Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Classic British Tractor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:10 pm 
Classic ford Tractor looking a bit worse for ware, filter; dry brush and new sky to look more cloudy. C+c welcome :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:56 pm 
I'm not a fan of the post processing done. The angle is decent, though not unique. One suggestion would be to go closer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:03 pm 

pgtips wrote:
I'm not a fan of the post processing done. The angle is decent, though not unique. One suggestion would be to go closer.

I agree on the comments about Processing on this picture. There are certain filters in Photoshop that can make an image look quite cheap.

It'd be interesting to see what the original photo was like however!

Thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:09 pm 

The picture has potential, don't ruin it by processing it this way. :idea:

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:30 pm 
Thanks for your comments, i see what you mean now about the processing. Here is the original minus the branding and cropped slightly.

Last edited by JHM on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:35 pm 

Do you mind if I take a look at processing the image? I've got an idea in mind, and if you like it I could write you a tutorial :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:36 pm 
Please do that would be great :) thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:54 pm 

I personally prefer this image to be in colour, but Black and White is an option. Also note that everyone has their own ideas so mine may neccessarily not be the best. Some may find the blacks in the colour image too heavy.

Ok, for the colour image I did these steps:

Boost Levels and Curves for contrast boost
Duplicate the layer, set to Multiply Mode. Duplicate layer again, set layer to pin light mode
On the first layer, convert image to Black and white.

Then for the Black and white image, I converted using the Lab Colour method. If you're not familiar with this I would suggest using the desaturate feature to make to black and white. However I find this gives a flat image. If you're familiar with Lab then this is how I converted to black and white:

Image > Mode > Lab Colour
In the channels window select the Lightness Layer, and copy the image.
Convert image back to RGB colour
In the channels window, paste into each channel (excluding the one that says RGB)
Boost levels and curves as neccessary to boost contrast.

Hopefully thats shown you some possibilities?

I would also advise shooting in RAW format if you don't already - helps expand possibilities easier in my opinion.

Edit: Fixed image link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:05 pm 
WOW :D THe first one is amazing, thanks for the tutorial too, im currently using photoshop elements 2.0 lol im going to upgrade to 7, I imagine a similar affect can be done in elements?

I do shoot in RAW also but im still learning, this image has really inspired me :)

Thankyou very much for your time and help,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:12 pm 

JHM wrote:
WOW :D THe first one is amazing, thanks for the tutorial too, im currently using photoshop elements 2.0 lol im going to upgrade to 7, I imagine a similar affect can be done in elements?

I do shoot in RAW also but im still learning, this image has really inspired me :)

Thankyou very much for your time and help,

Glad you found my processing helpful.

Of course the key to photography is being able to take a picture that requires little processing ;)

I've never used elements so I'm not so sure how the setup works. I'm using photoshop CS4. Wow, Photoshop 7 - that's a really old version, think that was the first version of Photoshop I started to use which was about 6ish years ago!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:14 pm 
Quote:
I'm using photoshop CS4. Wow, Photoshop 7 - that's a really old version, think that was the first version of Photoshop I started to use which was about 6ish years ago!

Sorry i mean photoshop elements 7.0, ill have a look on the internet about the techniques you gave me to see if i can replicate them, thanks again :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:29 pm 
Well he is my attempt using elements 2.0 so not quite as good as phil'd but im quite pleased with the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 pm 

JHM wrote:
Well he is my attempt using elements 2.0 so not quite as good as phil'd but im quite pleased with the results.

Looks ok - my only critism would be that the sky is too washed out. If you compare mine with yours, mine has the clouds in it. But other than - it's an improvement from the first image!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:29 am 
Hi JHM,

As indicated by others here, there are some post processing that may make your image a little more enticing.

The overall composition is a little bland though. If you think of it as a vehicle shot - the approach that car-enthusiasts take, may show some alternate approaches. If you think of it as a grungy agrarian tool that's seen weathering and wear, another approach may come to you.

What I feel holds the picture back is the angles. You may have tried to cover too much in the frame. Excluding the sky and anything else than the tractor might offer something that draws more interest.

Examining why you want to take this picture - what you want to accomplish with it, may be a way to convey some of the same interest you feel about it.

Thanks for sharing - hope to see more!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:29 am 
Great tutorial, thanks I needed to know how.
I did like the effects of the first attempt, but phil did something really nice, the darker shadows and a heavy cloud feel.

About PSE I would wait for the 8, should be coming out soon.