Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:07 am 
if so, where did you buy yours from and how satisfied are you with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:28 am 
I have an M42 to 4/3 adapter. Cheap thing, off of eBay.

Pro:
Cheap [~10 bucks from china]
Works
Solid hunk of metal, can't really go wrong with that
smooth? no metal splinters I mean

Cons:
If the lens doenst have some way to manually set stop the aperture down when off the camera [like M-A switch] then im stuck wide open.

I have 2 M42 lenses, a 55mm F1.4 Japanese Ricoh [badged Sears] which has such a switch, and a Soviet Zenit 58mm F2 which does not.
Thing is, If im using the Zenit Im not going to stop it down anyway, because its probably for a portrait. for a fast prime, the 55mm 1.4 is too narrow, and I now have a Sigma 30mm 1.4 which is far more convenient and has autofocus. I like the optical quality of the Zenit as well.

I think the default adapter for 4/3 users is the OM, however I think this is due to brand loyalty more than actually practicality. Theres a very good selection of M42 lenses and lenses are still being made for it.