Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: ND Filters
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:32 pm 
I was going to get a B+W ND Filter which is supposedly 6 f stops and the one for flowing water and around £60 but discovered one that is 10 stops and £80 but is supposedly for bright light like furnaces and things. I found that this photo was taken using the 10 stop filter (from comments well down the list somewhere) http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevwed/37 ... 092127222/ and I'd quite like to have that as well.

So what I'm wondering is, if I buy the £80 one can it do the job of the £60 too - by altering camera settings perhaps? or would I have to buy both to do the two jobs?

I have cheap filters which seem to be hopeless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:04 am 
I've said this elsewhere, but don't buy screw-in filters because you'll then have to buy a different filter for each lens you have that has a different filter thread. A significantly cheaper option would be to buy into the Cokin P series filters. What you need is a filter holder, a lens adapter (one for each filter thread size you use) and then you can spend money on the filters themselves which cost about £10 a pop.

All in all, I've spent about £60 and I have a set of ND and graduated ND filters that work on all my lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:47 am 
Hmm, now I'm confused because I saw a filter tutorial thing on here that says you need the circular type because "they are designed to not confuse modern auto-focus and metering systems so that's the type you'll need for your DSLR" :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:24 am 
They're talking about "circular polarizers" and the circular bit has to do with the way the filter works and not the shape of the filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:43 am 
Ah okay. I've been looking at the Cokin ones and they are £11.65 compared to the £80 B+W make but are they as good, could you tell the difference between the same photo taken with both?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:20 am 
They're pretty good, and you'd be very hard pressed to tell them apart just by looking at the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:57 am 
Ok thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:31 am 
is the Cokin P series what I'd need for my 18-105mm lens? (it is internal focus)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:28 pm 
P series works with most (all?) lenses. Make sure you get the correct sized lens adapter, which is 67mm for your Nikon 18-105mm.

Post subject: ND Filters
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:11 am 
On the subject of the ND grad screw in/ p series comparison- I have used both types of filters on the front of my wide angle lense and have had far greater results with the screw in filters. I know that the p seris allows you to easily adapt for different lense diameters but I only use one lense diameter anyway. The 10 stop BW filter has given me fantastic results ( in my opinion) and was worth the hefty £79 paid.
I took the photograph which was mentioned earlier in the thread and this was a long exposure in bright daylight with good results. The only downside with such a strong ND filter is that you have to do all your composition, metering and focusing before the filter goes on the lense which can be time consuming. I have used the p series ND grads and when you get further up the stop range ( 6-10) because the filters are so dark the light bleeds into the frame from the open edges of the filter system. I quite often use the 10 stop during the day with an ND 4 grad p series + holder on the front of the ND 10
Go for the scrtew ins!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:55 pm 

Hello trevwed, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
Quite familiar with the ND grads you are. But using 10 stop (!) filters :shock: Never heard of those. What are you achieving with this? Do you have any more examples of its use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:52 pm 

A colleague also has a 10 stop. Hard to even see through it. This is for when you really want a long exposure in bright light e.g. to make people "disappear" from a busy street.

Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:01 pm 
I also want to buy an ND filter but not really sure where to start.

Ideally I'd like to use on on my Canon 50mm 1.8 and Canon 10-22mm to help me blur pedestrian movement in daylight but to keep the surroundings nicely exposed.

Any suggestions?

Also, if I wanted to use the same lenses but to blur transport movement, what would I need then?