Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:21 pm 
I get confused by when we need to support camera and when we need to support lens on tripod. For example, I have a 70-300 that's about 600g and an XSi. I do not have a mount for my lens but in the confusion of what would happen if the lens is too heavy, I almost never put it on the camera on the tripod. Kit lens on camera is no problem as its very light.

Is there a rule of thumb?

Note, I am newbie to DSLR world...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:20 am 
Hi ps_n_dslr,

your tripod should be rated to carry a certain maximum weight, which is perhaps the fist thing worth checking. Just as a starting point anyway, because it will tell you if it's reasonable to put that combination on the tripod to begin with.

However, it's unlikely that any tripod will not support the combo you have. The Xsi is pretty lightweight in and of itself.

As a rule of thumb - if it feel unsafe to lift the camera and lens by the body - i.e. if it feel too front-heavy to seem safe and you have a concern that there would be too much pressure on the lens-mount of the body, then you should mount it by the lens.

I've not personally checked the manual for my Nikon D40, but I suspect that it does have some guidelines for how heavy a lens one should mount and support by the camera alone. I go by feel.

The XS - as well as the D40 - are entry-level cameras and as such, they are probably the least sturdy bodies you can get. You may want to err on the safe side.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:42 pm 
I appreciate the quick response. I do not have the manual for the two tripods that I have. One is significantly sturdy and heavy the other is fairly light but I remember around 1.5Kg. My only worry as you mentioned is lens weight affecting camera body without support. I will try looking un xsi manual but I don't recollect seeing it in many times I have opened it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:46 am 
I think it is safe to assume that if the camera couldn't support the weight of the lens on a tripod, the manufacturer would have included a tripod collar for the lens.