Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:07 pm 
I've got the f/1.4, simply because it was what was going at the time (ta Defiance :wink:), although it is from reveiws that i've read the best of the bunch, i can clarify, i've taken some brilliant shots with it :D.

Olly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:43 am 
I have the 1.8 but i also picked up a Canon f2.5 50mm Macro lens, and since obtaining that it is also my preferred portrait lens, hardly ever use the 1.8 now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:59 am 

I bought the 1.2L due to the low-light performance. Mainly so I can use it indoors without having to use a flash at weddings etc, avoiding the rabbit caught in headlights look. The build quality is a bonus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:36 pm 
I had a 1.8 for many years (10+) with my EOS 5 one day I scratched the rear glass, so I went fo the 1.4...what a difference in low light situation and I did appreciate the smoothiness in operation.
Not a big difference in IQ for the price though.

I dropped it from 20 cm high, attached to my camera on a carpet (that are the only two times something like this happen to me) and it will cost me more than the price of a new 1.8 te be repaired...I will do it because I think it is a real nice piece of glass, but don't talk to me about buid quality and quality/price betwen the 1.4 and 1.8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:40 pm 
did not know about the f1.2L.. but i went for the 1.8 one because it's cheap.. although, i bought it for 150 bucks. ):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:32 pm 

I borrowed the 1.8 from a friend for a couple of months before deciding on the 1.4. I found the auto-focus too slow on the 1.8 and I didn't find it as sharp as I had hoped at 1.8, so I chose to go for the 1.4. The thing is that I then bought the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro and I have used that as my main prime since, as the USM is better than in the 1.4. Now the 1.4 has gone to my dad who uses it with his film SLR. He has nothing but praise for it so far, which counts in my book as he's an old enthusiast. Now, for really low light, I use my EF-S 10-22mm as I can get sharp photos of static subjects at shutterspeeds of 1/8th and 1/6th of a second because of the short focal length and steady hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:28 pm 
everybody complains about the build quality of the 1.8, but for gods sake its just a lens dont drop it , hit it and its just fine.
Also manual focusing works well on mine, ive read reviews that complain that is is impossible for some reason.
however since you are considering the L lens too i assume you can afford the 1.4. in that case go for the 1.4.
for my budget the 1.8 is just fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:24 pm 
i just brought the 1.8 and its the first lense iv brought stepping up from the kit lense its so much better.

next im looking to get the canon 55-250 then i think thats all id need for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:59 pm 
I originally had the 50mm 1.8, which was fine, but I found myself using it quite a lot with my FF 5D that I began to worry about the loud buzzing sounds from the focusing motor. I ended up selling to a friend who was looking for a cheap 50mm and bought the 1.4 model. Build quality is much better, and the USM is really fast and quiet.

Financials are the only reason I won't be going 1.2 or I would ;)

Post subject: 50mm f1.4
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:29 am 
after reading loads of reviews i chose to get the f1.4 lense. budget being one reason not to get the f1.2 the other reason i dont need it for what im trying to do. reports of the poor build quality of the f1.8 didnt convince me it was the right lense for me. the short time that ive had the lense (3 days) and the shots that ive tested i am pleased so far with the results. after the weekend and daylight shots ill know more of the lenses abilitys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:36 pm 

Hello johnnyrandom, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules.
----
Have fun with your new lens and don't forget to share some insights and photos in the appropriate section of this forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:02 pm 
I've just bought the 50mm F1.2L and can soundly say it's an awesome lens. Strangely, I feel compelled to post some 'facts' given all the negative press. Just to clear it up, I'm not a pixel peeper but did run a few tests in store before buying, purely to avoid getting a dud. I decided to go for the L model over the F1.4 because I wanted something that will last. All the F1.4 users I know say that although the lens is tack sharp, it's not robust at all. In terms of my style, I love 50mm, so for me the investment was worth it

First of all the negatives:
    Not especially especially sharp from 1.2-1.8 (but gets a lot better in
    natural light vs indoor light). More importantly I would use these settings

Visible purple fringing at above apertures - boo!

I have tried to recreate the focus shift issue and was only able to get a rare few that were maybe slightly out by 1mm or so (incidently this was on distances less than about 2.5ft and F1.6-F4) - no worse or better than my 24-105mm F4 so I'm more than happy as the latter is a cracking lens. Autofocus-wise, this lens is up there (of the ones I have tried to date...)

Len's element moves up and down the barrel and is naked to dust and moisture - need filter!
Now the good:
    Sharp at F2 and tack sharp by F2.8

Sharper than the 24-105mm at F/4 and nothing between them by F/5.6

On my 5D2, focusing is AT LEAST as fast as the 24-105mm and never hunts like my 24-105mm does in low contrast/light.

The colours seem fuller and punchier than my 24-105mm

Bokeh is beautiful

Build, size and feel is awesome

I am a bit of consumer from hell and usually take equipment back to the store (I've had bad backfocusing issues with Tamron and Sigma lens). None of that this time.

What a nice surprise this lens has turned out to be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:38 pm 

Hello 3rdEYE, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules.
----
Have fun with your new acquisition!
And thank you for your very good report on your decision. Hope you can show us some of the things you can do with this lens in the respective forum section(s)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:32 pm 
Cheers Thomas.

I've now had a chance to shoot loads with the lens, and can say that the focus shift issue does OCCASIONALLY rear it's ugly head from about f1.8-f4 at distances of about under 2.5-3ft. But not a major issue at all in real world use (unless of course you like taking pictures of rulers at an angle!)

Focus is a touch slower and not as decisive as the 24-105mm on prolonged use, but almost there.

Apart from that, still extremely happy with the lens (I've never encountered a lens that's perfect!)

Hopefully look to post some shots soon in the lens section!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:13 am 
I went for the 1.8 since it was so cheap. Since then Ive spent 10 times the ammount of that one on other lenses though AND I hate the autofocus on the 1.8 so I'm kinda regretting it. Not being very pro I dont have any objections to the imagequality of the 1.8 though. It's the flimsy feel and annoyingly slow and loud AF that disturbs me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next