Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:27 pm 
I'm going for a 50mm 1.8D

cheap and fast lens :)

although I'd like to know if it can be sharp at f/22 probably :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:05 am 
forgot to add the reason.

I got my 50mm 1.8D because it was available really cheap.

i got it as a set, it came with an N6006 and a tamron 28-200mm lens.

paid about 35$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:09 am 
I got my 50mm 1.8f after reading a number of reviews of it. It was the first prime I bought to go with myD40 but now use it mostly on my D80 or D300 so it will auto-focus. Build quality was not a consideration as I am very careful with my gear and even with the light construction of this lens it should last me ok. I was not willing to pay the extra cash for one more stop of light and a better build quality with the 1.4f. The extra cash saved went towards my 85mm 1.8f which I now use for portraits more than any other lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:56 pm 
Got the Nikon 50mm f1.8. I will upgrade to the f1.4 at some point (the D version as opposed to the G version). Why? I want the extra stop. Yes, I can shoot at higher ISO but perhaps there are occasions when I don't want to. I use my 50mm quite a lot and so it seems like a worthwhile investment for me. The f1.4 can be picked up pretty cheap second hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:05 am 
Bought my first prime lens yesterday. A new 50mm f/1.8D to expand my current lenses of the 18-55mm kit lens and Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR.

Due to me having a D60, I am obviously having to learn the discipline of manual focusing, something which I (ashamedly?) have done very little of with my other 2 AF-S lenses.

So far getting pretty average results as I learn to manual focus - I am hoping with practice I will get better at this. Still trying to get that 'tack sharp' image...i'm sure it will come!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:40 pm 

Hello Ben, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
I wish you good luck with your new lens. What were the primary reason to get this 50/1.8 for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:34 pm 
Thanks Thomas. :D

My main reason for getting a 50 1.8 was that I wanted an inexpensive lens that I could use as an all-rounder, but capable of far higher quality photographs than my 18-55 kit lens. Its low-light capabilities should also help me out, as well.

Sorry I can't give a more specific purpose. I'm still very much an amateur photographer of 2 years and am trying new things as much as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:59 pm 
Buzzsaw wrote:
Bought my first prime lens yesterday. A new 50mm f/1.8D to expand my current lenses of the 18-55mm kit lens and Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR.

Due to me having a D60, I am obviously having to learn the discipline of manual focusing, something which I (ashamedly?) have done very little of with my other 2 AF-S lenses.

So far getting pretty average results as I learn to manual focus - I am hoping with practice I will get better at this. Still trying to get that 'tack sharp' image...i'm sure it will come!

Don't forget to use the focus indicator (green dot) in your viewfinder to confirm focus, when using manual focus on your 50mm prime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:58 am 

I bought the 1.8 because:

-It's only $100...Cheapest lens in my bag.
-The 1.4 isn't very good at 1.4 so I'd stop it down usually anyway.
-???
-It's only $100!

Now all I need is a D90 so I can AF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:41 am 
The two reaons I bought the 1.8 were:
- cheaper than the 1.4 versions
- I mainly shoot outdoors so the f/1.8 is sufficient

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:29 am 
I got the 1.8 because...

- it was cheap
- I felt the DOF on the 1.4 was too small to be usable - for my style of shooting this holds true
- the 1.8 is sharper wide open than the 1.4

All references to the 1.4 refer to the older AF-D 50 f/1.4 not the newer AF-S G version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:36 am 
I bought 1.8 yesterday. I got lucky and picked up the last one they had.

Reasons:

- it was cheap, only £109 from Jessops

- I read reviews and people say its a great lens for affordable price, 1.4G I think around £299. :( which is more than double price.

- and I'm just a beginner, I think its great lens to try and practice your shots before you know what you want. I dont want to make any hasty jumps to much more expensive lens yet.

- and last but not least, I had a tight budget, I just got D300 and I could only squeeze in 1.8 and a compact flash card. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:19 am 
I purchased the 50mm F/1.8 D Because it was at a price i could afford, and I did research and found that in LAB tests the f/1.8 out performs the 1.4 in some situations...

Post subject: 50mm f1.4G
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:02 am 
I bought the Nikon 50mm f1.4G is because of:

1) It can focus on both my D60 and D90.

2) It has a more natural "bokeh" compared with the 50mm f1.4D due it's curved 9-bladed diaphragm.

3) I think the ED coating on the new lens with help reduce lens vignetting or some thing like that........(Sorry I'm not sure about this one, forgive me for my lack of knowledge)

But there's a downside and that is it's price is expensive compared with the Nikon 50mm f1.4D (RM 1,225) compared with the Nikon 50mm f1.4G( RM 1,860) (I live in Malaysia ). Besides that, I think the focus speed of the 1.4G is slightly more sluggish compared with the 1.4D ( I think I read about this in some of the reviews for the 1.4G,again forgive me if I'm wrong.) :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:01 am 

ED is not a coating, it is a more expensive way of fabricating glass. I think there is a whole article on Nikon's website. Nikon's first ED incorporated lens

Also you are right that people say the AF is slower on the 50/1.4G, but that is because it has a more precise (longer turn) to focus. The narrow depth of field at 1.4 is a matter of mm sometimes for getting the focus right, so the lens should be able to correct for small differences. :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next