Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:16 am 
Hi everybody,

I am planning to buy a 50mm alpha mount lens with very good/excellent sharpness. I stumbled up in two choices whether Sony 50mm f/1.4 or Sony DT 50mm f/1.8. I have A300, so both of them would serve me equally well. The former is $200 more than the later. I am not gonna buy FF for at least for next 2-3 years. My question is does Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 perform as good as Sony 50mm f/1.4. My first preference is sharpness and IQ. I can spend $200 more if Sony 50mm f/1.4 outperforms Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 in terms of IQ. Do u guys have any idea about this? I am really confused...I looked at review and they says Sony 50mm f/1.8 is a very good lens but when i saw images in flickr from both groups, it seems to me that 50mm f/1.4 produces much sharper images than f/1.8. I would appreciate any help/suggestion regarding this issue.
thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:40 am 
smishere wrote:
Hi everybody,

I am planning to buy a 50mm alpha mount lens with very good/excellent sharpness. I stumbled up in two choices whether Sony 50mm f/1.4 or Sony DT 50mm f/1.8. I have A300, so both of them would serve me equally well. The former is $200 more than the later. I am not gonna buy FF for at least for next 2-3 years. My question is does Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 perform as good as Sony 50mm f/1.4. My first preference is sharpness and IQ. I can spend $200 more if Sony 50mm f/1.4 outperforms Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 in terms of IQ. Do u guys have any idea about this? I am really confused...I looked at review and they says Sony 50mm f/1.8 is a very good lens but when i saw images in flickr from both groups, it seems to me that 50mm f/1.4 produces much sharper images than f/1.8. I would appreciate any help/suggestion regarding this issue.
thanks!

Both are very sharp, stopped down, but the 1.4 gets sharper, sooner. So, at f/2 will look much sharper on the 1.4 than the 1.8. On an APS camera you can't go wrong either way, but I would go for the 1.4.

The 1.8 also has an SAM motor built in, so its not screw-drive AF. They will both be very zippy fast in AF speed, but the 1.8 would be quieter. Sony may release an SAM updated 1.4, I am not sure when to expect something like that though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:04 pm 
Also, since you plan on going full frame in the future, I'd just get it now. Personally, I've wasted some cash on DT lenses, and since I hope to go full frame soon, I feel like I should have bought the FF lenses in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:37 pm 

Yep, go for the f/1.4. It's more expensive for a reason. Build quality is significantly better.

Can you use normal fonts next time, please?

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:35 pm 
Thank you all. I am more inclined to f/1.4 because of its quality may be. I saw photographs from both of them in Flickr...here are the links

For 50mm f/1.4
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sal50f14/

For 50mm f/1.8
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sal50f18/

If I look at them , it is clear that f/1.4 is way sharper than f/1.8. I need your opinion regarding this. It may be the photographer, still they look better than taken from f/1.8. Bjorn, sorry about the font size, I will remember your advice in future post.
thank u all!!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:46 pm 

I know the 50mm f/1.4 is a very sharp lens, having used it myself for quite some months now. And it's great value too, well worth its pricetag.
I played around with the 50mm f/1.8 in a store not too long ago, and it felt very cheap and plasticky. Then again, it is cheap. And the glass is good, which is what matters. But, it's at DT lens, so if you buy it now, it might be useless in a couple of years...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:54 pm 
Yes! That is true. Do you think sony uses same glass for both of them? I dont think so, i mean of them are same quality lens in terms of glass....because look at the price tag. It cant cost cost $200 extra just for a metal mount and build quality, there has to be something extra in glass. right? :shock: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:51 pm 

And the 50mm f/1.4 is full frame compatible, which means higher pricetag and other glass. Glass quality is most likely different too.

For some direct comparisons, if you haven't seen them already, scroll down to Bonus section! on this website:
http://kurtmunger.com/sony_dt_50mm_f_1_8_samid147.html

That should make it more than clear the 50mm f/1.4 is the one to go for.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:27 pm 

At the end of the day, it's down to what you can afford. And it goes without saying that "You get what you pay for"

If you want superb image quality, then go for the f/1.4. If you want to save the $200 towards another top end lens because you're not too bothered on the difference, then go for the f/1.8.

I'm personally going for the f/1.8, purely because it's the lens I want. I could afford the f/1.4 but in my opinion, I don't think it'd make that much difference to me. I can afford the cheaper easily, and there's always Photoshop to make the images sharper. I also have no desire to go Full Frame, so if I bought the f/1.8 I wont be losing out.

I'm going to buy the 50mm f1.8 in the next couple of weeks and hopefully put it through it's paces to make sure I know how to use it! Be sure that I'll post the results here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:48 pm 
Thanks Bjorn and PhilDiggle. Yes, u guys are right. I believe I would get what I pay for. Thats why f/1.4 is much superior than f/1.8. PhilDiggle, I will be waiting for your images from f/1.8, plz do not forget to post them here when you get the lens. At this point, my next big target is either Sony 70-300mm G or sony 70-400mm SSM G and both of them are out of my reach. so, I am not dreaming about them :P . I have already two nonsense kit lenses, got with the camera, which I do not use. I don't want to buy FF for at least next 2-3 years, I want its price to be down around $1000 or so, so that I can afford them very easily, it depends, I might also go for a very good APS-C in that price range if the FF is not that competitive, But no new DSLR until for next three years. First I decided to buy f/1.8 but after looking at their photographs I personally believe f/1.4 got something better inside than its younger sibling(f/1.8). Image quality is important for me. If f/1.8 gives me same IQ as my Sony DT 16-105mm provides, then the whole purpose of buying this lens would be meaningless and the $149 would be in waste. Sony DT 16-105mm gives me very good IQ, and I am very happy with this Lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:39 pm 
Two must see videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPXoHSw14c&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASqVTbPr2Zo&fmt=18

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:09 am 
Quote:
then the whole purpose of buying this lens would be meaningless and the $149 would be in waste

No, even if it does give the same IQ, it is still over 3 stops faster than the 16-105 @ 50mm, it is also very very small, much more pleasant to carry around and shoot with (being smaller and lighter). Even just those would make it worth the money and set it apart from your 16-105, but, at low apertures particularly you should expect even the 1.8 to outperform your 16-105, its a prime, and it will be sharper than your zoom.

I'd look also at the 1.7, which is FX compatible, super sharp, super fast AF. Its also a great choice - I would have purchased the 1.4, but the 1.7 has been everything I need in a 50. Some day when I just feel like throwing an extra few hundred for a half stop, I may. Some people are neurotic and or nervous about buying used lens though, if you know what you're doing I wouldn't worry about getting used lens. KEH.com has some of them in stock at ~ $120

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:48 pm 

Right then, let the fun begin :D :D :D

Just been and bought my 1.8 lens as my student loan went in today (yup, spent it straight away lol)

Here are two shots that I've quickly taken with it just to see. Only had it on the camera 2 mins and getting shots like these... Must say, I'm impressed....

And testing the DOF...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:40 pm 

Nice one Phil! Enjoy your 50 mil!

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:56 pm 

Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
Nice one Phil! Enjoy your 50 mil!

- Bjorn -

I'm dying to go out and use it properly, but alas the weathers permitting a bit and I'm a bit stuck on ideas on places to go. Hopefully something will come up soon ;)