Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:55 pm 
ancker wrote:
Man, this is tough.....

I've got the Amazon pre-order page open as a tab in Firefox. Let's see how long I keep the tab open without clicking "Buy".

That didn't take long.

My Pre-Order is confirmed... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:56 pm 

ancker wrote:
ancker wrote:
Man, this is tough.....

I've got the Amazon pre-order page open as a tab in Firefox. Let's see how long I keep the tab open without clicking "Buy".

That didn't take long.

My Pre-Order is confirmed... :)

A good choice:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:57 pm 

JakeOConnell wrote:
but it's really in the price range of the 50D. Which is awesome. Hopefully it will drop the xxd range down in price.

I think this will be my next upgrade. Canon Really listened (flash control w/o a transmitter or additional flash)

I guess it depends on which part of the world you live in.... Twice the price for the 7D body in France vs the 50D body...currently that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:19 pm 
pgtips wrote:
Despite all that, we still do not get an AF assist lamp that even entry level Nikons get :P

FWIW, the Nikon DSLR's don't get their AF performance from the AF lamp. I've got it set to off on my D80 and D700.

Enche Zein wrote:
I am interested on the new focusing system especially zone and single. I can see it is helpful for composition in sports.

i don;t think nikon 51 af has zone AF. It has either 51 AF single or 11 AF point.
However, Nikon has many AF tracking mode.

Not sure what you mean by 'zone' af. With Nikon's AF, you can have;

with auto focus it is set to 51 points
single point with a choice of selecting from a range of 11 or 51 points
with dynamic AF you can set it to 9, 21 or 51 or 51 point with 3D Trackin.

I'm not sure I understand why it's a 7D and not a 70D. I thought the XD series models were meant to be FF?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:38 pm 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
Enche Zein wrote:
I am interested on the new focusing system especially zone and single. I can see it is helpful for composition in sports.

i don;t think nikon 51 af has zone AF. It has either 51 AF single or 11 AF point.

I'm not sure I understand why it's a 7D and not a 70D. I thought the XD series models were meant to be FF?

You and other people never stop arguing about the AF on Canon and Nikon DSLR's. Can we please be happy with what we have got for once :wink: I 'ONLY' have 9, would 51 or 19 make me a better photographer? NO, not at all! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:41 pm 

Where is it stated that xD has to be FF? 1D is 1.3x crop for starters. It seems to be more a statement about high end feature level and build.

The 7D strikes hard at the D300s region, which is where I expect the final price to settle around after the new launch dust settles. The 50D remains a lower cost option for those not wanting or needing to spend so much. I think there is enough of a gap for both models to exist.

On AF lamp, Gregory, are you claiming that in low light Nikons don't need as much light? Beyond a point, AF assist will help or become essential. Lucky you if you never have to shoot in such hostile environments.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:55 pm 
The 40D was a big seller for canon and now i think is the time those owners are looking to upgrade. Until now there really wasn't much choice. too bad I'm broke. This looks like an awesome camera. I'm excited for Gordons preview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:25 pm 
podgeorge wrote:
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
Enche Zein wrote:

You and other people never stop arguing about the AF on Canon and Nikon DSLR's. Can we please be happy with what we have got for once :wink: I 'ONLY' have 9, would 51 or 19 make me a better photographer? NO, not at all! 8)

Give it a rest George. I was simply correcting the poster. Oh, and 'yawn' @ the 7D. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:33 pm 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
podgeorge wrote:
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
Enche Zein wrote:

Give it a rest George. I was simply correcting the poster. Oh, and 'yawn' @ the 7D. 8)

7D is not good enough for you then? :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:43 pm 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
podgeorge wrote:
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
Enche Zein wrote:

I think someone is a little jealous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:21 pm 
podgeorge wrote:

I have only 9 too, and 51 or 19 would make me a better photographer. Or, at least, it would ensure I missed fewer shots thanks to my 400D's AF. So the end result would be more keepers thanks to the camera.

Unfortunately, my pre-order for the 7D is currently caught up in SAP*.

* Spousal Approval Process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:24 pm 
jouster wrote:
podgeorge wrote:

I have only 9 too, and 51 or 19 would make me a better photographer. Or, at least, it would ensure I missed fewer shots thanks to my 400D's AF. So the end result would be more keepers thanks to the camera.

Unfortunately, my pre-order for the 7D is currently caught up in SAP*.

* Spousal Approval Process.

Well i'm 8) with 9, although i wouldn't say no to more.

SAP = :lol:

Post subject: Completely new
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:07 pm 
Hi, All,
I have the Canon PS G10 (love it) but of course, it makes me really want a DLSR. I've been looking at the 50D, but now I see this new Canon which may be a better bet.
I want something that I can grow with-something challenging -and this may be it. I'll wait for the comparative reviews, as I don't have the cash right now, :roll:
But, my question is how far down do prices typically drop after the announcement of a new model? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:14 pm 

DP-Paris - mate you've got that one a bit wrong... the 1D and 1Ds have NOTHING in common... they're totally different cameras haha. If anything the 1DsMk(X)-5DMk(X) share a relationship and the 1DMk(X)-7DMk(X) share a relationship.

TBH though, I personally think its a bad move. I think everything should be going to full frame. The sample images are pretty soft, and not one lens canon sells can out perform the density of the sensor. I'd have rathered a 12-14MP FF with 5FPS 14bit with all the nice low light capabilities. Cleaner high ISO's would go down a treat with people who shoot gigs, weddings etc. and would have made a perfect modern backup to a 5DMkII.

Alas, it was not as I hoped. Looks like I'm still ordering a 1DsMkIV 8)

God people care about AF Points? Manual focus or center point. I wouldn't trust any cameras AF system on auto. None are perfectly, fortunately my vision is pretty darn good, and last I checked, I had the final say on what I focused on. So if the center point can't get it, I Manual Focus it. Saying that, I rarely have to.

You should all be making more of a fuss about Dynamic Range, 14bit vs. 16bit (instead of Nikon who are clinging to 12bit for some god forsaken reason!) and better lenses! The AF system or your creativity are both wasted if the Image quality isnt perfect!

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:47 pm 

this is what the 5dmkii should have been if it had a full frame sensor..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next