Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:35 am 
I recently have been trying to find the right bag for me, and there are hundreds to choose from :roll: I am sure if you are anything like me you would probably have problems deciding on what to buy when looking for a new camera bag.

So why don't you tell us what bag you've got, are you happy with it and would you recommend it?

I'll start off with mine, i have a Lowepro Fastpack 350, which is a great backpack, and very comfortable to wear, although unfortunately i have realised i am just not a backpack person, so i'll sell it soon. Although it's a great bag for it does. I also have a Rezo 160AW which is great for the £15 i paid for it, and fine for just a camera and a single lens. Although i am not sure weather my 40D is going to fit in there with my new grip :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:38 am 

I have the Lowepro TLZ 2 (top loader bag, barely fits D90+70-200), so I don take that anymore unless I only take one lens. My current bag is a Samsonite Laptop shield 2 backpack, but itś more my main collega bag. It works well though, I can carry my lenses, flash and a laptop in one bag. Still, there are better (dedicated) camera bags, like the Crumpler pajama (or something along those lines). Someone I met on a holiday demo'd the bag to me and I was impressed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:52 am 

Lowepro Rezo 160 AW - My small shoulder bag enough for a body and up to 3 *small* lenses. Sometimes I wish it was a little bit bigger. I usually use this if I'm not taking a physically long lens.

Kata DR 461 - A small backpack style long enough to hold the 100-400L mounted on body with ease. Not very deep though so you wont be leaving a grip on the body. I use this if I'm going away for a long day and want to carry a moderate amount.

Lowepro Rezo 190 AW - My bigger shoulder bag. Got it for those times when the '160 wasn't enough. Although there is more space for lenses, it doesn't really add length so long tele lenses are still out. Also with the increased space, you can and will fill it up where it gets rather heavy. I rarely use this day-to-day and if so, it is more for bulk transportation than normal use.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:03 am 

billingham 445 in black ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:06 am 
Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home for when I want to carry all my gear and a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 100AW for when I go slightly lighter. Very pleased with both but I am thinking of getting a backpack as the shoulder bags get in the way when I'm more active.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:21 pm 
Domke satchel F-802 olive:
Use it when I carry small dslr with light, short lenses. I like it because it is low profile look and the material. Does not like it because the clip make some noise when walking.

Think Tank Photo Urban Disguise 35
At a glance it looks boxy and small, This bag can hold a lot of gears. What I like is it could hold dSLR with grip + 70-200mm f/2.8 down. It has notebook compartment to store 10-12 inch notebook/netbook. It can convert to backpack also with Think Tank shoulder harness.

Lowepro NatureTrekker AW II
This huge bag can hold almost everything (2 dslrs, 6 lenses, 2 stobes, tripod, accessories). It has low profile look (people will think that it is a regular hiking bag). Included in the package is a day backpack for clothing and other stuff which is removable and could be use by itself. Good for transporting your gear and adjustable to fit in your body like glove. What I don't like is the waist belt and shoulder harness are not removable for easy storage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:04 pm 

I have two bags, and since adding the Zeiss 24-70mm to my signature I only really use one of them:
  • Lowepro CompuTrekker AW Pretty big, ugly, comfortable to wear and ideal for the kind of gear I use. It can easily hold two bodies and a couple of large lenses. In fact, I saw a YouTube video of someone carrying two pro bodies, a 300mm f/2.8, 70-200mm, 24-70mm, a 16-35mm in the main compartment, and then a whole lot more in the front. Let me see.... ah, found it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCDFjbygudg
    I really like the bag, though, as you also mentioned, having a backpack is not always the most efficient. So, I got this for Christmas:
  • Lowerpro Stealth Reporter D300 A shoulder bag, very quick and easy to use, plenty of space for a good set of gear. However, it's not designed to carry mine. Stuffing the Zeiss 24-70mm and 70-200mm in there, together with a body + grip, 50mm and a rocket blower, it all fits, but it's just WAY too heavy. Sore shoulder after just half an hour and it can't be good for the bag itself. I really like it, and I won't sell it, but for my current line-up, it's just not the right bag. I'll use it when I leave the 70-200mm home (not too often).
The thing is, both bags have pros and cons, and the cons of both bags is what makes me want to buy a third bag. The best option at the moment, from the ones I've looked at, is the Lowepro Flipside 300. Not as big as I might want, but it's a backpack, so comfortable, and has a zipper at the back. More secure, and it means you can just flip the bag off your shoulders and open it on the move. Here's a video:
http://vidego.productvideocast.com/play ... p=yhauf73w
I'll try it when I get my Zeiss 85mm f/1.4, see whether it can carry all my gear comfortably, and if so, I'll get it.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:20 pm 
Roots Digital Video Bag D4
Was an impulse buy and purchased it before my first DSLR; back when I had only my digital camcorder. It was the only bag I had when I bought my D60, and I found it quite quickly that it could easily accommodate the camera and a lens up to the Nikkor 18-200 w/ hood detached. Quite useful, due to it's very small size.

Tamrac Express 6 Camera Bag
The second bag I purchased. This time with DSLR in mind. Turned out to be a total dud. It claims to be able to support a body + 2 or 3 small lenses and a flash, but IMO it doesn't look that way. Don't use it very often anymore.

Think Tank Photo Streetwalker Pro
Probably the only 'real' camera bag in my arsenal and the one I use the most often now. Can accommodate up to a 300mm f/2.8 + body (or a 70-200 f/2.8 + a few other lenses). Comes with it's own raincover and plenty of auxiliary slots for cards, cables, chargers, etc. Overall, a very useful bag - one that I'd highly recommend) and well worth the money spent. Only problem, is that it's a tad bit bulky...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:43 pm 
TENBA MESSENGER BAG
nice and discreet.
easier to work with than lowerpro slingbags.
laptop compartment
supposedly only fits 1 dslr, 2 lenses, and 1 flash. i fit 2 dslrs, 3 lenses, and added a pouch for a flash.
doesn't induce sweat on hot days.
an insane amount of pockets.
very very happy with it.

for the questionable weather days...

lowerpro MINITREKKER AW
room for both my slr's
ALL my lenses and flashes
tripod storage
rain cover
happy with it, but after i sold my Sigma 170-500 I found it to be too bulky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:46 pm 
Lowepro Rezo 20 - perfectly sized for the D300 and the Tokina 11-16 and a few CF cards in the front pocket. A take-everywhere combo.

For hauling extra equipment, when I feel I need it, I use a beat up old brandless leather camera bag.

I prefer not to pack everything in one bag - most of the time all I want and need is the camera with one lens attached. But that's just me.

..got spoiled by the D40, it's light weight and size...lol

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:48 pm 
I got only one lens so i got a cheap bag of choice

http://tamrac.com/3345.htm

a Tamrac 3345 :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Great thread Ed! I'm gonna move it to the bag section and make it sticky...

Don't forget we also have a similar thread about which tripod you bought in the tripod section...!

Gordon

PS - oh yes! My bag - well, I generally use an older Crumpler McBain's Baby XL (see this article) when i'm carring a handful of cameras, but for more or bigger models, I use an equally old Jansport rucksack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:33 pm 

Not your typical carry around in public bag persay but for the places my camera gear and I go...can't beat it.

Pelican 1550
Lockable
Crushproof
Waterproof (floats)
Dustproof
Baggage handler proof
Pressure purge valve for altitude

Lots of room left for another cam and some lenses yet.
kpr <<<needs more gear :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:45 am 
Lowepro Classified AW 160. This is a fairly discrete looking bag, and has room to fit a 70-200mm lens mounted on a camera with a battery grip (though the lens hood has to be reversed) plus a few more lenses and accessories.

If I wanted to pack it to the brim, I can stow away a 50D + 70-200mm lens + battery grip, a 24-70mm lens, a 10-20mm lens, a flash gun + Canon, ST-E2, and some Cokin P series ND filters + mounting bracket. I can forget about quickly accessing them though ;). On the other hand, if I wanted quick access I could pack 2 lenses and a flash gun and I can quickly retrieve my gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:42 pm 
Lowepro Flipside 200!
I love how the zipper is to my back. That way I know nobody is messing with my gear. I think its a great size for a body and 1 or 2 lenses.

Now that my kit is growing I'm going to be in the market for a new bag soon. I'm thinking of getting a Think Tank as I hear they are great bags. I might wait till i get a second body though. currently my flipside 200 is a bit cramped with my gear 70-200 in it but it works.