Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:30 pm 
Armanius wrote:
E600? What's up with that? The E620 is already an entry level SLR, in my opinion. How about focusing on the successor for the E3? Hopefully, the E600's sensor is less noisy than the E620, and hopefully it also yields sharper images. Will definitely miss the 5xx series. RIP.

The successor to the E3 if released today would not be a significant upgrade from the E3. Realistically speaking, from a professional's point of view, movie mode, art filters, 2 more MP, and contrast based autofocus are all unnecessary addons to the E3. This is what we have to expect from a possible E[5?] if it were announced today.

Consider the Canon 7d that was anounced today, for about the same price as the E3 was when new [7d: $17000] this camera blows away the E3 in specifications. 8fps 18mp at 128,000ISO :shock:

It is true that Olympus isn't going to play the resolution game anymore, but its got some pretty stiff competition right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:49 pm 
Enche Zein wrote:
Quote:

btw, the whole thing about micro four thirds are crazy right now. If they can improve the AF to equivalent to the SLR cameras and develop a professional grade body, there is a possibility that Olympus might abandon their 4/3 system. I don't think that 4/3 system is needed at that point.

However, they might keep it alive with small improvement on the models, just to keep/slowing down 4/3 system user from switching to another system.

What do you think about this?

Doubt this will happen. Oly has too much invested in an outstanding array of 4/3's lenses which require larger bodies to properly balance.

Where I think they've been very smart is in coming out with two lines, 4/3's and now m4/3's, which compliment each other. Many will end up buying one of each and then the lenses as well, m4/3s for travel and everyday and 4/3's for special photo sessions.

I know I likely will, cost of both getting ever more being reasonable.

As for the E-3, no sooner had I written it off than I bumped into a friend today whop described how much he loves his. It's totally balanced with the heavier pro lenses and built like a tank. Or maybe I should say boat...he described how he was perched on a rock at the shore shooting when an aberrant large wave drenched him and camera alike. It came out shooting without a problem (lens and camera fully weathersealed). He later cleaned them up and nothing was the worse for it.

Different tools for different applications.

Speaking of, yes to the E650 w/ TruePicV and higher res flippy LCD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:59 pm 
Atomic wrote:
Armanius wrote:
E600? What's up with that? The E620 is already an entry level SLR, in my opinion. How about focusing on the successor for the E3? Hopefully, the E600's sensor is less noisy than the E620, and hopefully it also yields sharper images. Will definitely miss the 5xx series. RIP.

The successor to the E3 if released today would not be a significant upgrade from the E3. Realistically speaking, from a professional's point of view, movie mode, art filters, 2 more MP, and contrast based autofocus are all unnecessary addons to the E3. This is what we have to expect from a possible E[5?] if it were announced today.

Consider the Canon 7d that was anounced today, for about the same price as the E3 was when new [7d: $17000] this camera blows away the E3 in specifications. 8fps 18mp at 128,000ISO :shock:

It is true that Olympus isn't going to play the resolution game anymore, but its got some pretty stiff competition right now.

And even the Canon users are losing their minds (@ dpr) over the 7d in a negative manner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:21 am 
idavis wrote:
And even the Canon users are losing their minds (@ dpr) over the 7d in a negative manner.

what do you mean? they dont like it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:40 am 
it looks like some are pretty angry over this camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:48 am 
How come?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:53 am 
apparently with the number of megapixels in the sensor the camera has a similar pixel density to 4/3rds cameras. they're concerned about noise issues. i feel they're overreacting completely. too worried about numbers and not enough about going out there and taking photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:08 am 
Well considering the changing times and advancements of technology, higher pixel density is eventually inevitable. Thing is, if they can get their sensor with similar pixel density as our sensors to ISO12,800 then so can Olympus [I hope]
I mean the EP-1 can do 6400, we're only 1 stop away now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:30 am 
ha. how amazing it would be if the next flagship Olympus could go all the way to 12,800.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:38 am 
I wouldn't be all that surprised, however even the new D300s cannot do that so it would not be inexcusable if it didn't. But ISO6400 would be the minimum to say the least.

Obviously if the new sensor paired with TrupicV can do ISO6400 in the amateur biased EP-1, I think theres a lot more potential in the pairing.

I'm starting to think I might be wrong about the release of the E3 successor. If they can produce a camera with ISO12,800, maybe 7fps, and movie recording mode, that could be a very significant step up from the E3.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:53 am 
idavis wrote:
http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3991

Sadly the 4/5 series is now apparently discontinued.

Yesterday I finally found a shop with the E620 (Calumet). I compared it to my E-510 and found I clearly prefer the 5xx form factor, simply easier to grip and also somehow feels more solid/less plasticky. As for the viewfinder, I went back and forth and found no really noticeable improvement with the E620. The flippy LCD is definitely nice, but the size increase from 2.5 to 2.7" is again not breathtaking and resolution unchanged.

I also don't agree with smaller is better if not also appreciably lighter. Based on this experience you reach a point where ergonomics suffer for marginal decreases in size. What's the point?

So....I'm still staying put for now.

I hope Olympus brings back the E-5xx grip/size with the E-6xx features and adds into the mix serious upgrades like TruePicV's better DR (all E-510 owner's yearn for this!), a higher res 3" flip LCD and a truly improved OVF. Maybe even HD video if that's what it takes to stay with the competition in the general consumers eyes (I could care less about it).

Sounds like an E7xx to me. Pricepoint $750 body only and available by X-mas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:03 am 

I still don't see the E600 on the Olympus website and besides that, I agree with sderdiarian about the shape of the body. The E520 is better then the E620 concerning that.

So I don't know if the E600 is coming or not, but it seems Olympus is zigzagging a bit. First the E450, but no E550 and now maybe a E600, while for the lower price range an E550 would make more sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:02 am 
too bad they didnt get rid of the art filters scenes altogether. Kept the lighted buttons instead,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:43 am 
Bring on the E-5!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:40 pm 
I think E-5 will be announced this year. there is already some sign such as drop in E-3 price and some special offers by amazon.

They might be clearing away stocks and prepare for new E-5.