Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:35 pm 

patti wrote:

The boats are bigger then those little orange and grey ones, right?

Yes Patti the whale boats are around 45ft on average.
In the summertime they are whale boats in the winter they working lobster boats.
This is the biggest of them....45ft X 25ft able to carry upwards of 50 pasengers.

Med sized one 45ft X 18-20ft...30 passengers max

Smallest 24ft max 6 passengers (obviously not a lobster boat)

With the smaller boats it is a more "personal" experience really.
Wolf was amongst them in a kayak,they won't harm you.
They do do alot more than show their tails just hard to catch when we only stay there for a few minutes at a time.
The orange and grey boats are FAST RESCUE boats at the station (Coast Guard)
We stop by once in a while when on training but having commercial vessels there and us there taking pics while we are "working"...well we don't hang around too long.
If you want a ride in them when you come up you'll have to jump off the bigger boats out with the whales...and the sharks..... :shock:
Don't worry,it won't take me long to get to ya...they go pretty FAST!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:51 pm 

Ha...just got a note about some great Right whale footage from the first of Sept.
Yes Patti,I'd even like a bigger boat for this encounter....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnXWSc9jO3s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:15 am 

whoooohooooooo. I have already talked to two photographers that I know, that do not participate here at the Labs...and they want to go on one of these whale watching deals..but I want to get together a group from the Labs to go..
Am glad that the boat is fast, because I would jump into that whale water, faster then you could click a shutter..what fun! Am loving those boats..yipeee!

love,
p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:28 am 

Chasing the Harlequin ducks today,snuck to the edge of the cliff and looked down and saw this.... :shock:
kpr <<< better not find out Harlequins are in the seals diet :evil:
Harlequins are endangered...seals aren't...they could be if they start eating Harli's :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:42 pm 

patti wrote:
lol! Am loving that seal! Kpr, I hope those northern right whales make an appearance...how neat would that be. Am so intrigued, that one whale, has his tail with little scalloped edges..the others do too, but I never noticed how much, until these photos..thank you so much..this is the coolest. So big, you can get barnecles on ya..whoohooooo. I hope the fog stays away for the next two months!
kpr..I can not swing a trip your way, this year, but I think it would be so cool if a bunch of us from the labs could plan something for next year together...maybe I'll start a thread in the off topic section. Rui, Joe, Serentiy, popo, jaxy, lensbaby neil, start savin' your money. I bet it would be a blast to get a gang together, and go!

The boats are bigger then those little orange and grey ones, right?
love,
p

Just started talking to kpr about the same thing Patti.... no commitments yet but either east coast around kpr or Haidi Gwaii on the west coast is what we have touched on... kpr seems a bit excited bout Haida Gwaii.. but again.... no one is commiting to anything yet. I know its early but the sooner ppl start talking about it the more likely ppl can plan for a certain time... "if" it would be haida Gwaii and "if" 8 ppl would commit to it I know the owner of an eco-tour company up there and he is an amazing photographer as well. He and his partner grew up there and know that area better than anyone there imo. Anyways.. if 8 ppl would go I'm positive he or his partner would personally guide a tour for us geared strickly for photography. I'll post more on this if a thread starts or if there is interest. Due to his mom owning a lodge at the southern end of the south island he is also the only tour company offering to go to the extreme southern edge of the island. The other appealing thing about this trip is that after the tour... if ppl are interested.. when you get back to Prince Rupert onthe mainland... it is from there that they offer day outings into the grizzlybear reserve for some amazing grizzly encounters.

Oh.. the boats used in Haida Gwaii are zodiacs so they are the small boats but like kpr mentioned.. you get a lot closer and they are incredibly safe.... Just try and get over the fact that you are in a small inflatable riding on top of 75 gallons of gas (the whole bottom of the boat is a gas tank) as quick as you can :twisted:

And like kpr mentioned.. they do a lot more than just show their tails.... what ppl are mostly after when shooting whales are..

1) Syncronized twin tail dives.. 2 whales diving deep and showing their tails in the same position at the same time.

2) Just one showing its tail.. the most common shots you see.... they only do this just before their deep dives though.. when they do do this humpbacks tend to stay down between 3 to 12 minutes.. different species stay down for different lengths.. sperm whales have some of the longest dives lasting for up to an hr if I remember right.

3) Lundge feeding.... this is the end result of bubblenetting. What they do is one or 2 whales circle below a school of kaplin or other small fish blowing a circle of bubbles around them acting like a net and forcing the fish into a small concentrated ball. One or more other whales will lundge up through the middle with their mouths wide open breaking the surface of the water taking in all the fish they can. They then reverse roles and others take turn feeding.

4) Breeching... they litterally hurl their entire bodies out of the water similar to a fish jumping but they dont reenter the water head first... they just kinda flop down on the water on their sides. Very cool to see but really hard to catch on film.. as is the lundge feeding.

5) Spyhopping.... they stick just their head out of the water to where their eye is just above the surface... they do this when they are curious and want to check things out. If you see one do this and if it doesnt take off right after its usually a good sign that the whale is curious and it will stick around for a while slowly getting closer to check you out meaning some awesome pics hopefully.

6) Catching a spout of water is also always cool but harder than it may sound.... they spout pretty well as soon as they break the surface and you need to catch it fast as within a sec or 2 the spout has dissipated to the point where it is hard to make out in a pic.

7) Finning.. one of the side fins riding above the water like a sail.... another feeding method.... one or 2 whales will swim in a tight circle on their sides with their mouth open sucking up fish on the surface.... they also do this at times when they play.

If ya do make it out whale watching look for spouts.... 95% of the time its the first thing you will see and/or hear and not the whale itself. Also.. dont get discouraged if it is foggy.... if you think there are whales around stop the boat periodically and sit quiet for 5 to 10 minutes.. this time listen for the blow of the spout....the sound travels a long way when everything is quiet and its pretty easy to zero in on them even in fog.

Another thing to look for when looking for whales are seagulls and other birds feeding on the surface in a large group... this usually means some big is below the smaller fish feeding on them and forcing them to the surface.... depending on where you are this caqn in many cases be whales or dolphins. When you get close and if you can see the small fish jumping out of the water and your not seeing larger fins of larger fish or flippers of seals or sea lions get ready for the whales... odds are good thats whats under the small fish then.

LOL and if you are on a charter look for everything but whales... the guys who run these boats are amazing.... they will see them a long time before you are aware of them unless you know what to look for.... even then it is slim you will site one before them. Many times however they will miss seals, seal lions, sea otters, eagles and other things and if you do see something like this and point it out they will try and get you close for a shot.

KPR... every time I see pics of the ocean and its wildlife I tell myself I need to move there.... man how i miss it.... awesome shots!

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:24 am 

Great shots kpr love that 5th one best.

patti wrote:
whoooohooooooo. I have already talked to two photographers that I know, that do not participate here at the Labs...and they want to go on one of these whale watching deals..but I want to get together a group from the Labs to go..
Am glad that the boat is fast, because I would jump into that whale water, faster then you could click a shutter..what fun! Am loving those boats..yipeee!

Wolfsong wrote:
Just started talking to kpr about the same thing Patti.... no commitments yet but either east coast around kpr or Haidi Gwaii on the west coast is what we have touched on... kpr seems a bit excited bout Haida Gwaii.. but again.... no one is commiting to anything yet. I know its early but the sooner ppl start talking about it the more likely ppl can plan for a certain time... "if" it would be haida Gwaii and "if" 8 ppl would commit to it I know the owner of an eco-tour company up there and he is an amazing photographer as well. He and his partner grew up there and know that area better than anyone there imo. Anyways.. if 8 ppl would go I'm positive he or his partner would personally guide a tour for us geared strickly for photography. I'll post more on this if a thread starts or if there is interest. Due to his mom owning a lodge at the southern end of the south island he is also the only tour company offering to go to the extreme southern edge of the island. The other appealing thing about this trip is that after the tour... if ppl are interested.. when you get back to Prince Rupert onthe mainland... it is from there that they offer day outings into the grizzlybear reserve for some amazing grizzly encounters.

Depending on the time of year and funds. Count me in. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:41 am 

Funds and time of year is gonna be an issue for me as well.
I won a trip to Manitoba with a couple of bear guides...about the best in Canada IMO...and I am soooooo looking fwd to picking their brains it isn't funny :roll:
Tentatively it is looking like very late August early Sept. but it is totally up to them and I kinda have to go when they can take me.
One plan we have...Plan "A" is the G/F and I driving out,her leaving me in Manitoba and continuing on to Calgary and picking me up on the way back.
Plan "B" could be me flying west from Man. and meeting up with her.
Again tho...funds and time.
I don't have to submit a leave schedule til March.
Maybe through the winter a thread should be started to explore this further?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:32 am 

I can go at any time so no biggie for me... something to keep in mind if this is about whales primarily...

KPR can speak more regarding whales on the east coast but it seems the best months for them that way are July and Aug... I know when I was in NFL this year I was 2 weeks early for the whales and I left there around the 1st of July.. even though there were a few around it was hit and miss... Whale arrival on the east coast.. at least in NFL is triggered by the kaplin spawn. When the spawn starts whale activity increases 1000%.

On the west coast they tend to arrive a bit earlier.. the west coast is also starting to see some resident humpbacks which hang around all year... both around telegraph cove on vancouver island as well as around Haida Gwaii. Whale activity is again at its best late june through sept. Orcas are also plentiful on the west coast. Other species of whales do show up as well but like the east coast they tend to be a lot rarer than humpbacks.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:13 am 
I spotted this guy on my way home from work. The sun had dipped low enough that he was in shade and temperature was dropping but that obviously didn’t bother him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:04 am 

awesome shots K.. I envy you guys out there seeing this stuff all the time... I need to find a job on the coast soon :twisted:

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:37 am 

Love the last on KL.
I wonder if it would lend me it's coat for the next while...gonna need it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:04 am 

figured I`d bump this to get it ready for late next week :twisted:

hopefully I get a few days of sun for some good shots! see you all in about 10 days 8)

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:31 am 

10 days are up buster!!
Whats the hold up?

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:19 pm 

Just got home kpr... I was on that whale photography trip I posted about a few months ago. Must say it was excellent and the pro plans on doing it again next year and I'm gonna go again.. we seemed to hit it off quite well.

Anyways.. thinking of starting a new thread for it and then putting picks on it as I get to them... took 4437 total and after an initial lookthrough got about 2850 that I'm going to take a more serious look at while PPing so its gonna be a process :)

Just to wet your enthusiasm... we had several days out of the 5 where we estimated 50+ whales in our area and that was probably low. The guide took a pic of me where if you look closely you can count 7 whales on the horizon and one of the pro where you can count 4 right by the boat.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:55 pm 

Young Harbour seal waiting for the tide on the island...

The Bay has been busy this summer with lots of whales...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next