure how much longer I can hold out:)

I think it would be the 50/1.4 ASPH...... Still a dream away for now though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:14 pm 
Can someone tell me what cameras are used in the first video.
________
NATIVE AMERICAN SPIRITUALITY ADVICE

Last edited by goldengloves on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:49 pm 
Just watched the first video. I find it funny that this guy goes on and on about using a range finder, when he is shooting in a city that is packed, with people. I mean how difficult can it be to go unnoticed like that lol. I find I get noticed a LOT more here in Greece, than I do when I am in London in the UK. I aggree that a rangefinder is more inconspicuous, but either way, whether it's a D80 with a 80mm prime, or a rangefinder, I don't think it makes much difference to what shots you can get away with.

As far as film goes, yeah, if I had money and time to burn, then I would definitely be shooting film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:04 am 
Amazing videos! Thank you Bob for sharing.
I adore street photography. My choices for street are: for best quality,I can take the D80,without the grip or for less size & no noise,my Lumix compact. The major drawback in this is,the quality of a compact digital camera is nowhere near a rangefinder's. (film or digital) The 2nd major drawback is the AF speed.

I guess a lot of photographers nowadays must settle with a DSLR,because rangedinders,film or digital,are very expensive,even for people with jobs.