So, I got the book 1hr ago
, and this is a mini-review (pictures follow later):
What I like
- Very happy with the print quality, colours, paper (I used premium). You haven't enjoyed your photos until you do a 12x12 print I think (and the Sony high ISO noise, looks pretty natural to me when printed big, but thats just my opinion)!
- The Image wrap was done very, very well!
- The entire process was painless, and I love that I can use Indesign as opposed to the fairly limited blurb application.
What I didn't like
- The front cover of my book has too small, but very visible holes (caused by what I assume to be "staples" piercing the cover). The holes are also on the shipping box, but is taped over, so I guess this happened during the packaging for shipping.
- The spine of the book is bent badly at the bottom of the book, and appears to have been crushed during shipping. This might be a shipping issue, so maybe next time more care should be given in using suitable packaging, such as bubble wrap, etc.
- Some of the pages have small spots (very minor complaint, but could affect the archive-ability of the album) of what appear to be glue, which cause the pages to stick together. My concern about this is the long term damage that may occur.
Other than these issues I am very happy, but I would like the book replaced before I hand it off to my client (I understand the complexity of doing these things, but my client may not see it that way). Also, I plan to place around 10 more orders of these books, shipped directly to my clients family, and I want to make sure that these are just one off issues.
I did open a support request, but I think Blurb is pretty poor with support (based on what I read online), so I don't anticipate getting a response anytime soon.
I don't have any reservations with using blurb again, and I suspect these issues are one off and I just got unlucky this time. I have about 3 more books to order, so at the end of that process, I'll evaluate and probably give the other vendors a go. But, again, if you've never printed a book, YOU HAVE TO TRY IT!!!!!